TV: True Detective Season 4 (starring Jodie Foster)

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Pizzalatto is an average writer at best, even by pulp standards. He could get away with this in season 1 because he was able to successfully rip off better writers like Thomas Ligotti and Cormac McCarthy. Then it was mostly Fukunaga who carried that season anyway. But the conclusion of the case was already pretty lackluster back then. After that season 2 was a hot mess and season 3 was just painfully average and cliché ridden throughout. And now it seems like the big Innovation for the new season are strong female lead characters. Yay. HBO should have let this one die a long time ago...

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Pizzalatto is an average writer at best, even by pulp standards. He could get away with this in season 1 because he was able to successfully rip off better writers like Thomas Ligotti and Cormac McCarthy. Then it was mostly Fukunaga who carried that season anyway. But the conclusion of the case was already pretty lackluster back then. After that season 2 was a hot mess and season 3 was just painfully average and cliché ridden throughout. And now it seems like the big Innovation for the new season are strong female lead characters. Yay. HBO should have let this one die a long time ago...

Seasons 2 and 3 are both good and Pizzalatto isn’t the writer of this season from what I’ve seen.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Seasons 2 and 3 are both good and Pizzalatto isn’t the writer of this season from what I’ve seen.

Season two has some good individual scenes but is terrible as a whole. Season 3 is very average and painfully formulatic. Almost every scene was just flat out copied from a number of other TV police procedurals that aired over the last 30 years. I did not know that Pizzalatto had left the show. Thats probably a good thing as long as the new showrunners don't try too hard to emulate his shtick. I don't see why they don't just try to develop another concept for a new show though if anybody affiliated with the first season has left at this point anyway. I guess they wan't to milk the cow a little further.

Reactions: AtlantaWhaler

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Season 4 will start in January 2024.

from deadline.com:

true-detective-night-country.jpg

Jodie Foster, Kali Reis in True Detective: Night Country

We’ll have to wait a bit longer than planned for the premiere of HBO's True Detective: Night Country, starring Jodie Foster and Kali Reis.

A specific premiere date had not previously been announced, but the fourth installment of HBO’s crime anthology series was included in Max’s 2023 programming sizzle reel as one of its upcoming originals set to premiere this year. The premiere window is now listed as 2024 on the show’s website and HBO confirmed it’s set to premiere in January. The exact reason for the delay is not known, but several TV shows and films have been pushed due to the ongoing writers and actors strikes.

In Night Country, when the long winter night falls in Ennis, Alaska, the eight men who operate the Tsalal Arctic Research Station vanish without a trace. To solve the case, detectives Liz Danvers (Foster) and Evangeline Navarro (Reis) must confront their pasts and the dark truths lying underneath the Arctic ice.

John Hawkes, Christopher Eccleston, Fiona Shaw, Finn Bennett, Anna Lambe, Aka Niviâna, Isabella Star Lablanc, and Joel D. Montgrand also star.

Dec 29, 2004
Season 4 will start in January 2024.

from deadline.com:

true-detective-night-country.jpg

Jodie Foster, Kali Reis in True Detective: Night Country

We’ll have to wait a bit longer than planned for the premiere of HBO's True Detective: Night Country, starring Jodie Foster and Kali Reis.

A specific premiere date had not previously been announced, but the fourth installment of HBO’s crime anthology series was included in Max’s 2023 programming sizzle reel as one of its upcoming originals set to premiere this year. The premiere window is now listed as 2024 on the show’s website and HBO confirmed it’s set to premiere in January. The exact reason for the delay is not known, but several TV shows and films have been pushed due to the ongoing writers and actors strikes.

In Night Country, when the long winter night falls in Ennis, Alaska, the eight men who operate the Tsalal Arctic Research Station vanish without a trace. To solve the case, detectives Liz Danvers (Foster) and Evangeline Navarro (Reis) must confront their pasts and the dark truths lying underneath the Arctic ice.

John Hawkes, Christopher Eccleston, Fiona Shaw, Finn Bennett, Anna Lambe, Aka Niviâna, Isabella Star Lablanc, and Joel D. Montgrand also star.
Heh, I thought that was a pic from Fargo at first glance.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Debuts January 14th - 2024 on HBO and HBO Canada.

from variety.com:

HBO has set the premiere date for the Season 4 of "True Dectective."

Officially dubbed “True Detective: Night Country,” the six-episode season will launch on Jan. 14 at 9 p.m. ET/PT on HBO and Max. Jodie Foster and Kali Reis star in this season, while Issa López serves as showrunner, writer, and director of all episodes.

HBO also released a new teaser, which can be seen below.

The official description for the season states, “When the long winter night falls in Ennis, Alaska, the eight men who operate the Tsalal Arctic Research Station vanish without a trace. To solve the case, Detectives Liz Danvers (Foster) and Evangeline Navarro (Reis) will have to confront the darkness they carry in themselves, and dig into the haunted truths that lie buried under the eternal ice.”

Along with Foster and Reis, the cast includes Finn Bennett, Fiona Shaw, with Christopher Eccleston, Isabella Star LaBlanc, and John Hawkes. Anna Lambe, Aka Niviâna, June Thiele, Diane Benson, and Joel D. Montgrand are guest stars.

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
It will be interesting to see where it goes, but stuff I didn't like was the distracting CGI, the soundtrack that insisted upon itself and some of the ChatGPT dialogue.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
First episode was alright, felt more like a supernatural horror though. This show has really struggled with tone post season one.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I liked it.

Jodie Foster’s kind of butchy chief is against type and the aggressive vet partner is pretty tough too but in believable ways.

They have to manage the vision and supernatural elements properly and not let them take over the procedural police work.

Hopefully it won’t end in some crude message about environmentalism.

Reactions: Smelling Salt

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
First episode was alright, felt more like a supernatural horror though. This show has really struggled with tone post season one.
I thought season 3 was fantastic and didn't struggle at all. Maybe I need to re-watch it because I keep reading a lot of negative comments about it (not from you, just in general).
I liked it.

Jodie Foster’s kind of butchy chief is against type and the aggressive vet partner is pretty tough too but in believable ways.

They have to manage the vision and supernatural elements properly and not let them take over the procedural police work.

Hopefully it won’t end in some crude message about environmentalism.
Ya, I liked it. I'm going to give it a run before I decide if it stinks. I have read a lot of comments on Reddit and Twitter about people hating the anti-white theme. I think because of what that girl said, "I can't believe I fell for a white boy." I don't know why that bothered people so much; it takes place in a large indigenous community, so it felt pretty fine to me. I was more like, WTF, why is she jerking this guy off with that little kid right there? But hey, that's just me. I dig the night theme a lot, and I hope the CGI is toned down. I don't know how I feel about the supernatural element, but I will let it play out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad