Player Discussion Troy Terry

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
It's quite strange to watch. Is the game just slowing down for him or was he in his head? He finally looks like the guy that was great at every level except NHL..key is keeping this level and seemingly remaining confident
He to me now looks how I remember him in college. He have watched up to the competition physically and mentally. There is still more potential in him

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Dude has been fun to watch. He carries the play well but is finally utilizing and getting it done on the score-sheet. Him putting up another 2 points was a win for the team even if they lost the game.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
It's quite strange to watch. Is the game just slowing down for him or was he in his head? He finally looks like the guy that was great at every level except NHL..key is keeping this level and seemingly remaining confident
I could be projecting since I've started new jobs needing new skills over the past year that were way over my head at first, but some people just need a longer on-ramp.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
I think it’s confidence issues. Because every season he’s been in the league he’s had massive struggles for stretches and then turns it on, normally late in the year after he’s done a stint in the minors. Hopefully as he gets older the struggles are fewer and further between.
I think he needs a bit of time to feel out the NHL, as in when to slow the game down and when to speed it up. It is an easy decision when you just shoot low and hard every time it hits your stick but the high end goal scorers know when and how to slow the game down to improve their scoring chance. Perfect example was last night when he got the puck at a bad angle, repositioned to the slot and kept holding onto the puck until he had a grade a. Several guys on the team would have quickly released the bad angle shot but the elite scorers like Perry was for us know how to create grade As. That's why I always say his skill and success will take longer to develop than a guy like Jones.

Reactions: Mr Rogers

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU

I think it’s confidence issues. Because every season he’s been in the league he’s had massive struggles for stretches and then turns it on, normally late in the year after he’s done a stint in the minors. Hopefully as he gets older the struggles are fewer and further between.

I think it's when he stops thinking and start just playing. I guess you can categorize it as things slowing down and/or confidence depending on how you define those, basically it all sounds the same lol. It's interesting because you can literally see when he is half a second late making a decision because he thought about it and by that time it's too late.

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
I’ve been very hard on Troy. Lately, he’s starting to make me hope I will eat crow. Well spoken kid too, reminds me of a young cam fowler interview type

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
One thing to note, he seem to play the same position on the PP as Zegras. I think Zegras will get that right side half wall eventually/soon. But Terry is a good and smart player, I'm sure he will adjust to a different one.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Terry is apparently guaranteed to become an elite franchise player with a great chance at the HOF.

To be fair he still has plenty of time to breakout and adapt his game.

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
The biggest issue I’ve had with Terry has been his puck management. In the past he would hold onto the puck too long and eventually lose it.

The difference between the Ducks and good teams is that the Ducks play from outside the dots and the good teams play from between them. How good Terry, and the other kids, end up will depend on getting the puck, and themselves, into better positions to actual score and not just toss the puck at the goal. Terry is getting better, but dominant is probably not an accurate word at this time.

John

Reactions: KyleJRM

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I still say David Perron with less of an edge is a good comparison for Terry. I think he’s going to be a guy who continues to improve for a long time, even after development is “supposed” to be over.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
He just needs to add weight, but that seems like a year after year problem. He may be one of those people that is just unable to for a long time. His puck protection is elite the issue is he gets rag dolled when they get close enough to touch him at times.

Zegras has that same problem right now but atleast Zegras is still a kid.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
He just needs to add weight, but that seems like a year after year problem. He may be one of those people that is just unable to for a long time. His puck protection is elite the issue is he gets rag dolled when they get close enough to touch him at times.

Yeah I think most of us fill out a fair bit and add that extra "man strength" at some point during our 20s. Terry still isn't there yet and I think his best is still yet to come.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I think weight is the main thing holding him back too. He’s much better at making the right decisions and his vision and passing ability have always been very good. He just can’t win one on one battles where the defender tries to out muscle him.

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
His passing accuracy and decision-making can be pretty suspicious too. And sometimes he just plain has a hole in his stick.

There's a lot of ways to turn a puck over, and he seems to find all of them. The physical tools are there, but he just has a long way to go.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
His passing accuracy and decision-making can be pretty suspicious too. And sometimes he just plain has a hole in his stick.

There's a lot of ways to turn a puck over, and he seems to find all of them. The physical tools are there, but he just has a long way to go.
His passing accuracy has to do sometimes with what we are talking about imo at times, if anyone puts weight on him his whole body moves which leads to him not being balanced.

Reactions: KyleJRM

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
It's not just lack of weight. He doesn't have a good first touch, where he gathers the puck in a way that lets him make his decision quickly. It's constantly skittering away from his stick or he needs an extra quarter-second to look down and be sure he has it, which in the NHL means the defenders is now right in your face and you don't have time to look and find your best option.

He needs to keep putting up points, because there's literally no one on the roster I trust less with the puck in his own zone or the neutral zone.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Still very streaky. He has points in only 4 out of 20 games, but 7p in 20 games is almost where I expected him to be. I think he has it in him to put it all together and be a 0.6-0.7 PPG player.

That goal he scored, man...
What's great to see is he still has confidence.

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
Night and day from the last two years. Suddenly his stick is a magnet for the puck instead of looking like it has a hole in it

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland

Good thing about missing the playoffs is that these guys get plenty of time to get their weight up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad