Player Discussion Troy Stecher, Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
What? I'm pretty sure 1.7 is a pretty standard rate for a bottom pairing defenseman; I mean atleast its better then paying 6 for a number 4
Fallacious, straw man, outright falsification...take your pick lol

Literally, look at any team in the league, the cap hits are all public knowledge...

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Fair deal based on his ice time this past season. It's also one that you have to think he would have been happy to sign with the Canucks if they'd bothered to make him the offer-but Benning was after OEL and Barrie.

A few days ago it was reported that not only did Stecher not receive a qualifying offer (it was clear long ago he wouldn't) but didn't receive any offer at all-which was really surprising. I would have thought Benning would have been aiming to sign him anywhere in the range of 1.5 mm to 1.8 mm. Stecher would have outperformed that deal as he will his Detroit deal, but it is the range one would have expected from an undersized d-man without elite skills who gets by on decision making and work ethic.

Anyway, I'm glad for him, glad for Tanev, glad for Markstrom. They ended up with about what you'd expect them to get and they are clear of the cluster*@!# that the Canucks are looking to be in the future.

Meanwhile, will we be facing a JB panic move shortly? So far we still own our 2021 1st round pick.

Scorvat

Mar 17, 2015
Fallacious, straw man, outright falsification...take your pick lol

Literally, look at any team in the league, the cap hits are all public knowledge...

LOLLL ok buddy I'll go through them and that's not a strawman, I mean for f***s sake they play on the same team I don't see why I can't compare them and their contracts

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Stecher is a great Rosetta Stone for figuring out which fans have no idea what they’re watching when they’re looking at hockey game being played.

You mean that literally they can't make out such a small figure on their TV? That would make sense.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
He had one bad game and was one of our best players for the other 16.

Was a +10. On the ice for 1 goal in the Vegas series.

Stecher played toward the best of his capabilities but short-term +/- varies wildly. Even in full seasons, shooting %'s and goals for/against are prone to significant variance. When Stecher was on the ice at full strength during the post-season the Canucks scored on 12.4% of shots on goal while opponents scored on only 3.6%. It's an aberrant small sample.

Scorvat

Mar 17, 2015

Again, if you think Stecher is bad, you struggle evaluating hockey players.

Stecher played toward the best of his capabilities but short-term +/- varies wildly. Even in full seasons, shooting %'s and goals for/against are prone to significant variance. When Stecher was on the ice at full strength during the post-season the Canucks scored on 12.4% of shots on goal while opponents scored on only 3.6%. It's an aberrant small sample.

I don't think it's small sample

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
I don't think it's small sample

On-ice shooting % that is 3.5x your opponents' % is pure short-term aberration. Stecher's competence as a third-pair defenceman is another matter. I'm fine with Stecher as a third-pair defenceman and always have been, aside from a shaky two or three months at the beginning of the past season.

Reactions: Scorvat

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I am saddened by this recent turn of events... in a world where Stecher is cheaper to sign than Jordie Benn...

Reactions: timw33

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I'm torn about both Stecher and Tanev leaving for greener pastures. On the one hand, how can you expect to improve your blueline if you're not prepared to walk away from some players? And everyone agrees that last year's blueline wasn't nearly good enough.

On the other hand if you're going to cut bait with some players, it would sure help to have adequate replacements in the cue. And unless you believe that raw rookies like Rathbone, Raffery and Juolevi are capable of taking those minutes, then the Canucks blueline is poorer today than it was yesterday.

There are still some right and left shot d-man on the open market who might come in on short-term deals to bridge the gap. But Benning's track record of signing UFA d-men doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
To think we're paying Benn 2M while Stecher signed elsewhere for 1.7...

Benning keeps digging deeper and deeper.

Scorvat

Mar 17, 2015
I probably have a blind spot towards Stecher because he was my favorite player minus the young core and Tanev, but I don't see how this can be justified if no upgrade is brought in to replace him. At least with Tanev you can understand letting him go as you don't want to sign him with term as he ages.

Reactions: vanuck

orcatown

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
So much bad here

- Get a free agent from college who elects to come here b/c he is a local boy and Canucks dump him. What does that say to other college free agents from BC that might have wanted to come here.

- Getting Stecher at this price is an excellent deal. Can't see how the team couldn't at least match the offer.

- another asset lost for nothing. A pattern that has been repeated year after year by this management team

- have nothing to replace him with. Elmer will likely slot in Joulevi who, to date, has shown himself to be a far inferior player just to save face for pushing for Joulevi at the draft

- another extremely popular teammate lost. Idea that at least Benning was building up a sense of loyalty is blown apart.

- Stecher really fit the age range of the core that hopefully was developing. Guys like Benn definitely don't.

I can't think of any team that has been decimated like the Canucks have this off season. Maybe missing some team here but I can't think of anyone.

I guess there is no limit to how much some will defend Benning despite year after year of bad moves. But clearly the present debacle is build upon the horrendous moves of the past and Benning and co. now show themselves to be utterly incompetent in dealing with the crisis they have created. Makes it hard to be a Canuck fan

-

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
He had one bad game and was one of our best players for the other 16.

Was a +10. On the ice for 1 goal in the Vegas series.
Lmao one bad game? No idea what the heck you were watching. Constantly outplayed and lost significantly more puck battles than he lost.
And oh helll no please tell me you didn’t use plus minus as a stat to prove a point

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Lmao one bad game? No idea what the heck you were watching. Constantly outplayed and lost significantly more puck battles than he lost.
And oh helll no please tell me you didn’t use plus minus as a stat to prove a point

When you outscore the other team 15-5 when you're on the ice, it's probably a decent cue that you're doing a good job.

See my other post for the rest of my comments. Stecher was excellent in the playoffs. Period. Full stop.

Reactions: I am toxic

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
When you outscore the other team 15-5 when you're on the ice, it's probably a decent cue that you're doing a good job.

See my other post for the rest of my comments. Stecher was excellent in the playoffs. Period. Full stop.
It’s not though, there are a million other factors. The offense was not driven through the defenseman at all that series, so him being on the ice didn’t have that much to do with it...Also, I have no idea how you thought Stecher was excellent all playoffs, he was exposed when Myers went down and he had to play top 4 minutes. Very exposed. He’s a solid third pairing guy. Period.

TraderJim

Um.. like.. you know
Apr 18, 2006
Ahh so the franchise is pathetic then? Bashing the franchise like that is bull****.
I mean, I was in high-school when the new expansion team Tampa Bay Lightening came into the league and were a laughing stock for nearly the first decade. Since that time, my grandfather has passed away, my dad has passed away, and the Lightening have won multiple cups.

The Canucks? Lost in the finals and all the "true fans" shit on the GM that took them there while praising the man destroying this franchise.

So yes, f***ing pathetic.

Reactions: vanuck
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->