Player Discussion Troy Terry

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
There is certainly value in zone entries, but Terry's lack of finishing ability cancels that out. I've read a lot about how on a better team, with better line mates, with better coaching he would put up the counting stats that we are looking for. OK, but on a better team he might not even be seeing the ice. With better line mates, we might not even notice his skill at carrying the puck because someone better might have it instead. Terry's skill at carrying the puck is more noticeable because so few Ducks can do it well. As for better coaching, that will have to wait.
Same could all be said about multiple players. Like William Karlsson who showed flashes.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
Zone starts really don't mean a whole lot for these kinds of numbers because the majority of times a player goes on the ice it's on the fly and those aren't counted as a zone start. All that means is that Eakins prefers to use him in offensive situations more than defensive ones.

Reactions: Kalv

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Good point. There is a track record of players improving when they go elsewhere. My feeling from the beginning is that Terry has the skill set of a center. I guess that train has left the station, however.
I've said that since I saw him play in Denver. He definitely has a skillset of a center, he was definitely too weak to play center at the NHL level previously though, I don't think he had the speed to compensate previously though.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
This describes 80-90%of the roster. Terry will be one of the last guys in the line to be getting replaced..

This is the point I laid out. I listed several of our forward prospects that we're waiting on. Jones found a niche that doesn't need counting stats. Terry got passed up by Comtois. Terry will be passed up by Zegras. McTavish will probably be next to pass Terry up. We're a team that lacks talent and Terry is part of that group if he cannot produce better. Sharing that Terry has all the fancy stats, but doesn't do much with it misses the fact that he's part of the problem the Ducks cannot score. We gotta have better standards than propping up fancy stats while we can't produce.

Terry has two years left on his contract. A repeat of incremental improvement this season might make the Ducks pull the trigger to trade him while he still has some potential value. This is what happened with Peter Holland - too good for the AHL, but meh at the NHL level. The team still has forward prospects Groulx, Perreault, and Tracey in the system coming up. Would the value for trading Terry be more than keeping him if he maintain his scoring production?

I didn't even read his entire post.... Did he really say that :laugh: I've seen enough.

Thanks for admitting you like the look of your own post than to actually hold a conversation that you incited. Don't have much to rebuttal after throwing out fancy stats? Anyhow, you and everyone else on here not liking the criticism of Terry have tunnel vision. Doesn't matter if I agree with the fancy stats or agree that Terry can blossom. The cult-like mentality is there cannot be any dissent from praising Terry. We should be concerned if Terry doesn't turn the corner this season. We should be concerned if Terry isn't productive on the PP unit.

But hey, thanks for admitting you don't read my entire post. It shows you're simply just trolling with your posts. Kalv's response to you was taken down because he didn't agree with you. That reaffirms you are simply trolling if people don't agree with your singular thought.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Maybe that's why he works well with a shoot first center?
Or a center that can keep up for that matter. Getzlaf is becoming a borderline liability in some areas. I like him with Henrique or zegras.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Zone starts really don't mean a whole lot for these kinds of numbers because the majority of times a player goes on the ice it's on the fly and those aren't counted as a zone start. All that means is that Eakins prefers to use him in offensive situations more than defensive ones.

I think you might be confusing zone entries with zone starts. Zone start is an event that requires a faceoff, offensive or defensive. Zone entry is an event where a player carries a puck into a zone, usually it's the offensive zone entry.

From a litterboxcats.com article A Beginner's Guide to Zone Starts, which they source behindthenet.ca:
Zone Starts, or rather Offensive Zone Start %, measures the percentage of time when a player starts in the offensive zone. A Zone Start ignores starts in the neutral zone, and begins when a player starts his shift in a zone (beginning with a faceoff).

Zone Starts are a great stat to utilize when, for example, determining how a coach views a certain player, from a practical standpoint when a new player is acquired, as well as finding out why a player's Corsi is trending high or low.

A coach has such players start in the offensive zone to keep the puck in the offensive zone, thereby creating better scoring chances, and making sure the opponents' possession is kept to a minimum, which helps the team and the player's Corsi numbers.

A higher OZ start increases the likelihood of offensive opportunities... or disguises defensive deficiencies or both.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Maybe that's why he works well with a shoot first center?
Or a center that can keep up for that matter. Getzlaf is becoming a borderline liability in some areas. I like him with Henrique or zegras.

A lot of posters on this board noticed that pattern with Terry needing a scoring linemate and cringe whenever we see a Getz-Terry pairing because it's all a lot of passing without shooting. Rico or McTavish would probably suit Terry better. Terry can be more productive with a scoring center.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Watching Terry in limited viewings this year (hopefully he plays tonight and Saturday) he looks better but I think he could stand to get even a bit stronger on the puck.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
I think you might be confusing zone entries with zone starts. Zone start is an event that requires a faceoff, offensive or defensive. Zone entry is an event where a player carries a puck into a zone, usually it's the offensive zone entry.

From a litterboxcats.com article A Beginner's Guide to Zone Starts, which they source behindthenet.ca:

A higher OZ start increases the likelihood of offensive opportunities... or disguises defensive deficiencies or both.

Yes i know what a zone start/entry is, but starts don't account for on the fly changes which happen more than face offs during the run of a game. Zone entries arent a static event that only happen when a player moves the puck from a defensive zone faceoff into the offensive zone, so dismissing Terry having good numbers as "he only starts 40% of his faceoffs in his own zone" leaves out a huge gap of events that can happen during a game.

You also made the point (in a different post but I'm too lazy to multi quote right now lol) that Terry has been "passed" by Comtois, Zegras, and soon to be McTavish, but those are 2 top 10 picks and a very talented second rounder. And if those guys have passed Terry, then that's 3 players. You need a lot more than 3 good forwards to have a good team.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Yes i know what a zone start/entry is, but starts don't account for on the fly changes which happen more than face offs during the run of a game. Zone entries arent a static event that only happen when a player moves the puck from a defensive zone faceoff into the offensive zone, so dismissing Terry having good numbers as "he only starts 40% of his faceoffs in his own zone" leaves out a huge gap of events that can happen during a game.

You also made the point (in a different post but I'm too lazy to multi quote right now lol) that Terry has been "passed" by Comtois, Zegras, and soon to be McTavish, but those are 2 top 10 picks and a very talented second rounder. And if those guys have passed Terry, then that's 3 players. You need a lot more than 3 good forwards to have a good team.
On top of that offensive zone starts don't mean much on this team considering we are chasing the play 90% of the game :laugh:

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
On top of that offensive zone starts don't mean much on this team considering we are chasing the play 90% of the game :laugh:
I think that actually makes them more significant as we don't start in the ozone much. If he's getting the majority of his starts there then he's likely be sheltered pretty heavily. Imo all we need to do is look at Cams CF% to see what high ozone starts can do.

Reactions: Mortal Wombat

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
I think that actually makes them more significant as we don't start in the ozone much. If he's getting the majority of his starts there then he's likely be sheltered pretty heavily. Imo all we need to do is look at Cams CF% to see what high ozone starts can do.
The Ducks have zero puck possession, all our chances are usually off the rush or random occurrences. We never cycle the puck for long periods anymore. Offensive zone starts are cool and all but usually we are back checking then re-grouping or dumping and chasing. Giving up 50 shots a game is no good lol.

Regardless of all that, he needs to show us a little more this year for sure.

OCSportsfan

Sep 30, 2011
I am glad he is finally putting it together. Is it me or does he look like he put on about 15 lbs this year. He looks much stronger on his skates, playing with a ton of confidence, making good decisions. Maybe that was all he needed was to put on some weight so he felt more comfortable.

Excited to see what he ends up being.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
This guy is making me look so good.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I am glad he is finally putting it together. Is it me or does he look like he put on about 15 lbs this year. He looks much stronger on his skates, playing with a ton of confidence, making good decisions. Maybe that was all he needed was to put on some weight so he felt more comfortable.

Excited to see what he ends up being.
I don't think so, he figured out how to win battles about halfway through last year and now it seems he's figured out how to turn that into production. We'll see if this lasts or if he gets into another funk.

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
Let’s see if this scoring touch continues or if he has the disappearance act again

I had four criticisms of him going into the season, and really it's three that contributed to the fourth thing. *So far*, he's answered the first three.

1) Needs to go to high-scoring dangerous areas more (slot and front of the net). He's got two tip goals from that area this season. I've definitely seem him in those areas more often than previous seasons, although he still does tend to float away from them at times.

2) Needs to improve his shot. He scored on a snipe wrister tonight.

3) Needs to stop being a boat anchor to the power-play. He's got 2 PP points, which is two more than he had all of last season.

4) Can't completely disappear from the scoresheet for long stretches. But if he does the first three, then this one takes care of itself.

If he can keep doing what he's done so far this season, great. Not many players improve every year from 21-24, but he has, and that's why he's going to be an NHL regular and a guy like Steel probably isn't.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad