TV: True Detective Season 4 (starring Jodie Foster)

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I thought season 3 was fantastic and didn't struggle at all. Maybe I need to re-watch it because I keep reading a lot of negative comments about it (not from you, just in general).

Ya, I liked it. I'm going to give it a run before I decide if it stinks. I have read a lot of comments on Reddit and Twitter about people hating the anti-white theme. I think because of what that girl said, "I can't believe I fell for a white boy." I don't know why that bothered people so much; it takes place in a large indigenous community, so it felt pretty fine to me. I was more like, WTF, why is she jerking this guy off with that little kid right there? But hey, that's just me. I dig the night theme a lot, and I hope the CGI is toned down. I don't know how I feel about the supernatural element, but I will let it play out.

Lol. I said the same thing to Mrs_NyQuil. “Didn’t he leave the door open to the kid’s room?”

Anyway, it’s like a dystopian Northern Exposure.

Reactions: 2CHAINZ

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I liked the first episode but I'm not into the supernatural vibes the show was going for this time around.

Reactions: Killer Orcas

trojansoilers

May 4, 2022
I also liked the first episode and I'm cautiously optimistic about the new season. Maybe it's the setting, as I feel the location is a major element that helps create the creepy vibe of the show. They did it successfully with Louisiana in the first season, and now with the middle of Alaska.

Also there were some nice call backs to the first season with Lone Star Beer and the spiral pattern.

Reactions: JBeast

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
The fact that is constant dark is fascinating to me too.

It always feels like it's the middle of the night, except its not, there's just no sunlight lol. Adds an eerie element.

I am not sure on the one detective's acting chops though, seemed very wooden.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
I'm on the fence about the first episode. It jumped around in time a little too much for my liking and that tended to confuse things a little, although most of the questions those flashbacks raised were eventually answered.

Like the guy above said, it gives off a bit of a supernatural vibe which I'm not into for what we all expected to be a realistic crime drama. Not giving up though and I'll see where this all goes. I'm actually looking forward to the next episode.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
So, right off the hop I got the sense that the older male sheriff may be the culprit

Foster's character asked him if he'd ever been to the research facility, and he responded sarcastically with "Yeah, me and my polar chemistry degree" or something along those lines

It's the kinda subtle throwaway line that really pops on a second viewing

But then they leaned into him being evil a little too hard with the retrieval of the files...

I'm not really sure what that was all about; why she needed the kid to steal them rather than just going over and getting them herself

Also, I have no idea who the black actress is who was demoted to trooper, but I'm guessing she got famous as a rapper. I say that only because she's not very good at acting

Prediction: At some point, she's going to replace the head of that Sponge Bob toothbrush, only to see that the base is the star-shaped murder weapon (I'm not saying that exact one is the weapon, but one that's similar)

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
First episode has me anxiously excited.

This feels like a show I could very much enjoy. It doesn't, however, feel like True Detective. For as much as season 2 was disappointing, seasons 2 and 3 at least kept a lot of the same stylistic choices in place. Even if it didn't quite work right after the masterpiece that was season 1, it still made sense than season 2 and 3 were in the same anthology series. This, however, is deviating. It's showing us a lot more that the detectives aren't aware of, and in much closer to "real time." Season 1 would let us see things just beyond the perspective of the detectives, but they were still present for the actions, it was never wholly viewer exposition. Additionally, the supernatural elements were left up to the viewer (and there existed plausible deniability thanks to drug abuse).

Not to mention the poor CGI. Why does a True Detective show need CGI Caribou, Polar Bears, and landscapes? And if they're going to be included, they should at least look a lot better than they did.

The ominious, brooding, Nordic detective show is a genre unto itself. Nordic Noir and Scandi Crime is a whole thing. And HBO has even taken the Americanized version of the genre to supernatural places before, with The Outsider. So I'm not sure why they felt the need to slap a True Detective label on this series, instead of just letting it be its own thing.

This isn't to say the show is bad. The first episode has me intrigued and wanting more. They know how to set the bait and give the viewer enough.

Also, having The Thing DVD very visibly framed next to Jodi Foster's face as she turned off the TV felt a little, well, on the nose. :laugh:

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
...wtf?

She's not even black, she's Wampanoag.

And even if she was black, just assuming she's coming from rap is.... yikes, dude.
Is that what you think someone would say if they were describing her to the police?

Detective: Is she white, black, Asian, or Hispanic?

Witness: She's Wampanoag

I doubt I'm the first person to mistakenly think she was African-American, and not Native-American

And the rapper comment was tongue-in-cheek given her tats and piercing... the point was she's obviously new to acting after having gotten famous for something else

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Is that what you think someone would say if they were describing her to the police?

I doubt I'm the first person to mistakenly think she was African-American, and not Native-American

And the rapper comment was tongue-in-cheek given her tats and piercing... the point was she's obviously new to acting after having gotten famous for something else
Yeesh dude, you can stop digging now.

Police act for descriptions, not specific races. Someone can easily say "dark skinned" and not make an assumption about her race. Even if you want to peg someone racially, Native American answers that question.

More importantly, were you describing her to police? No, you weren't. You were talking about True Detective season 4. You weren't under pressure to describe her immediately, and you have resources in front of you to look things up. It takes all of about 45 seconds to go to IMDB, search for True Detective, find out that her name is Kali Reis, and then google her. Instead you chose not only to be lazy, but to be overtly prejudiced.

Hell, her character in the show is even native.

Tongue-in-cheek or otherwise, you made blatant assumptions about someone's background and interests based solely on the color of their skin and ethnicity (which you even got wrong). That's racism dude. Plain and f***ing simple. Do better.

Reactions: DaaaaB's

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Yeesh dude, you can stop digging now.

Police act for descriptions, not specific races. Someone can easily say "dark skinned" and not make an assumption about her race. Even if you want to peg someone racially, Native American answers that question.

More importantly, were you describing her to police? No, you weren't. You were talking about True Detective season 4. You weren't under pressure to describe her immediately, and you have resources in front of you to look things up. It takes all of about 45 seconds to go to IMDB, search for True Detective, find out that her name is Kali Reis, and then google her. Instead you chose not only to be lazy, but to be overtly prejudiced.

Hell, her character in the show is even native.

Tongue-in-cheek or otherwise, you made blatant assumptions about someone's background and interests based solely on the color of their skin and ethnicity (which you even got wrong). That's racism dude. Plain and f***ing simple. Do better.
Do you research the ethnicity of every celebrity before you mention their race?

I assume Nicholas Cage is white, if I call him that, am I a racist if it turns out he's not?

I was correct in my assumption that she was famous for something else before she became an actress, and the biggest supplier of those types of actors and actresses is the music industry...

Sorry if I didn't consider the possibility that she was a country music star

Did they specifically mention her being a Native in the show? If not, that's quite an assumption to make on your part!

And maybe I did look at her IMDB page and saw that she'd starred in Black Flies last year... why would they cast a Native-American to play a black fly?

Last edited:

Pink Mist

RIP MM*
Jan 11, 2009
Toronto

If its a show that takes place in the far north of alaska? Im probably saying she's indigenous. Seems a lot more logical than assuming she's black

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Do you research the ethnicity of every celebrity before you mention their race?

I assume Nicholas Cage is white, if I call him that, am I a racist if it turns out he's not?

I was correct in my assumption that she was famous for something else before she became an actress, and the biggest supplier of those types of actors and actresses is the music industry...

Sorry if I didn't consider the possibility that she was a country music star

Did they specifically mention her being a Native in the show? If not, that's quite an assumption to make on your part!

And maybe I did look at her IMDB page and saw that she'd starred in Black Flies last year... why would they cast a Native-American to play a black fly?

Yes, they specifically mentioned her being native in the show. We even met her sister, who is also native.

If you make assumptions about someone based on their (perceived) racial background, that's racism. This isn't a hard concept to understand.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Yes, they specifically mentioned her being native in the show. We even met her sister, who is also native.

If you make assumptions about someone based on their (perceived) racial background, that's racism. This isn't a hard concept to understand.
As I've already said, that assumption was tongue-in-cheek

Keep harping it on it though... it's definitely a productive use of your time

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
As I've already said, that assumption was tongue-in-cheek

Keep harping it on it though... it's definitely a productive use of your time
"Dont worry, I'm not racist, I just make racist jokes"

Look dude, we all make mistakes. Rather than doubling down on them, learn to realize when you f***ed up, and strive to do better in the future. You did something dumb, just save some face by deleting that portion of your post and learn from the mistake.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
"Dont worry, I'm not racist, I just make racist jokes"

Look dude, we all make mistakes. Rather than doubling down on them, learn to realize when you f***ed up, and strive to do better in the future. You did something dumb, just save some face by deleting that portion of your post and learn from the mistake.
Your entire perspective is based on your mistaken assumption that I thought she was a rapper because of her skin colour

As I said, given the number of musicians who transition into acting, it was reasonable to assume she'd gotten her start in the music industry

And her race was not the reason I had jokingly said rapper, but rather because of her piercings and tattoos... not to mention her gruff demeanor

If she were white, I would've made the same assumption

And truthfully, I was surprised she had a sex scene with a male, as I assumed her character was a lesbian

Does that make me a homophobe?

Last edited:

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
The arctic is creepy as f***. Jodie Foster is doing a good job in the lead, or at least she was in part 1 I thought. Haven't watched this since the McConaughey and Harrelson season.

Appreciate a project that puts some effort into the setting.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mrfenn92

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Your entire perspective is based on your mistaken assumption that I thought she was a rapper because of her skin colour

As I said, given the number of musicians who transition into acting, it was reasonable to assume she'd gotten her start in the music industry

And her race was not the reason I had jokingly said rapper, but rather because of her piercings and tattoos... not to mention her gruff demeanor

If she were white, I would've made the same assumption

And truthfully, I was surprised she had a sex scene with a male, as I assumed her character was a lesbian

Does that make me a homophobe?
Oh, of course. That's why you called her the "pierced and tattooed actress with the gruff demeanor" in your post. Oh, wait, no, you just said "black actress."

You know you're wrong. That's why you initially posted your cringe, fake "my dad is black" post that you apparently edited to this. That's why you're back pedaling as hard as you can right now. You just can't accept admitting that you made a mistake.

And, yes, assuming someone's sexuality based on their appearance is also wrong. This isn't a hard concept to grasp.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
So Rose (the woman who followed the ghost out on the ice) let slip that the ghost's name was Travis Cohle. Spelled "Cohle," per the subtitles. As in Rust Cohle, whos dad moved to Alaska.

• Wow
Reactions: SimGrindcore

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
“Chief, you’re gonna want to see this”

Gets me every time. We were shouting it every time Jodie Foster’s phone rang before she picked up.

Reactions: Hivemind

Il Stugotz

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2008
44 miles from Chicago
I like that’s it’s not unrelentingly grim.

Lots of fodder for analysis, which I’ll leave to the Redditors

One example was the metal band poster on that miner’s wall looked insane, like a bizarre fake Metallica poster. It caught my eye and was so weird, but it’s probably just a distraction. Just seems like there’s lots of allusions and clues it’s hard to know what to focus on.

I like how casually mean the characters are to each other

Il Stugotz

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2008
44 miles from Chicago
These posters wtf
1705897313485.png

If this is just AI background filler I’m going to take a walk on the ice

Reactions: Hivemind

Ad

Upcoming events