TV: True Detective Season 4 (starring Jodie Foster)

PunchImlach is Alive

Jul 15, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Out of curiosity, I then look up Trooper Navarro, real name Kali Reis, and discover she is a former two-time world boxing champion. Since the rise of MMA I've gravitated to MMA and away from boxing and I did not know this.

This woman could probably kick all our asses. :laugh:

View attachment 810345

I've met Kali a bunch of times across a couple different worlds. She's awesome. Like the nicest and most humble person. Incredibly generous with her time. And she is absolutely no joke when it comes to boxing. Tough as nails and stepped away just as her boxing career was really taking off. If there was money in it, she'd probably still be doing it.

Thrilled she got this role which really came out of nowhere. I think her pivot to acting probably got a little stunted by both COVID and the strike but she's probably got a solid career ahead. If you haven't seen it, "Catch the Fair One" was the film that really put her on the radar and it's pretty good. Lots of her boxing in it

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
I've met Kali a bunch of times across a couple different worlds. She's awesome. Like the nicest and most humble person. Incredibly generous with her time. And she is absolutely no joke when it comes to boxing. Tough as nails and stepped away just as her boxing career was really taking off. If there was money in it, she'd probably still be doing it.

Thrilled she got this role which really came out of nowhere. I think her pivot to acting probably got a little stunted by both COVID and the strike but she's probably got a solid career ahead. If you haven't seen it, "Catch the Fair One" was the film that really put her on the radar and it's pretty good. Lots of her boxing in it
I checked her boxing out when I discovered she was a world champ. You're right. She's good at boxing and good at acting.

That movie is rated very high on Rotten Tomatoes and by critics. I've been searching for a download link for the last half hour and can't find any. All I'm getting are standard definition. It's in my Kodi list though and it may be available at other times and I'll check again. Thanks for the heads-up.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Count me in as one who is skeptical of the supernatural bit.

Thought the rookie was going to go last night when they went back to find that guy.

Reactions: DaaaaB's

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
This season is reminiscent of Fortitude... which also featured Christopher Eccleston

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
I got this feeling Danvers step-daughter is going to go missing at some point here. just based on the way she is getting into the culture and anti-oil movement. She will be the next Annie, probably not to the extreme of death but missing and they will have to save her some how.

Il Stugotz

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2008
44 miles from Chicago
These final two episodes need to be incredibly strong to redeem this show for me. Unfortunately, creating a strong ending is the hardest part!

Oh well, I enjoyed some of the outdoor shots at least

1707318996577.png

Although I wonder if this is a real location or composite CGI thing because wouldn't avalanches be a big problem?

Last edited:

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
These final two episodes need to be incredibly strong to redeem this show for me. Unfortunately, creating a strong ending is the hardest part!

View attachment 815897

Although I wonder if this is a real location or composite CGI thing because wouldn't avalanches be a big problem?

Most of the show is filmed in Keflavik, Iceland, but they also did some establishing shots in various locations in Alaska. No idea if that particular shot is real or a composite.

Reactions: Il Stugotz

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
I am going to finish it because I like the setting, and the main storyline is interesting enough, but some of the dialogue and writing is awful.

Danvers' daughter vandalizes private property, then when her mom saves her gets mad at her mom for never taking her side?

We've watched Prior and his wife fight about work like 4 times now then he just randomly shouts out that she never wanted his baby or to get married?

Like wtf lol

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I am going to finish it because I like the setting, and the main storyline is interesting enough, but some of the dialogue and writing is awful.

Danvers' daughter vandalizes private property, then when her mom saves her gets mad at her mom for never taking her side?

We've watched Prior and his wife fight about work like 4 times now then he just randomly shouts out that she never wanted his baby or to get married?

Like wtf lol
The ol' wife nagging about her husband working too much plot line has been overworked for decades, and should be retired

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
This last episode was some of the worst TV I’ve seen in a while lol

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Only 6 episodes? Gah the state of TV these days is awful.
I'm reasonably enjoying this season, it's not great but it's fine. But with only 6 episodes that makes me feel a lot worse about some of the fat/side plots.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
One thought I have had about the season so far is that the show is called "True Detective" yet the vast majority of the detective work is being done by a 20-something year old junior patrol officer off screen. Every episode Prior shows up with massive clues or progress in the case that drives most of the investigation forward but we never see him doing that detective work.

Reactions: JetsWillFly4Ever

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
One thought I have had about the season so far is that the show is called "True Detective" yet the vast majority of the detective work is being done by a 20-something year old junior patrol officer off screen. Every episode Prior shows up with massive clues or progress in the case that drives most of the investigation forward but we never see him doing that detective work.
Plot twist: He's been a ghost the whole time

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
It's because this wasn't a True Detective show originally. It was Night Country, and then HBO decided to slap a True Detective label on it (and a bunch of references to season 1).

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
It's because this wasn't a True Detective show originally. It was Night Country, and then HBO decided to slap a True Detective label on it (and a bunch of references to season 1).
really? I thought Night Country was written to be an intentional opposite of S1.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
really? I thought Night Country was written to be an intentional opposite of S1.
"But, that's because when she envisioned the project originally, it had nothing to do with the show. López says she initially pitched an idea for a project called Night Country, which she describes as "a murder mystery in the ice," and it was HBO who suggested it could be True Detective instead — an idea she says never even crossed her mind. Once the two parties agreed, Night Country became True Detective: Night Country, and López had the unenviable task of "recalling what connected so powerfully with so many people around the world, but at the same time, doing it in your own voice and making it your own.""

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008

View attachment 815897

Doesn't look quite steep enough except for that bowl.. maybe that spot doesn't get a lot of snow like some mountains, south facing can also change conditions.

Reactions: Il Stugotz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad