OT: True North to host UFC

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
I like watching high-level MMA. It's much more of a technical sport now than when it was first marketed. It's no longer a 'toughman' competition as it is matchups of styles and tests of fitness and athleticism. I have a black sash in kung-fu, and dabbled in some boxing. The grappling I find interesting, I only learned some very basic grappling/locks in my style. But after watching a lot of MMA I appreciate when someone puts a darce choke on, or escapes from one for that matter. Very technical.

I'd also rank MMA fighters as some of the fittest in the world. Along with boxers and tri/hept/decathletes.

If you have no interest in the sport, no need to come in here and belittle it, and by association, it's fans. Should probably just stay quiet.

I would like to go to this, but I hear tickets are incredibly expensive. $200? $500? Way too much for me. If it was $100 I'd consider it...

SubparSoup

Aug 26, 2011
Maybe TNSE can put on a dog fighting event next, heck even get Vick to come and sign autographs.
index.php

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006
The Escalade driving, tap out wearing, pit bull owners will be out in full force!:sarcasm:

In all seriousness, I have respect for the sport and athleticism. Great to see an event like this be in Winnipeg. It'll do well.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
The Escalade driving, tap out wearing, pit bull owners will be out in full force!:sarcasm:

In all seriousness, I have respect for the sport and athleticism. Great to see an event like this be in Winnipeg. It'll do well.

Well like any sport sometimes the fans of it leave something to be desired. :) I think MMA is getting less 'meatheads' nowadays because of the technical nature of a lot of the matches. I mean if you know nothing about grappling it can look boring. There's a good chance you may not see a knockout or blood, but instead a submission or a decision, or a quick stoppage by a ref.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I like watching high-level MMA. It's much more of a technical sport now than when it was first marketed. It's no longer a 'toughman' competition as it is matchups of styles and tests of fitness and athleticism. I have a black sash in kung-fu, and dabbled in some boxing. The grappling I find interesting, I only learned some very basic grappling/locks in my style. But after watching a lot of MMA I appreciate when someone puts a darce choke on, or escapes from one for that matter. Very technical.

I'd also rank MMA fighters as some of the fittest in the world. Along with boxers and tri/hept/decathletes.

If you have no interest in the sport, no need to come in here and belittle it, and by association, it's fans. Should probably just stay quiet.

I would like to go to this, but I hear tickets are incredibly expensive. $200? $500? Way too much for me. If it was $100 I'd consider it...
Apparently the Calgary show had prices of:

$650, $400, $275, $200, $125 and $85 per.

My guess is an average price of somewhere close to $200 a $3,000,000 gate seems to be something they target.

Jetbruin

Sep 22, 2011
Any event as high profile as this is good for Winnipeg. One more thing that puts us on the map. Watching half naked dudes roll around on the ground and hug for 95% of the match isn't my cup of tea but to each their own!

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Apparently the Calgary show had prices of:

$650, $400, $275, $200, $125 and $85 per.

My guess is an average price of somewhere close to $200 a $3,000,000 gate seems to be something they target.

Hmm. $200 would be the most I would be willing to spend, for something I would wager would be once or twice a year at most in Winnipeg.

I am concerned about visibility, I mean you're not going to be able discern a lot of the action from far away. MTS Centre needs a bigger video screen!

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Hmm. $200 would be the most I would be willing to spend, for something I would wager would be once or twice a year at most in Winnipeg.

I am concerned about visibility, I mean you're not going to be able discern a lot of the action from far away. MTS Centre needs a bigger video screen!

I really don't think we will see a numbered event more than once every handful of years. I also suspect the UFC will probably supply an extra screen or two. Just guessing though.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?

Ya the most ill pay to go will be 200+ fees

The MTS centre will be awesome for this type of event

Nationals28

Sep 21, 2011
I really don't think we will see a numbered event more than once every handful of years. I also suspect the UFC will probably supply an extra screen or two. Just guessing though.

I have been the several UFC events in montreal las vegas and minnesota and they have always set up around 10 or so video screens around the arena so the seats that dont have as good of a view of the octagon can still see the action. As well they show videos of the upcoming fights to fill the gaps between fights.

bodybreak

Whiteshell Wild
Jul 11, 2006
Thre's seemingly no limit to what they can do with screens. At SkyDome tey had the jumbotron already there in the outfield, but they went with all these cray visuals right above the ring as well. My question would be where do they put additional screens at MTSC? You're either hanging them from the rafters (blocking the main scoreboard or blocking seats or floor access. Not sure what they would do.

bazaaa*

I have been the several UFC events in montreal las vegas and minnesota and they have always set up around 10 or so video screens around the arena so the seats that dont have as good of a view of the octagon can still see the action. As well they show videos of the upcoming fights to fill the gaps between fights.

Pay big money to watch even live.
Sit and watch on big screen.

/meme

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Former Strikeforce champion Jake Shields will face highly rated welterweight Tyron (The Chosen One) Woodley at UFC 161 in Winnipeg this summer.

Heavyweight Pat (HD) Barry, meanwhile, will take on former LSU fullback Shawn (The Savage) Jordan

Some fights that were announced for the Wpg card.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Pay big money to watch even live.
Sit and watch on big screen.

/meme

Probably to floor and non P1 access inventory. As far as I know with my license I get 1st shot at predetermined P1 inventory although I will stand corrected if I am wrong on this event.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad