Confirmed with Link: Troy Stecher 2 year deal

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Great acquisition by Yzerman on a dirt cheap deal. I don't see how you expose him, Stetcher and Hronek should be locks to be protected. The defense could go from thoroughly mediocre - which is a huge improvement over the Holland defense corps - to very good in 2-3 years.

Top 5 pick - Seider
Wallinder - Stetcher
X - Hronek

I popped Wallinder in there because in Hakan I trust.

Reactions: Ricelund

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I think Stecher looks like a 3rd pairing D. I'd protect Lindstrom and Cholowski over him just for the dice roll on them maturing into something better. If not, he's a third pairing D which shouldn't be anything special for a GM to find.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I think Stecher looks like a 3rd pairing D. I'd protect Lindstrom and Cholowski over him just for the dice roll on them maturing into something better. If not, he's a third pairing D which shouldn't be anything special for a GM to find.

Do people really believe that there's more to Lindstrom's game at this point? There is no way he develops to be the player that Stecher is today.

Reactions: Unfriendly Ghost

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Do people really believe that there's more to Lindstrom's game at this point? There is no way he develops to be the player that Stecher is today.

Who knows what's in anyone's game at this point, the Wings don't play them.

That's beside the point, though. If he doesn't develop into something more than Stecher, okay, so what? Go out, grab another guy to go out and eat the third pairing minutes that Stecher eats. The point is that there is nothing special about Stecher, and he's past the point where you can realistically bother with the question of if there is more to his game.

Also, with Dekeyser continuing to fall apart, Stecher might have to be available to meet exposure requirements. Conversation might be moot.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Who knows what's in anyone's game at this point, the Wings don't play them.

That's beside the point, though. If he doesn't develop into something more than Stecher, okay, so what? Go out, grab another guy to go out and eat the third pairing minutes that Stecher eats. The point is that there is nothing special about Stecher, and he's past the point where you can realistically bother with the question of if there is more to his game.

Also, with Dekeyser continuing to fall apart, Stecher might have to be available to meet exposure requirements. Conversation might be moot.

You define him as a third pairing guy, but he’s got the second most ice time at 5 on 5. He’s not getting powerplay time, and shouldn’t get it, and the PK would actually stand to benefit a lot by putting Stecher on it in place of Nemeth or Staal, but apparently being big and pretending to block shots gets you PK time. Or even Hronek at this point could come off the PK.

Funny how the guy who analytically and by eye test looks like the best defenseman on the team is not prominent on either of the two worst special teams units in the league...meanwhile he’s given plenty of ice time at even strength on one of the better 5 on 5 teams in terms of suppressing expected goals against.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
You define him as a third pairing guy, but he’s got the second most ice time at 5 on 5. He’s not getting powerplay time, and shouldn’t get it, and the PK would actually stand to benefit a lot by putting Stecher on it in place of Nemeth or Staal, but apparently being big and pretending to block shots gets you PK time. Or even Hronek at this point could come off the PK.

Funny how the guy who analytically and by eye test looks like the best defenseman on the team is not prominent on either of the two worst special teams units in the league...meanwhile he’s given plenty of ice time at even strength on one of the better 5 on 5 teams in terms of suppressing expected goals against.

He averages the second most ET/TOI a game...all of 1 second ahead of Merrill and 7 seconds ahead of Nemeth. You make it sound like the guy is being used as a horse out there when he's really just another in a litany of guys who would be bottom pairing guys on any decent team.

Maybe he doesn't get PK time is because he's a smallish guy with a limited game and Blashill wants to maximize what minutes he can play at ES.

ridilon

Sep 14, 2017
2021 top 5 pick - Seider
Johansson - Hronek
Wallinder - Stecher

Looking like a real defense if these guys pan out!
Curious if you feel that top 5 pick this year is Edvinsson or Power. Or even Clarke if he torches the Czech league.

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
2021 top 5 pick - Seider
Johansson - Hronek
Wallinder - Stecher

Looking like a real defense if these guys pan out!
Johansson-seider
Hughes/power-hronek
Wallinder/viro-stetcher/Lindstrom/tuomisto

That's a potentially absurdly strong young dcore that can be the backbone to a lot of deep playoff runs. Very similar to Nashville I only hope we don't saddle the team with plugs like Turris and Johansen.

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
Curious if you feel that top 5 pick this year is Edvinsson or Power. Or even Clarke if he torches the Czech league.
It could be any of the top defensemen their all have so much raw talent. Lambos is another one I really want to see before I pick in on a player. He might just be the most offensively explosive of the bunch.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
He averages the second most ET/TOI a game...all of 1 second ahead of Merrill and 7 seconds ahead of Nemeth. You make it sound like the guy is being used as a horse out there when he's really just another in a litany of guys who would be bottom pairing guys on any decent team.

Maybe he doesn't get PK time is because he's a smallish guy with a limited game and Blashill wants to maximize what minutes he can play at ES.

We just saw why he’s not on the PK...

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
Came over to see how Stecher was doing and what you guys thought of him. Glad to see he is doing well, he was always excellent at defending the blue line, positioning, transition and compete. If he had any sort of shot he would be a “top four”guy despite his size. He was an excellent penalty killer for the Canucks so surprised to see he’s had an issue there. I think if you give him shot I think over time you’ll find he’s quite good.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Came over to see how Stecher was doing and what you guys thought of him. Glad to see he is doing well, he was always excellent at defending the blue line, positioning, transition and compete. If he had any sort of shot he would be a “top four”guy despite his size. He was an excellent penalty killer for the Canucks so surprised to see he’s had an issue there. I think if you give him shot I think over time you’ll find he’s quite good.

He hasn't been afforded a prominent PK role, but the reaction you read was just based on the ridiculous individual effort that Kurashev made in the last game against Chicago. Stecher was the victim of a fantastic move.

Reactions: William Rusco

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
He hasn't been afforded a prominent PK role, but the reaction you read was just based on the ridiculous individual effort that Kurashev made in the last game against Chicago. Stecher was the victim of a fantastic move.

Ahh ok, I saw that highlight but didn’t know who it was on the ice. It was a hell of a move and sometimes it happens in the NHL. Stecher is usually extremely good at defending the blue line. I think there are some articles out there in the Canucks universe looking at those stats.

anyway, I hope he finds a hone in Detroit, he’s a heart and soul guy and easy to cheer for.

Reactions: FMichael

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Ugh. Really goes to show how bad this team is when a 3rd-pairing guy like Stecher gets this much fanfare. He's a fine enough NHLer. He's competent. He can skate, move the puck, and isn't a liability in his own end, but he's damn near dime a dozen. There is nothing special about Troy Stecher. He may very well be protected in the expansion draft, but that again just underscores how bad this roster is. Would he be protected on any of the 30 other teams?

Reactions: Winger98

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad