Player Discussion Troy Terry

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Him and Zegras have now clicked for goals in 3 games in a row, very good sign. Henrique and him continue to have very good chemistry. Makes Henrique’s contract look much better now and not really much of a concern.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Him and Zegras have now clicked for goals in 3 games in a row, very good sign. Henrique and him continue to have very good chemistry. Makes Henrique’s contract look much better now and not really much of a concern.

It really doesn’t though. There’s still three years left on the contract, this random hot streak doesn’t mean we are out of the woods with it.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
It really doesn’t though. There’s still three years left on the contract, this random hot streak doesn’t mean we are out of the woods with it.

Yeah but when he is playing like this it’s a little easier to swallow. But yeah 3 years is a lot and with a flat cap not good.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
50-60 pts for him is definitely not out of the question. needs to get stronger but the skill level for that type of production is there

Reactions: Leonardo87

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Could it be because that there is finally another skilled player on his line? :laugh:

Terry is still definitely not a finished product but has been intriguing again lately.

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
Could it be because that there is finally another skilled player on his line? :laugh:

Terry is still definitely not a finished product but has been intriguing again lately.

He tries plays like that all the time. The difference in that play (and lately) is execution.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
He is becoming a damn good defensive player with his stick and instincts.

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
Terry is a great example to be patient with players. That it takes 4-5 years in the league to put it all together for players that are considered a project. Steel may be the other one.

I'm not particularly willing to declare that Terry has "put it all together" because he looked amazing for a five-game stretch. He was starting to disappear again before he got hurt, and he still has a huge problem getting shots on net if they aren't free breaks. He's going to have a very hard time being a consistent 20-goal guy averaging 1-2 shots per game.

But if he has, then keep in mind that it wasn't just "give a lot of playing time to Terry and wait for him to turn out OK."

We had to give a lot of playing time to a *lot* of players to find that one diamond in the rough, and a lot of them never put it together and are never going to put it together, and we lost a lot of NHL games doing it. Now, we were in a position where we were losing those games anyway, so we could afford to do it for a few years. But it's not something you want to be able to do consistently.

Last edited:

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
He makes something happen every shift he is on the ice most the time.

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
I noted this in the last GDT, but one observation I’ve noticed with Terry as the year has gone on is that he’s started to consistently win battles down low and in the corners in the offensive zone because he’s figured out how to stay inside of the opponent’s checks long enough where he can spin off of them, which he gets away with because his hands are so good that he can stickhandle in a phone booth. Zegras could learn a lot from watching his tape in that regard.

His acceleration and first step have improved leaps and bounds since he’s come into the league as well. Looks like the guys who held on his stock are experiencing the payoff in their belief

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
I was and am the biggest Terry supporter on here, hope he continues to get better he could be a huge impact player for us. He is also super well spoken and seems to have good leadership attributes.

Reactions: Kalv

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
  • I noted this in the last GDT, but one observation I’ve noticed with Terry as the year has gone on is that he’s started to consistently win battles down low and in the corners in the offensive zone because he’s figured out how to stay inside of the opponent’s checks long enough where he can spin off of them, which he gets away with because his hands are so good that he can stickhandle in a phone booth. Zegras could learn a lot from watching his tape in that regard.

His acceleration and first step have improved leaps and bounds since he’s come into the league as well. Looks like the guys who held on his stock are experiencing the payoff in their belief
Yep. It's not necessarily a matter of raw strength, he's gotten better at skating himself into inside position.

The other improvement I've seen is in his hands. He's always been able to pull off the occasional flashy play like a slick toe drag, but in the past he's massive struggled to consistently control pucks, either off passes or loose. When he turned it on last month, he turned that weakness into a strength

He still needs to show way more consistency before he can comfortably settle in as a sure top-9 NHL forward. He needs to get a lot more shots on net and he needs to figure out a role on the PP, where he is often the other team's best PK guy.

But he's gone from a guy who can occasionally give you a cool play to a guy who can be your best forward for weeks at a time. That's a huge step forward.

I still wouldn't be upset if we traded him, but the asking price should get higher than it was six months ago.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Yep. It's not necessarily a matter of raw strength, he's gotten better at skating himself into inside position.

The other improvement I've seen is in his hands. He's always been able to pull off the occasional flashy play like a slick toe drag, but in the past he's massive struggled to consistently control pucks, either off passes or loose. When he turned it on last month, he turned that weakness into a strength

He still needs to show way more consistency before he can comfortably settle in as a sure top-9 NHL forward. He needs to get a lot more shots on net and he needs to figure out a role on the PP, where he is often the other team's best PK guy.

But he's gone from a guy who can occasionally give you a cool play to a guy who can be your best forward for weeks at a time. That's a huge step forward.

I still wouldn't be upset if we traded him, but the asking price should get higher than it was six months ago.

That makes one.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
He is becoming a damn good defensive player with his stick and instincts.
You can tell he has really embraced the "2 way" style but coaching staff is still giving Zegras line reign to be creative. Really like what I am seeing from that line they fight so hard to get the puck back if they lose it.

Reactions: Kalv

Bergey37

May 19, 2019
I am no doubt in a very small minority here, but frankly I'm just not seeing all the great stuff you guys are talking about.

It's 3 years now in the NHL for Terry. His 1st he didn't get a lot of time up here and struggled, as most rookies do. We expected more in his 2nd year after working on weight and conditioning. It didn't happen. He got sent down to learn how to be a line driver. It worked with the Gulls, but not with the Ducks. Now in his 3rd year we were looking for the breakout - that hasn't happened either. I can agree that we've seen some progress from him this year; that was especially true when he was playing with Rico. But then he started playing with Getzlaf, and fell back into old habits; even picking up a few bad ones from Getz, like behind-the-back passes to nowhere. Now he's on the top line and if there ever was a passenger, he's it. Yes he had a highlight reel shootout goal, and he shoveled the puck to Raks who made the perfect pass to MC. But his good plays are interspersed with multiple examples of bad passes, bad dangles and split-the-D attempts that all result in loss of possession. Top line FWs don't do that.

IMHO he's trying to do too much; trying to be more than he is. He needs to simplify his game and make the smart play, the percentage play. He has to finally realize that the stuff he could pull in the minors usually doesn't work up here. I thought he'd have learned that by now, but it doesn't look like it.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
I am no doubt in a very small minority here, but frankly I'm just not seeing all the great stuff you guys are talking about.

It's 3 years now in the NHL for Terry. His 1st he didn't get a lot of time up here and struggled, as most rookies do. We expected more in his 2nd year after working on weight and conditioning. It didn't happen. He got sent down to learn how to be a line driver. It worked with the Gulls, but not with the Ducks. Now in his 3rd year we were looking for the breakout - that hasn't happened either. I can agree that we've seen some progress from him this year; that was especially true when he was playing with Rico. But then he started playing with Getzlaf, and fell back into old habits; even picking up a few bad ones from Getz, like behind-the-back passes to nowhere. Now he's on the top line and if there ever was a passenger, he's it. Yes he had a highlight reel shootout goal, and he shoveled the puck to Raks who made the perfect pass to MC. But his good plays are interspersed with multiple examples of bad passes, bad dangles and split-the-D attempts that all result in loss of possession. Top line FWs don't do that.

IMHO he's trying to do too much; trying to be more than he is. He needs to simplify his game and make the smart play, the percentage play. He has to finally realize that the stuff he could pull in the minors usually doesn't work up here. I thought he'd have learned that by now, but it doesn't look like it.
I get that people are frustrated that his progression is slow, but he has shown certain very useful qualities that our team needs. He is our best forward at entering the offensive zone, and he is also our best forward when it comes to setting up scoring chances (yes, there are numbers that back these assertions up). He is also good at using his stick to take pucks away. I will fully admit that he is still a little too easy to knock off the puck, and I hope he really works on that over the offseason. He is far from a perfect player, but he has attributes that are worth betting on, in my opinion.

Bergey37

May 19, 2019
I get that people are frustrated that his progression is slow, but he has shown certain very useful qualities that our team needs. He is our best forward at entering the offensive zone, and he is also our best forward when it comes to setting up scoring chances (yes, there are numbers that back these assertions up). He is also good at using his stick to take pucks away. I will fully admit that he is still a little too easy to knock off the puck, and I hope he really works on that over the offseason. He is far from a perfect player, but he has attributes that are worth betting on, in my opinion.
That's fair. And I can agree that he is good at zone entries. But I'm curious: what metrics specifically measure "setting up scoring chances?"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad