OT: True North to host UFC

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Losing the Shogun fight was a complete joke.

Uncle Dana will be sure to make up for this by stacking Toronto & Montreal cards in the future. ;)

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
I can't get out of work to make the weigh ins.

But, I will be in at the MTS Centre tomorrow night!

First time at a live UFC event!

Libertyhaze

Jan 10, 2013
Vancouver
I'm going to the weigh ins :). They're free right? Just wondering cause I was planning on going with a few buddies that couldn't get tickets. Also going to check out the UFC block party tomorrow before the fights on top of the cityplace parkade and see what that's all about. It's gonna be a good time :nod:

ajmidd12

Know-It-All
Apr 16, 2012
This Planet
Well... I went from not going to UFC 161 to not only going (sitting in Section 111) but also entered to win an additional 2 tickets via TSN1290's jousting competition....

This is going to be great!

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Still excited to go. Pissed that Shogun isn't fighting. But they tried to get someone up to fight him but they can't get Visa's in time for it.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
I just read a tweet that said Dana White confirmed that Winnipeg will get one UFC fight a year.

Didn't see that coming. The MMA crowd will be pumped for that

Nov 15, 2010
Western Canada
Still excited to go. Pissed that Shogun isn't fighting. But they tried to get someone up to fight him but they can't get Visa's in time for it.

Ya it was Chael Sonnen, apparently he has priors which made it difficult to get his papers in such short time.

I just read a tweet that said Dana White confirmed that Winnipeg will get one UFC fight a year.

Didn't see that coming. The MMA crowd will be pumped for that

Was it White's Twitter? I can't seem to find it.

Anyway, stoked for the fights tonight, the weigh in was damn cool, the doctor
Stitch+shirt+front.jpg

ended up sitting two rows in front of me, I'm guessing there were a lot more but he was the only one I recognized. Anyone going to the pre-fight festivities that are outside?

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
Ya it was Chael Sonnen, apparently he has priors which made it difficult to get his papers in such short time.

Was it White's Twitter? I can't seem to find it.

Anyway, stoked for the fights tonight, the weigh in was damn cool, the doctor
Stitch+shirt+front.jpg

ended up sitting two rows in front of me, I'm guessing there were a lot more but he was the only one I recognized. Anyone going to the pre-fight festivities that are outside?

It was the CEO of some Manitoba MMA training place I think. I would have it dig it up

Edit: I found it

@Canadian_CFC
Canadian Fighting Center in Winnipeg

Dana White confirms that Winnipeg will host 1 UFC event per year-thank you@danawhite @ShowdownJoe

civic204

Jun 1, 2012
Just got back home, had a great time!

Huge fight in the crowd during the third bout!

It was hard to see what happened from uptop but I did see a woman pull out a chair and hit a few people.

We had a fight in our section too, security was slow to show up. Like 5 minutes too slow.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Pretty terrible show with lots of boring matches. Nelson was gassed after 1 or 2 minutes..main event was OK, but kind of a disappointment actually. Saw this at a restaurant - glad I didn't pay anything to see it live. Can't imagine this was worth the $250+ most people paid to see it. Once again Western Canada gets screwed. Edmonton's turn to get screwed next year?

New gate record set at MTS Centre - $3.14 million!!

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
My thoughts on the event.

I was entertained overall and had a great time with my friends. We headed to the block party in the afternoon which was pretty decent and then went to the Shark club for bevys, shots and some apps. Then it was off to the MTS center for the prelims. I was suprised how packed it was for the prelims (Dana said 11,000 for the first prelim based on MTS numbers). Delorme lit up the arena with a win in his hometown which was great to see and be a part of and the majority of the other pre lims were decent. The only thing which killed this event for me was the Jake Shields vs Woodly fight right before the main events. In Dana white's words the fight sucked and it sucked the life out of the arena. I dont think we will see Shields be resigned by the UFC after his contract is up.

Overall had a great time! Downside was that this event was tied for the most split decisions in UFC history but it is unrealistic to expect a knockout or sub in every single fight they put on. As for the comment above about western canada getting screwed, I would more so say unlucky. These athletes train hard for their fights and sometimes they get injured and cant perform. it is not like they are just pulling the fighters out for no reason. Does it suck? yes. but it happens alot.

Would I watch another UFC live? Maybe. I was fully entertained and it was well worth the money for the almost five hours of entertainment and the events during the day. Only thing that would deter me or really make me think of not going again is the uncomfortable seating and lack of leg room as it is a very long event.

anyone know the final number count for the 50/50? Last time I saw it was at 60k + I believe. Man that would of topped of the night winning that, ha.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I had a great time. The crowd was fantastic and the atmosphere made the night for me.

Yes the card was disappointing but that can happen. I agree with the Shields/Woodley fight, so boring. Most of the fights were great though. Look forward to going again

Nov 15, 2010
Western Canada
Did anyone have a better view of the fight in the crowd on the floor(end of the Jimmo vs Pokrajac fight)? I saw the starting but then everyone in the crowd stood up to watch and blocked my view.

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
The MTS crowd was really loud & the building was packed to the roof.
Would have been twice as loud if the card was stacked & there were more finishes.

The fighters treated the fans like gold while they were in the city at the various signings & open workouts.

The weather actually cooperated for once the whole week which was awesome.

The UFC will be back in the future & is a first class operation.

Bartho

Feb 26, 2013
Wpg
I went and had a good time. I learned that my tolerance for mediocre fights is much higher when I'm in attendance. It was a fun event.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad