Player Discussion Troy Stecher, Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotshot1

Feb 19, 2008
Vancouver
Wow! Stecher signs on with a team in a total rebuild for $1.7m a season on a two year contract. That's chump change. I can't believe if the Canucks had been remotely serious about bringing him back, they couldn't have matched that. And he was desperate to re-sign with the Canucks.

Sadly, just goes to show how little Benning and the Canucks actually valued him.

That does say a lot about how much the league values him though.

Glad he’s gone.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Stecher signs for peanuts. Why wouldn't you just bring him back just cause for that money? So stupid.

Wow! Stecher signs on with a team in a total rebuild for $1.7m a season on a two year contract. That's chump change. I can't believe if the Canucks had been remotely serious about bringing him back, they couldn't have matched that. And he was desperate to re-sign with the Canucks.

Sadly, just goes to show how little Benning and the Canucks actually valued him.

Seems that Stecher was miffed at how Benning treated him. Dhaliwal reporting that after not QOing him, Benning basically never contacted him until this morning.

Benning: Yah Troy, we don't need you.

*Benning misses on all other defensemen*

Benning: Oh yah Troy, how ya, like..uuhh...doing and like...uhh...we wanna sign you now

Reactions: Hyzer

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Happy for Stech, he deserved better than the final treatment he received from Benning and co.
This would of been Bennings easiest signing EVER if the Canucks didn't leave him hanging.

Wishing him the best in Detroit..

hotshot1

Feb 19, 2008
Vancouver
You're glad he's gone because otherwise he would have..... handily outperformed his contract and been a positive contributor on our team?

He’s not someone who can contribute meaningfully on a top tier team. There’s a reason Detroit signed him.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Damn I thought he would have gotten way more.... My Bad

But I like stecher
He could have easily been a 4-5 on this team on the right side at that price.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
The blatant lack of disrespect shown to Stecher is appalling. Instead of telling him that the team wanted to go in a different direction, which obviously was their intention in the first place, they made Stecher wait around, TWICE. First, they set him aside because they were in on OEL. Then they asked him to wait even longer because they're looking at Barrie first.

Stecher deserved so much better than this.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Looks like Stecher took a bit of a haircut on this deal..Having said that, he was definitely affordable...I'm assuming the Canucks dont want to pump any more cash into their bottom pairings right now.

Great character, team player...

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
I'm not going to miss his on-ice performance all that much. It's easily replaced. What can't be easily replaced is his heart, his compete, what he meant to the team. Alas, it's a business, and paying 1.7 to a bottom pair guy is not prudent, period.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Troy Stecher on the call he had with Benning this morning:

“We were talking about a short term deal when he suddenly stopped talking. Then John Weisbrod picked up the phone and told me Jim had fallen asleep. That’s where things fell apart.”

Reactions: bossram and CS95

Scorvat

Mar 17, 2015
I'm not going to miss his on-ice performance all that much. It's easily replaced. What can't be easily replaced is his heart, his compete, what he meant to the team. Alas, it's a business, and paying 1.7 to a bottom pair guy is not prudent, period.

What? I'm pretty sure 1.7 is a pretty standard rate for a bottom pairing defenseman; I mean atleast its better then paying 6 for a number 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia