Confirmed with Link: Troy Terry signs extension (3 years, $1.45M AAV)

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Hopefully Steel shows some creativity this season instead of dumping and chasing consistently. It's going to be a rebuild year might as well try some stuff out, I don't mind him turning the puck over at times if it leads to better development.
I don't think he's the type that will be known for his zone entries, but more confidence should come with added muscles.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Hopefully Steel shows some creativity this season instead of dumping and chasing consistently. It's going to be a rebuild year might as well try some stuff out, I don't mind him turning the puck over at times if it leads to better development.

I'm just lost with Steel's production this past year as he had a nice debut with the Ducks on his second stint two seasons ago. I never thought he would be amazing, but thought he'd be more productive as a third line center going against bottom two lines from the opposing teams.

When Zegras signed, I was opposed to him being signed because I didn't think he'd be physically set. But doing a lot of research on the prospects from all the people sharing, I've made a 180 degree thought on Zegras and his talent. Because of Steel's big drop last year, I think Steel gets displaced by Zegras as that third line center b/c Zegras is simply oozing of talent and tenacity! I love Steel's two-way game and his speed, but he looked overwhelmed at times last season. Also, he was so snakebitten in goal scoring, which probably made him hold onto his stick tighter than he should be.

If Zegras is up with the team, then what to do with Steel? We need Steel to continue to develop as a center because we don't know how long Getz will be in a Ducks uni. Henrique is signed through 2023-24. Do we put Steel in the AHL as a center again or maybe try him out on wing at the NHL level? According to Cap Friendly, Steel is waiver exempt. I think Steel would be very good at wing, but we also need that centerman developing. We do have Lundestrom developing, but is he willing to stay in NA after his ELC is up after a tumultuous two seasons on NA ice?

Maybe Steel will be like Rico, more effective as a scoring wing. We know Zegras loves to pass, but also Terry. Terry needs shooters on his line.

Steel-Getz-Heinen
Rakell-Rico-Silf
Milano-Zegras-Terry

Zegras and Terry together is like Getz-Terry. Maybe there might be better chemistry with Zegras-Terry?

Maybe we could put Rico at wing with Getz and Steel in between the Swedes? I dunno. Having Zegras as a possibility at the NHL level does put an interesting spin on who'll be at the NHL level.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
What confuses me is the difference in perception in regards to Terry and Steel. Their production is nearly identical (Steel 5 more points in 6 more NHL games), Steel has played a more demanding position, and their ages are similar. Yet a non-Duck fan reading this board would think that Terry is the far superior player and prospect. I guess because he is more flashy. I'm not real impressed by either, but fail to understand why mock lines envision one as a lineup fixture and the other as being on thin ice.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
What confuses me is the difference in perception in regards to Terry and Steel. Their production is nearly identical (Steel 5 more points in 6 more NHL games), Steel has played a more demanding position, and their ages are similar. Yet a non-Duck fan reading this board would think that Terry is the far superior player and prospect. I guess because he is more flashy. I'm not real impressed by either, but fail to understand why mock lines envision one as a lineup fixture and the other as being on thin ice.
Probably fancy stats ;/ I like em both so there is that.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I'm just lost with Steel's production this past year as he had a nice debut with the Ducks on his second stint two seasons ago. I never thought he would be amazing, but thought he'd be more productive as a third line center going against bottom two lines from the opposing teams.

When Zegras signed, I was opposed to him being signed because I didn't think he'd be physically set. But doing a lot of research on the prospects from all the people sharing, I've made a 180 degree thought on Zegras and his talent. Because of Steel's big drop last year, I think Steel gets displaced by Zegras as that third line center b/c Zegras is simply oozing of talent and tenacity! I love Steel's two-way game and his speed, but he looked overwhelmed at times last season. Also, he was so snakebitten in goal scoring, which probably made him hold onto his stick tighter than he should be.

If Zegras is up with the team, then what to do with Steel? We need Steel to continue to develop as a center because we don't know how long Getz will be in a Ducks uni. Henrique is signed through 2023-24. Do we put Steel in the AHL as a center again or maybe try him out on wing at the NHL level? According to Cap Friendly, Steel is waiver exempt. I think Steel would be very good at wing, but we also need that centerman developing. We do have Lundestrom developing, but is he willing to stay in NA after his ELC is up after a tumultuous two seasons on NA ice?

Maybe Steel will be like Rico, more effective as a scoring wing. We know Zegras loves to pass, but also Terry. Terry needs shooters on his line.

Steel-Getz-Heinen
Rakell-Rico-Silf
Milano-Zegras-Terry

Zegras and Terry together is like Getz-Terry. Maybe there might be better chemistry with Zegras-Terry?

Maybe we could put Rico at wing with Getz and Steel in between the Swedes? I dunno. Having Zegras as a possibility at the NHL level does put an interesting spin on who'll be at the NHL level.
When Zegras is ready Henrique will be the one moving to wing, not Steel

Reactions: robbieboy3686

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
When Zegras is ready Henrique will be the one moving to wing, not Steel

If Zegras is ready today, then I wouldn't want to displace Rico. Why throw an unknown at center and Steel still trying to find his groove? As much as I project Zegras beating out Steel at center, Zegras still remains an unknown quantity.

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
If Zegras is ready then having Henrique on his wing ready to step in if he needs to could help a lot.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

Because one plays center and the other wing.

Because Zegras was signed out of college and could displace Steel at center this coming season. Zegras won't displace Getz nor play the 4th line center. Replacing Rico is a possibility, but that simply lends itself to the "we're rebuilding attitude so let's continue to tank" mentality. The obvious choice is Steel.

Out of the youthful wingers, Terry is the best prospect, but even he was sent down to the AHL later in the season to become a driver. Terry was replaced by Sherwood at the end of the season and Sherwood remains unsigned, but he is a RFA.

The nuance here is Zegras plays center. If you can't accept that nuance, then of course you'd fail to understand. If the Ducks had a better option at RW, then Terry would be on that bubble since we're not going to displace Heinen, Silf, or play on the 4th line. It's possible we try Terry at LW or possibly shift Heinen to LW, but we run into the same problem with Steel if Zegras goes up at center - an unknown talent at RW and Terry still isn't the player where he should be.

I'm just happy we have Zegras to push a conversation competition with Steel as opposed to "hoping" Steel will improve this year. I'm hoping Terry improves this year. I like both Steel and Terry. They're talented and have shown glimpses of what could be if they were more consistent. Terry needs to shoot more.

Anyhow, I found the OP comment funny as it's similar to NHL prospects Raymond (Terry-like) and Steel (Holtz style production on ice). One is a mainstay top end pick and the other is a meh one-trick pony player. LoL

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

Because Zegras was signed out of college and could displace Steel at center this coming season. Zegras won't displace Getz nor play the 4th line center. Replacing Rico is a possibility, but that simply lends itself to the "we're rebuilding attitude so let's continue to tank" mentality. The obvious choice is Steel.

Out of the youthful wingers, Terry is the best prospect, but even he was sent down to the AHL later in the season to become a driver. Terry was replaced by Sherwood at the end of the season and Sherwood remains unsigned, but he is a RFA.

The nuance here is Zegras plays center. If you can't accept that nuance, then of course you'd fail to understand. If the Ducks had a better option at RW, then Terry would be on that bubble since we're not going to displace Heinen, Silf, or play on the 4th line. It's possible we try Terry at LW or possibly shift Heinen to LW, but we run into the same problem with Steel if Zegras goes up at center - an unknown talent at RW and Terry still isn't the player where he should be.

I'm just happy we have Zegras to push a conversation competition with Steel as opposed to "hoping" Steel will improve this year. I'm hoping Terry improves this year. I like both Steel and Terry. They're talented and have shown glimpses of what could be if they were more consistent. Terry needs to shoot more.

Anyhow, I found the OP comment funny as it's similar to NHL prospects Raymond (Terry-like) and Steel (Holtz style production on ice). One is a mainstay top end pick and the other is a meh one-trick pony player. LoL

Heinen is more of a left winger who can play the right if needed. His successful rookie season was spent playing LW.

You feel the need to add a lot of "Lol" into your posts for someone who complains about other people dismissing opinions.

Reactions: Paul4587

OCSportsfan

Sep 30, 2011
I would be surprised if Zegras is in the NHL next season. He will be in the AHL full time and maybe called up at the end. I dont even think they will give him some games at the beginning. He needs to add some weight (at least from what i have seen), and learn how to dominate the next level. He has plenty of time before he will be expected to lead the team.

Everyone always wants the best prospects to jump to the NHL as teenagers, but it takes time to develop unless you are a superstar, with an "Adult" frame. Terry, Steel, Jones all took a couple years and feel they will take steps forward next season at ages 22 and above.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho

Disagree with a couple of things here. First, I think Comtois is a better prospect than Terry. Second, centers are harder to find (and thus more valuable than wingers). Steel has been just as productive at a more valuable (and more difficult) position, yet many see him as more replaceable. Third, many believe Zegras will be a winger at the NHL level, therefore may not be taking Steel's spot. I'm not an advocate for Terry or Steel, neither has really impressed me. Just questioning the big discrepancy in how they are perceived.

ducks8

Mar 27, 2009
Riverside CA
I think he was 168lbs so now should be around 190 which is getting closer to what it should be but still not ideal.
No, but it's a start and he's still young. Dude seems so mature though. Knows he needs to get bigger as well

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
No, but it's a start and he's still young. Dude seems so mature though. Knows he needs to get bigger as well
Yup. I have a soft spot for Terry - he is not physically strong...yet. Like you said, he's mature for his age, knows what he needs to work on, and has some smooth skill that he should be able to use more as he gets bigger. I think he can be a 40-50pt winger in the NHL but I'm losing hope he could be anything more.

Reactions: ducks8
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Yup. I have a soft spot for Terry - he is not physically strong...yet. Like you said, he's mature for his age, knows what he needs to work on, and has some smooth skill that he should be able to use more as he gets bigger. I think he can be a 40-50pt winger in the NHL but I'm losing hope he could be anything more.

highly doubt he will even crack 40.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Just pulled a Troy Terry Sign of the times auto rookie card in a SPA hobby box...anyone interested? Lol. #'d 67/99

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
He's not that young, and he's played parts of 3 seasons here now. Mainly this is just a sign of him not being a complete moron, which don't get me wrong is good news, but he'd have to be historically dumb to not recognize that he needed to gain weight. That said, I'm pretty skeptical that he's actually pushing 190.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->