True Believers Roll Call

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
I just want to an excuse to hide warm hamburgers in my pants and then throw them on the ice at the end of the game.

I'm curious what Binnington would earn as a fan tribute if he went on a Hamburgler-esque run. His name doesn't exactly inspire anything, all I can think of is Beanie babies (Beanie-ton) or actual Beanies...

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
With a healthy roster i believe they could have a run much like the beginning of last year and string together a few 3 game winning streaks etc.... However, i don't have much faith in the roster competing once the playoffs begin and i see more value in:
1. Adding a top-10 draft pick next year.
2. Trading a core-piece or two not only to re-shape the locker room but to bring in a top pairing LD or atleast a guy with top pairing upside.
3. Bring in a coach with a vision.
4. Name O'Reilly captain, once the new coaching structure is in place.

Honestly im re-signing Schenn and Pie(Don't know if he'll stay if he's stripped the C) in my scenario, I think we can turn it around but im looking at NEXT year as to when we can not only be competitive again, but also hopefully with the kids more developed also parlay that into playoff success going forward as well.

Reactions: cardinalnation

Girth Butcher

Mar 15, 2014
St. Louis
I Bleed Blue, like most of the many great posters who comment on this forum. I will follow the Blues, as I have for 50 years, and I hope to someday be rewarded for the emotional and financial support I have invested.

That said, I’m very hesitant to get too excited about the team. I like many of the players, and feel they are starting to get things sorted out and will be more competitive as the New Year approaches. However, I think they have dug themselves too big of a hole. It’s not just making up a few points, they have to climb over a lot of teams, and that is not easy to do.

While I am supportive, I just don’t believe this team has the attitude, aptitude, fortitude AND leadership to get there. I am hoping they do, but if they aren’t going to be competitive, they at least start building toward next year and beyond. Sell what you can, buy what you need, and build for the future.

Reactions: cardinalnation

mw2noobbuster

Jun 28, 2016
Alberta, Canada
I love this team and I think they're gonna go far in a year or two, I always cheer for a win. But the reality is that this team has to play lights out for basically the rest of the season to make the playoffs. With how bipolar this team has been, with inconsistent goaltending, it seems extremely unlikely.

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
If Armstrong would of made 1 or 2 deals to shake up the team, then I could see a turn around. But sitting with your arms folded and just waiting for a sign on what direction to take does nothing for this team. But that's Doug. He's still looking for a sign.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
If Armstrong would of made 1 or 2 deals to shake up the team, then I could see a turn around. But sitting with your arms folded and just waiting for a sign on what direction to take does nothing for this team. But that's Doug. He's still looking for a sign.

Sometimes no action is better than whatever action happens to be available. When Armstrong is patient, he gets the best deals. When he is pressured into making a move, eg Miller or Oshie, he makes bad trades. I for one am glad he is not panicking.

What 1-2 moves do you recommend? Then ask yourself

1) Is the other team interested?
2) Can we get good value now with most of our best assets playing relatively poorly?
3) Do the moves address what's wrong with the team? (Corollary question, do you know what is wrong with the team?)
4) How does the new player fit in with our next coach/philosophy? (Corollary question, what is our next team philosophy/strategy?)
5) Besides the over-used an impossible to define/quantify roster shake-up, how does the move make us better going forward?

I am far from an Armstrong apologist. I want him gone. But if we are stuck with him, I want him patient and calculating as opposed to making trades for the sake of change. If you really analyze potential deals, there is no easy way to make this team better than it can be. Even in my ideal, best case scenario of trades, a lot has to break right and a lot of assumptions about what is wrong with the team have to be accurate for us to eventually be a better team than we already should be.

Reactions: simon IC

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
Sometimes no action is better than whatever action happens to be available. When Armstrong is patient, he gets the best deals. When he is pressured into making a move, eg Miller or Oshie, he makes bad trades. I for one am glad he is not panicking.

What 1-2 moves do you recommend? Then ask yourself

1) Is the other team interested?
2) Can we get good value now with most of our best assets playing relatively poorly?
3) Do the moves address what's wrong with the team? (Corollary question, do you know what is wrong with the team?)
4) How does the new player fit in with our next coach/philosophy? (Corollary question, what is our next team philosophy/strategy?)
5) Besides the over-used an impossible to define/quantify roster shake-up, how does the move make us better going forward?

I am far from an Armstrong apologist. I want him gone. But if we are stuck with him, I want him patient and calculating as opposed to making trades for the sake of change. If you really analyze potential deals, there is no easy way to make this team better than it can be. Even in my ideal, best case scenario of trades, a lot has to break right and a lot of assumptions about what is wrong with the team have to be accurate for us to eventually be a better team than we already should be.

Nylander was all lined up for a straight up trade with Petro. You'd get a 22 year old kid, the 8th pick in his draft, truly a modern day offensive talent. That trade should of happened early in the year.

As far as what's wrong with the team, IMO this team could use 2 or 3 bowling balls in the lineup, guys that can hit and score to help gel the team more. But at this point do you try and save the season now or do you think about the future? At this point, I'm inclined to think about the future, and acquire young talent and picks. Either way, the Nylander deal would be good for the Blues.

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
Me, checking in on the believers.

3b29ad70-d610-4627-bd19-79f5d01fe232-gif.169547

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
Nylander was all lined up for a straight up trade with Petro. You'd get a 22 year old kid, the 8th pick in his draft, truly a modern day offensive talent. That trade should of happened early in the year.

As far as what's wrong with the team, IMO this team could use 2 or 3 bowling balls in the lineup, guys that can hit and score to help gel the team more. But at this point do you try and save the season now or do you think about the future? At this point, I'm inclined to think about the future, and acquire young talent and picks. Either way, the Nylander deal would be good for the Blues.
Any trade involving parayko is a no go for me. He's a great selling point when the blues start negotiating with petro. Just look at how his game has elevated while he's been out.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Nobody is running away with those wildcard spots. The door is opening. If they win 8 of 10 or something I think they’re right there. One game under 50% point pace. I think that’s a good psychological accomplishment.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada

We need to tighten up defensively. This pertains as much to the forwards as to the actual defense corps, if not more so. How does adding a soft, defensively suspect forward at the expense of a solid two-way defenseman help this team at all? I want nothing to do with William Nylander.

Last edited:

Zamadoo

Hail to the CHIEF
Apr 4, 2013
I'm on board the playoff train. I hope the Hawks draft Hughes and he sucks.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
after looking at the standings in the West...again...it's clear that the Blues SHOULD make the playoffs...even after that disastrous start to the season. There is so much mediocrity from seeds 5-12, and an extremely good/bad stretch of 10-games could flip all of these standings on their head. The Blues have actually got to start feeling pretty good about things now that Yeo is out of the picture, the team is starting to get healthy and having a little bit of success. It will probably come down to the season series with Dallas as to whether or not the Blues will make the playoffs as those two teams should be battling for the final spot.

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
We need to tighten up defensively. This pertains as much to the forwards as to the actual defense corps, if not more so. How does adding a soft, defensively suspect forward at the expense of a solid two-way defenseman help this team at all? I want nothing to do with William Nylander.

And yet the people here would go crazy if Kyrou resembled anything close to Nylander because he's theoretically in the same mold. Blues fans should be so lucky if he reaches that potential. I'm all for a tough team, and that's why I don't want any part of a Petro extension, but there is always room for a speedy, skilled forward who can score.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL

If Army would have accepted a Nylander for Pietrangelo, one-for-one, trade with Toronto Stillman should have intervened and fired him on the spot. You don't trade true #1D guys who are established and in the prime of their careers for one-dimensional 2nd-line wingers. That's beyond asinine.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
If Army would have accepted a Nylander for Pietrangelo, one-for-one, trade with Toronto Stillman should have intervened and fired him on the spot. You don't trade true #1D guys who are established and in the prime of their careers for one-dimensional 2nd-line wingers. That's beyond asinine.

It's amazing to me that people dislike Pietrangelo. Truly amazing.

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis

Stillman should of fired Army a long time ago. It was brilliant how Army hung on to Shattenkirk till the actual trade deadline and shortened his options. Would of served him right if Shattenkirk had hurt himself and was out for the year. If you think Army will net more than Nylander for Petro, then I disagree. See what Ottawa got for Karlsson as they waited till the end. Nylander is a 22 year old, top 10 pick, which the Blues might very well miss out on next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad