True Believers Roll Call

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
To make the playoffs we are going to continue to see improvement from the skaters and Allen to continue looking like a competent starter. Either of those doesn’t happen and we aren’t making it.

It’s obvious that our skaters have been underperforming, but our system has nights like that Calgary game and you question if any sort of run is sustainable.

Games like tonight are pretty close to must win as well. Against a team we will need to pass, can’t spot them another 2 points.

Reactions: cardinalnation

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I threw in the towel after the last game they played against Vancouver. Beating them on their home ice would show they are turning the corner in my eyes. They cannot worry about who is leaving the door open and such. If the Blues take care of business in most of their games they will make the playoffs, if they don't they will not. It's really that simple. They have to realize the playoffs really start now for them. Due to losses to Western conference teams like Chicago three times, Minnesota twice, Vancouver, Arizona and Anaheim they need to play exceptional hockey, especially against the West to make it happen. Their play against the elite teams of the league gives a lot of room for hope however. I think that they can still make it. I am with you man.

Well, we saw how the game turned out, especially with Allen letting in 2 bad goals. After winning 2 games they either don't show up ready to play, play with no confidence, or have terrible luck, or Allen implodes. They just don't have confidence they can win more than 2 games in a row, or even more than 1 in regulation. How are they going to win enough to pass so many teams? I don't see it happening. But, we might need that to keep Schenn from leaving.

mw2noobbuster

Jun 28, 2016
Alberta, Canada
I appreciate the optimism of this thread but this team has no chance. No consistency, no structure, no killing instinct. I don't even know what to do, I thought this roster could compete for a cup. I think the issue goes beyond coaching and that's scary.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
With this franchise, it's always something.

I am constantly annoyed at how the bar is raised to making the playoffs and not much more. That mindset isn't what makes a champion and until that mindset is eradicated from the franchise and fans, I don't see what difference making the playoffs would make. This team doesn't need an identity, they need a soul and resolve.

JR1

Dec 22, 2016
Two softies took the wind out of them last night. When they get blasted again Saturday afternoon I think playoffs will then be only a slim chance. Allen calling for goalie interference on the first goal was laughable. I have always been an Allen supporter but as many good saves as he makes there’s always a softie to deflate the team.

Last edited:

blues hillbilly

Nov 28, 2018
I believe the world ultimately doesn't give a damn what I believe.

I believe when the going gets tough, the tough get going. Upon completion of this season, the players and coaches will answer that question.

Then will it be tough enough to make the big step.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
That last game felt like one the Blues should win during the first period. But the confidence is still fragile, and Jake Allen is still schizophrenic in goal. But I still think they're trending the right direction. I still watch them play and feel like the players believe they have a shot at the playoffs. Until the players look like they've given up on that, I'll keep feeling like they have a shot.

I'll reiterate, if you have criticisms of those of us who are still hopeful, or if you have cynical things to say about the team...I probably have moments where I agree with you. But please, just post it in literally any other thread on this board right now where that is the majority of the discussion. I just want one thread where we can nurture the little flicker of hope and try to look at the Blues through the lens of optimism for a while longer. And if things start to look more encouraging, I want a place to celebrate that without dealing with whining about the negative impact on the draft pick. Please respect that for this one thread.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
9 points behind WC2, Oilers with 2 games at hand.

12 points behind WC1, Knights with 4 games at hand.

Definitely still possible. Blues win a few more games they blew and they're right there.

Last edited:

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
9 points behind WC2, Oilers with 2 games at hand.

12 points behind WC1, Knightd with 4 games at hand.

Definitely still possible. Blues win a few more games they blew and they're right there.
Its disappointing after a loss where the Blues looked pretty sharp for long stretches. But there's another game tomorrow, so maybe we'll see improvement.

cardinalnation

Mar 4, 2012
I look at us, and look at the Jets, Preds, Lightning, Leafs and Caps....:help:

Can we honestly compete?

They can because if the games in hand but things need to change immediately. They just can't give away any more games by failing to even show up for entire periods.
I also think there needs to be accountability. Chris Thorburn or even Sosh is probably a better choice than Maroon right now. He is not even being physical. Thorn will be and he is much faster than Paddy at this point. Also Dunn needs to sit. His giveaways are just killing them and they don't have a goalie that can bail them out over and over. Maybe play the Sunny line more. They are one of the few bright spots. Can they do the same in non sheltered minutes though? Drop Bozek- Steen to 4th line minutes. Steen is concussed and Bozek needs a wake up call. Play Schmaltz or trade him. Looks like Butler has now passed him by. I don't get it. Look hard at Burakovsky with the Caps. He would immediately help our speed and power play. My take is they could still make a run but have to tighten up everywhere. Every last shift. They have dug a pretty big hole.

Eldon Reid

Dec 13, 2018
They can because if the games in hand but things need to change immediately. They just can't give away any more games by failing to even show up for entire periods.
I also think there needs to be accountability. Chris Thorburn or even Sosh is probably a better choice than Maroon right now. He is not even being physical. Thorn will be and he is much faster than Paddy at this point. Also Dunn needs to sit. His giveaways are just killing them and they don't have a goalie that can bail them out over and over. Maybe play the Sunny line more. They are one of the few bright spots. Can they do the same in non sheltered minutes though? Drop Bozek- Steen to 4th line minutes. Steen is concussed and Bozek needs a wake up call. Play Schmaltz or trade him. Looks like Butler has now passed him by. I don't get it. Look hard at Burakovsky with the Caps. He would immediately help our speed and power play. My take is they could still make a run but have to tighten up everywhere. Every last shift. They have dug a pretty big hole.

I agree with you 100% on Maroon. Maroon looked good on PP at beginning of the year. Since that he hasn't done anything

Eldon Reid

Dec 13, 2018
Honestly, I haven't given up yet. I still believe this team can make run to get to the playoffs. Honestly I feel that this could be the team you don't want to play 1st round playoff if we make it and get going.

Last 10 we are 5-4-1. I feel like this is like the playoff hump we could never get over. We couldn't beat Chicago but when we did we went to WCF.

I feel if they can put a 3 game winning streak together we can put ourselves back in position. We have game in hands, just need to win them (THE BIG ISSUE).

Reactions: i aint Dunn yet

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
I'm hoping we see a Andrew Hammond run from Jordan Binnington. Hammond won, what, 20 of 24 games?

That's the time of magic and confidence that could get this team to the playoffs.

Close, but not quite. Hammond went 20-1-2 with 1.79 GAA and a 0.941 save percentage. Then he lost the crease to Anderson after dropping the first 2 games to Montreal in the playoffs.

That would be phenomenal if Binnington could pull those kinds of numbers off for even 12 games. 12 games like that would completely transform how this squad looks on the ice.

It would also give all of players contemplating their future another reason to stay. Because, Schenn has got to be wondering about the team's future and potential as a contender at this stage big time.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
We have game in hands, just need to win them (THE BIG ISSUE).
People have been saying that for a while, and we keep pissing them away. We're quickly getting to the point of hoping this team gets hot while playing a bunch of road games, and that's a really bad spot to be in - especially when you're no better away from home than you are at home.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
You can count me in, SY. I will always root for this team to win. I have never favoured a "tank". nor will I. I honestly think the players would never do that, anyway. Despite comments to the contrary, I honestly think there is a lot of pride in this group. They want to win, and you can see how demoralized they are when they lose. They look lost. A playoff berth is almost a miracle at this point, but I will never stop hoping it comes to pass. Go Blues!

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
I want to believe. Too much talent on this team to be in the tank for Hughes sweepstakes.

I'll do my part to tune in more (need to put the controller down for a while anyway).

Edit: I think we have some good pieces and a decent roster. Not sure what else we might need except a new coach/vision and a few players to stay healthy/round back into form. On paper, this team can make noise in the playoffs.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad