TV: True Detective Season 4 (starring Jodie Foster)

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Only 6 episodes? Gah the state of TV these days is awful.
I'm reasonably enjoying this season, it's not great but it's fine. But with only 6 episodes that makes me feel a lot worse about some of the fat/side plots.
Those short seasons are dumb. The 22 episode format killed a number of serialized TV shows in the 2000's but in theory its great for season long murder mysteries. Through every "case of the week" or "filler storylines" about your main characters private life you can actually introduce possible suspects for the main case without making it to obvious. In contrast with those shorter seasons the writers have to be so economical in their storytelling that you can figure out the case from like episode three most of the time. Thats why I still think "Veronica Mars" was the only TV show that ever pulled off a good season long whodunit storyline. Twice. Twin Peaks did it as well but Lynch and Frost sort of went the supernatural route, so it kinda doesn't count in my book. But other than that, I really can't think of many comparable shows with an actually satisfying conclusion at the end of the season. Maybe Dexter season one but thats kinda it.

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
Only 6 episodes? Gah the state of TV these days is awful.
I'm reasonably enjoying this season, it's not great but it's fine. But with only 6 episodes that makes me feel a lot worse about some of the fat/side plots.
Not that it is applicable to this show, but some streamers are leaning towards shorter runs and even calling all new seasons "limited series". That way, if it is successful and they decide to bring it back they can say it is due to demand, as opposed to creating disappointment when they cancel shows.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
True Detective? More like True Defective...

All that build up just to find out that Annie had it comin'

Here's a fun drinking game for the finale...

Take a drink every time Danvers yells "Navarro"

If you're still alive by the end of the episode, you win!

Last edited:

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
That was awful. I liked the first three seasons, to varying degrees but yes that includes season two, but this was just…. Not sure why they bothered or how they attached ”True Detective“ to this. Can’t see it coming back from this.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
So, Navarro died, right?

She had the same issue as her sister (and mom?), and chose to walk into the afterlife

And when Danvers said to her "If you go out there, make sure you come back" she was referring to her spirit returning as a ghost

Was that anyone else's takeaway from the ending?

Also, Jodie Foster can't weigh more than 100lbs, but we're to believe that on Dec. 31st there's a body of water in Alaska that isn't frozen over enough to support her weight?

Last edited:
Reactions: Neil Racki

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
So, Navarro died, right?

She had the same issue as her sister (and mom?), and chose to walk into the afterlife

And when Danvers said to her "If you go out there, make sure you come back" she was referring to her spirit returning as a ghost

Was that anyone else's takeaway from the ending?

Also, the Tsalal facility seems to have been built atop a hill, yet, less than 50 yards outside their door is a body of water for Danvers to fall through...

Jodie Foster can't weigh more than 100lbs, but we're to believe that on Dec. 31st there's a body of water in Alaska that isn't frozen over enough to support her weight?
The final message of the show seems to be glorifying suicide as some beautiful act that people should do, so yes I think it was that she chose to die.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Really wanted to like this season and up until the finale I was enjoying it and thought they had done a good job with setting up an uneasiness/eerie vibe, but the finale just fell so flat and really exposed the ridiculous writing.

The critic reviews were definitely paid for, this did not deserve multiple 90% scores. Sad that they wasted Jodie Foster and John Hawkes.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Season 1 - This season introduced the world to Alexandra Daddarrio. That alone should make it #1
Nighty Country
Season 3
Season 2
Season 2 was so underrated.

The seasons of best to worst just go in order as they came out.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Disagree with the previous two posters about season 2. It's the worst of the bunch. Only one good episode. A huge sophomore slump that ended up as a hollow attempt at recapturing the season 1 magic.

S1
(huge gap)
S3
(gap)
S4
S2

Reactions: JBeast

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
This season did nothing for me. Wanted to like it because, but just didn't happen.

Already picked up for another season.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
I think i would have been ok with it if they continued on with the supernatural theme in regards to the scientists dying on the ice and seeing what transpired or happened to them on the ice as that was the biggest draw for me. The women kidnapping them and bringing them out onto the ice just felt rushed and it was a poorly done ending for me.

Reactions: DaaaaB's

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Started as an A through the first three episodes. Gredaully fell off to about a B. Finale was a mess. I actually don't have an issue with any of the solutions, it's the how easy everything is that bothered me. Danvers and Navarro keep facing a challenge that is then IMMEDIATELY and easily resolved. Get into the cave. Ice breaks. Find station. Clark attacks. Interrogation, etc. Each time one of these things happened, it's like ... oh this could be good ... wait, no, problem solved already. Before you could feel the tension or thrills it was already moving to another problem.

But overall good performances. I was entertained. It was fine. I have no anger or regrets.

trojansoilers

May 4, 2022
By the time I got to the last 10 minutes, I was really hoping they’d go full on Lovecraft and just have Cthulhu emerge from the ice to make it an epic horror show

Like how the murder by the tribe was sort of ancient ritual to wake up the old ones.

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
Only finished ep 2 .. not a good casting for Jodie Foster

makes her look like a bad actor .. such a bad fit

really interesting story line but the actin is distractin

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Only finished ep 2 .. not a good casting for Jodie Foster

makes her look like a bad actor .. such a bad fit

really interesting story line but the actin is distractin
Unfortunately the storyline goes to shit as the season progresses. I thought Foster's acting was ok but found it ridiculous that every guy in town jumps into bed with a bitchy 60 year old cop who's less attractive than the wives they showed.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I finished Season 4 last night.

I'm in the minority, I liked it. It was definitely flawed but I was invested in the mystery, and I thought the solution was satisfying. I loved the setting, and thought there were at least a couple really creepy moments. I'd give it a 7/10, but I'm concerned I'm slipping based on how much the season is universally disliked.

Fripp

Sep 6, 2005
Portland, OR
I finished Season 4 last night.

I'm in the minority, I liked it. It was definitely flawed but I was invested in the mystery, and I thought the solution was satisfying. I loved the setting, and thought there were at least a couple really creepy moments. I'd give it a 7/10, but I'm concerned I'm slipping based on how much the season is universally disliked.
I liked it too, better than 2 & 3. You may be slipping for other reasons, but not this one. The critical reviews are pretty good, but there's a very loud minority that didn't like it. That's whatever, it seems to be the norm these days. Just saying that "universally disliked" is not accurate.

Reactions: JBeast and shadow1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad