Friedman: Troy Terry change of scenery?

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Just looked at his statline and see that he hasn't really put up a lot of points. I am surprised and thought he was a 40-45 point player... whenever I see the highlights and he scores it seems to be a highlight reel goal.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I hope management doesn't screw up and trade him for scraps... his value is low because he hasn't really produced but he has skill and might put it together. He's worth keeping and taking a risk on rather than trading him for a bad/unnecessary return.

Seattle bound IMO.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Are they going to do 4F 4D?

Which Ducks do you think they'll protect? Heinen,Dlo,Grant,Milano seem like the obvious forwards they'll expose but would Steel be available?

Don't think so. If I have to give a protection list today, I'd say Silfverberg, Henrique, Rakell, Terry, Steel, Jones, Lundeström -- Fowler, Lindholm, Manson -- Gibson. Comtois is somehow exempt due to strange CBA mumbo jumbo.

Who knows what we actually end up doing, especially if guys are traded prior to the expansion.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Are they going to do 4F 4D?

Which Ducks do you think they'll protect? Heinen,Dlo,Grant,Milano seem like the obvious forwards they'll expose but would Steel be available?

Right now barring trades, 7-3-1

Rakell, Silf, Terry, Lundestrom, Steel, Jones, one of Heinen/Milano/Deslauriers

Lindholm, Fowler, one of Manson/Mahura/Larsson

Left exposed would be two each of those forwards and D listed above, plus Henrique, Shattenkirk, Grant.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Terry was successful under Eakins in the A so his failure to translate to the NHL isn’t on Eakins IMO.

It’s confidence and adjusting to less time and space to puck handle in the NHL. He’s shown glimpses of figuring it out. I wouldn’t trade him, unless it was in a package for an impact player.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It’s confidence and adjusting to less time and space to puck handle in the NHL. He’s shown glimpses of figuring it out. I wouldn’t trade him, unless it was in a package for an impact player.
Not every NCAA player who puts up over a ppg there and subsequently puts up close to a ppg in the A can deliver in the nhl. Guys like Gaudette in Vancouver, Gambrell in SJ are examples of this type of player.

are they good enough to be in the top 6 and if not are they solid enough defensively to play in the bottom 6 and give the team some PK? Gaudette hasn’t for Vancouver but he’s put up the most points of this trio.

Maybe these guys maxed out offensively in the A?

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Virtanen could easy breasy be a great target for the Ducks here, plus we got a surplus of coming up dmen so this would work for everone:

To Anahiem: Virtanen and Chatfield

To Vancity: Terry and 2021 4th round pick

Reactions: Getz2noone

GhostOfWildWing

Jun 21, 2015
I would say, in order of importance to the organization, right now our young forwards look like this:

Zegras
Comtois
Jones
Lundestrom / Steel / Terry

I'd say Lundestrom definitely needs more time, but is still developing nicely. Steel has been disappointing on the same level as Terry, but given he plays C over W and is at least really good at faceoffs (56% this season I think), he has more value still.

So, makes sense if we want to move one out, Terry is the odd duckling.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
I would say, in order of importance to the organization, right now our young forwards look like this:

Zegras
Comtois
Jones
Lundestrom / Steel / Terry

I'd say Lundestrom definitely needs more time, but is still developing nicely. Steel has been disappointing on the same level as Terry, but given he plays C over W and is at least really good at faceoffs (56% this season I think), he has more value still.

So, makes sense if we want to move one out, Terry is the odd duckling.
Steel has been more disappointing on both the offensive and defensive side than Terry this season IMO. And Steel plays the position that requires a solid defensive game. Terry will turn the puck over on occasion but Steel has literally gifted the opposing team goals this season, coughing the puck up in high leverage areas

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Virtanen could easy breasy be a great target for the Ducks here, plus we got a surplus of coming up dmen so this would work for everone:

To Anahiem: Virtanen and Chatfield

To Vancity: Terry and 2021 4th round pick

Like I said earlier, Anaheim reportedly shot down Heinen for Virtanen due to the salary implications. Stands to reason that they would be a lot less interested in a deal where they give up a higher upside forward who makes half the money.

If we were to add Terry's salary to that deal, it would help balance the money, but Anaheim really doesn't have a reason to move a cheap, young potential offensive contributor unless they are getting one back.

Is there any concern among Canucks fans as to whether Jack Rathbone will be able to maximize his upside on a team that already has Hughes on the back end?

Last edited:

GhostOfWildWing

Jun 21, 2015
Steel has been more disappointing on both the offensive and defensive side than Terry this season IMO. And Steel plays the position that requires a solid defensive game. Terry will turn the puck over on occasion but Steel has literally gifted the opposing team goals this season, coughing the puck up in high leverage areas

Oh, I agree about Steel this season; but I still think in the org's eyes (obviously just my guess), his ability to be C (and he seemed to be much better at the defensive side before this year) will be viewed as more valuable than W.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Terry has the look of a player who would blossom under a competent coach and with better line mates . Ducks should not give up on him, he’s been one of the more dangerous forwards all year.

Terry is a head case and a bit of a floater. I've never seen a guy possess the puck so much and do so little with it. He could be productive in a top six role on a team loaded with forward talent (Toronto/Colorado/Winnipeg or even Chicago) where he has no pressure on him to carry the load. He's skilled but very one dimensional and soft. The ducks are probably the worst team for him because he's expected to produce on his own and simply cant.

Don't think so. If I have to give a protection list today, I'd say Silfverberg, Henrique, Rakell, Terry, Steel, Jones, Lundeström -- Fowler, Lindholm, Manson -- Gibson. Comtois is somehow exempt due to strange CBA mumbo jumbo.

Who knows what we actually end up doing, especially if guys are traded prior to the expansion.

There is no way Henrique will be protected. Iffy on Silf.

He's not getting an impact player. Maybe another change of scenery guy. Ducks are probably better off keeping him and hoping he's either selected in expansion or eventually develops into something.

I agree Steel has been VERY disappointing - arguably more than Terry. But the difference is Steel can do other things, like win faceoffs and play center in the bottom 6. Terry, on the other hand, adds nothing if he's not scoring consistently (which he never has in the NHL).

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
He's not getting an impact player. Maybe another change of scenery guy. Ducks are probably better off keeping him and hoping he's either selected in expansion or eventually develops into something.

Of course not, that’s why I said “packaged”. He wouldn’t be the primary piece in a deal for an impact player. He’d be an intriguing throw in, if anything.

Reactions: duckpuck

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
Terry is a head case and a bit of a floater. I've never seen a guy possess the puck so much and do so little with it. He could be productive in a top six role on a team loaded with forward talent (Toronto/Colorado/Winnipeg or even Chicago) where he has no pressure on him to carry the load. He's skilled but very one dimensional and soft. The ducks are probably the worst team for him because he's expected to produce on his own and simply cant.

He's absolutely not a head case, I don't think there's a more well spoken and honest about his game player on the Ducks.

Terry's biggest issue has been his strength. This is the first season he's had in the NHL where sneezing near him wouldn't knock him off of his skates, and he looks more dangerous with each game. To me, this is where the flaw of "oh he's a 2015 draft pick who still hasn't put it together," or "a 5th rounder with a career high of 15 points" really stands out. Terry grew a few inches after being drafted and still looks like a teenager in the face. He's a late bloomer physically but has been putting the work in and it's noticeable on the ice this year. Not every player has the same development curve and he's improving in all of the areas he's needed to improve in. However, the arguments of "oh he's a 2015 draft pick who still hasn't put it together," and "a 5th rounder with a career high of 15 points" are exactly why we shouldn't be moving him. What value does he have right now that's worth moving a guy who consistently shows offensive upside and creativity for a team that desperately needs offensive creativity?

Reactions: Mr Rogers

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
He's absolutely not a head case, I don't think there's a more well spoken and honest about his game player on the Ducks.

Terry's biggest issue has been his strength. This is the first season he's had in the NHL where sneezing near him wouldn't knock him off of his skates, and he looks more dangerous with each game. To me, this is where the flaw of "oh he's a 2015 draft pick who still hasn't put it together," or "a 5th rounder with a career high of 15 points" really stands out. Terry grew a few inches after being drafted and still looks like a teenager in the face. He's a late bloomer physically but has been putting the work in and it's noticeable on the ice this year. Not every player has the same development curve and he's improving in all of the areas he's needed to improve in. However, the arguments of "oh he's a 2015 draft pick who still hasn't put it together," and "a 5th rounder with a career high of 15 points" are exactly why we shouldn't be moving him. What value does he have right now that's worth moving a guy who consistently shows offensive upside and creativity for a team that desperately needs offensive creativity?

He's a head case who is also not particularly strong on his skates. I forgot to mention that part, but you are correct.

I don't care how well spoken he is - that is not what I meant by head case. I'm referring to the fragile hockey confidence and questionable decision making when in possession of the puck. And you don't have to take my word for it - the well spoken Terry has openly and eloquently discussed his struggles with confidence.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad