Confirmed with Link: Troy Terry signs extension (3 years, $1.45M AAV)

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Great deal for both sides. If he keeps getting injured and misses alot of games he might not want to have risked a 1 year deal.
Plus what if that new swine flu spreads to the usa, then there is another league shutdown in 2021-22.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Another Bargain Bob type of signing. I'm ok with this vs him signing an older guy in their late 20s. However, Bob is really hedging the bet on future savings assuming Terry reaches his potential before the 3rd year in this contract. I just don't think its that big of a savings.... I mean, Terry flashes potential once in a while and has done well in the AHL, but he is currently just not strong and fast enough, and might not figure it out until his mid to late 20s.... I really doubt he blows it up in the next 2 seasons. We could have just signed him on a year to year contract for 800-900k until he established himself, so the term isn't really necessary but its Bob's MO and he loves to do this hoping for another Rakell contract type of result.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
BMs ability to get his young players to sign these contracts remains his best attribute

And sometimes his worst.... for every Rakell type of contract, he has had many bad ones like Hagelin, Souray, Fistric, Despres, Kesler... although BM fans would say that you can't predict injuries.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
BMs ability to get his young players to sign these contracts remains his best attribute

Barstool Bob squeezing every drop of value from these arbitration ineligible RFAs. It's insane how he does it time and time again.

Son of Gib

Nov 14, 2017
Los Angeles
Those are not young players, with the exception of Despres.

Signing over the hill players has always been his downfall in my book

That's just the difference between RFAs and UFAs. For every GM it's far more expensive to sign UFAs because you're competing with 30 other teams. In hindsight though, yeah he greatly overvalued those players.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
In my opinion he still hasn't proved that he is more than a 3rd line player. Given the frozen salary cap this seems fair. The Ducks cannot afford to overpay someone in Terry's position.

NHL minimum salary is $750k. Honestly, you can't do much better than Terry's contract even for a third line player.

Oct 18, 2011
I am not that worried about him I thought he looked way better at the end of last season, good chance he outplays the contract but yes you want to see that production come up but I am hopeful as we improve the overall talent level that will take care of itself

Reactions: Kalv

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia

Bergey37

May 19, 2019
Terry went on NHL Network Radio yesterday. He's a well-spoken kid, and he admitted that even though he likes playing with Getzlaf, he doesn't know which one of them will shoot the puck. He also said he works best with Henrique, which I would agree with. Here is the audio link
Audio: Terry Discusses New Contract with SiriusXM NHL Network Radio
This actually doesn't surprise me much. I've had a sense for several years now that Getzlaf, in sprite of his great skill, is a difficult guy to play with. This comes from the revolving door at his LW for years, and also the fact that after Perry's decline he couldn't seem to find chemistry with anyone. Rakell did well there for a while, but it didn't last. Rico seems to be a more straightforward player in that he seems easier for his line mates to know. He's shown chemistry with with not only Terry, but MC, Heinen and, of course, Silf.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
This actually doesn't surprise me much. I've had a sense for several years now that Getzlaf, in sprite of his great skill, is a difficult guy to play with. This comes from the revolving door at his LW for years, and also the fact that after Perry's decline he couldn't seem to find chemistry with anyone. Rakell did well there for a while, but it didn't last. Rico seems to be a more straightforward player in that he seems easier for his line mates to know. He's shown chemistry with with not only Terry, but MC, Heinen and, of course, Silf.

A lot of the top players in the league are. Crosby has been notoriously hard to find the right linemates for in the past.

Getzy seems to need a very particular type of player to work well with - someone who can cycle, get open and who has a great shot (which is why Perron and Eaves did so well there). He seems to prefer having a RHS as he seems to do better drifting to the right on the rush and feeding guys off his forehand who go into the middle of the ice in the offensive zone.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
There’s an article about him in the athletic too where he comes off as really mature and very honest about where his game is at and his strengths and weaknesses. This contract only has upside, there’s no risk at all - worst case scenario is we have a talented bottom 6 forward making a little bit more than your average 4th liner makes.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Terry went on NHL Network Radio yesterday. He's a well-spoken kid, and he admitted that even though he likes playing with Getzlaf, he doesn't know which one of them will shoot the puck. He also said he works best with Henrique, which I would agree with. Here is the audio link
Audio: Terry Discusses New Contract with SiriusXM NHL Network Radio

Thanks for posting this.

Yeah, I thought he looked better and had more chemistry with Henrique and even think he had more production. Would maybe throw a line of Heinen - Henrique - Terry together. For a 3rd line, it gives some nice depth, and can even produce closer as a 2nd line if things click.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Thanks for posting this.

Yeah, I thought he looked better and had more chemistry with Henrique and even think he had more production. Would maybe throw a line of Heinen - Henrique - Terry together. For a 3rd line, it gives some nice depth, and can even produce closer as a 2nd line if things click.
I like the line Combo but who is the second line then? MC-Steel-Silf?

Last edited:

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
I'd rather have Rakell-Steel-Silf
That line had chemistry in the past too but then you have who with Getzlaf? This is the biggest reason id prefer to add another forward than add more D. I think 2 vets and a young kid will be the most effective and frankly milano really hasn't proven much and I really don't want to rush who ever we get in the draft

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Hopefully Steel shows some creativity this season instead of dumping and chasing consistently. It's going to be a rebuild year might as well try some stuff out, I don't mind him turning the puck over at times if it leads to better development.

Bergey37

May 19, 2019
I like the line Combo but who is the second line then? MC-Steel-Silf?
I don't think it matters much what we call 1st, 2nd and 3rd lines; what matters is finding FW combinations that work together. At one time, the Cogs/Kesler/Silf line was arguably #1, at least on production and definitely defensively. I like the idea of Heinen with Rico and Terry, which puts (in my estimation) MC with Getz and Rakell on the RW. I agree about Milano.

Reactions: DavidBL and Kalv

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad