Friedman: Troy Terry change of scenery?

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
The words "Jake Virtanen" have been flashing in my head ever since I saw this news. I hate it.

Yeah. A Virtanen for Terry sort of trade definitely feels like it could have some legs.

But at the same time...it's been such an obviously floated idea for long enough now, that the fact it hasn't already happened...kinda makes me think maybe it's not a likely outcome. Like, if they were gonna do it...surely they would've already done it by now? But who knows. GMs are weirdos.

LuLover96

Feb 28, 2017
Yeah. A Virtanen for Terry sort of trade definitely feels like it could have some legs.

But at the same time...it's been such an obviously floated idea for long enough now, that the fact it hasn't already happened...kinda makes me think maybe it's not a likely outcome. Like, if they were gonna do it...surely they would've already done it by now? But who knows. GMs are weirdos.
To be fair, we thought the same thing about PLD for Laine, and I was starting to doubt whether a move would actually be made, and then it was.

It all depends on salary, though. It’s why a Heinen for Virt deal never happened, but I wonder if a deal could be made around:

Virt (1.1 million retained)
Brisebois (defensive dman)

For

Terry (equal cap hit)
2022 5th

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
To be fair, we thought the same thing about PLD for Laine, and I was starting to doubt whether a move would actually be made, and then it was.

It all depends on salary, though. It’s why a Heinen for Virt deal never happened, but I wonder if a deal could be made around:

Virt (1.1 million retained)
Brisebois (defensive dman)

For

Terry (equal cap hit)
2022 5th

I don't really see why they'd want or need to complicate and muddy up the deal with salary retention (from a Vancouver team that can't really afford it anyway), or swapping nothing prospects for later round picks.

If there is going to be some extra complication of the deal with add-ons and balancers, i'd actually think it'd make more sense for a D prospect of some sort to be going the other way. To Vancouver, who really don't have much in the way of particularly useful young depth on the blueline.

IGGY2JOHNNY

Apr 22, 2018
Could see Calgary being interested. Sutter would be familiar with the player from his time with the ducks and the flames are on the lookout for a rhs forward

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
He's a head case who is also not particularly strong on his skates. I forgot to mention that part, but you are correct.

I don't care how well spoken he is - that is not what I meant by head case. I'm referring to the fragile hockey confidence and questionable decision making when in possession of the puck. And you don't have to take my word for it - the well spoken Terry has openly and eloquently discussed his struggles with confidence.
Not that it matters much, but the definition of a head case is a "mentally ill or unstable person," which is obviously not Terry. Fragile is definitely a more accurate word.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Not that it matters much, but the definition of a head case is a "mentally ill or unstable person," which is obviously not Terry. Fragile is definitely a more accurate word.

Thank you for sharing your google search skills. But I'm confused, google tells me fragile means "easily broken or damaged" which also does not describe Terry or his state of mind since clearly his mind is not broken or damaged (which would make him mentally ill). Having chosen to extrapolate these words from the context in which they are used, what do we do now? Keep googling? Consult thesaurus.com?

Stop pretending that my head case comment wasn't 1000% in the context of hockey and Terry's hockey psyche. I was explicit in what I meant and you seem to agree with the substance of what I said.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Thank you for sharing your google search skills. But I'm confused, google tells me fragile means "easily broken or damaged" which also does not describe Terry or his state of mind since clearly his mind is not broken or damaged (which would make him mentally ill). Having chosen to extrapolate these words from the context in which they are used, what do we do now? Keep googling? Consult thesaurus.com?

Stop pretending that my head case comment wasn't 1000% in the context of hockey and Terry's hockey psyche. I was explicit in what I meant and you seem to agree with the substance of what I said.
All I was doing was explaining why someone took issue with your original statement. I don't believe that most people would consider Terry a 'head case,' but if that's what you believe, then more power to you.

Reactions: Son of Petter

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad