Confirmed with Link: Troy Stecher 2 year deal

Hockey Rush

Feb 22, 2018
Starter. He played very regularly for Vancouver.
He played every game and never seems to get hurt. Kids a machine.

Here is an audio interview from him today: ----> Stecher: You want to go where you're wanted, and Detroit seems like a great fit

here in vancouver. Sounds like he was promised all situations opportunity. He had a very limited offensive role here. He was fantastic offensively in the NCAA. I hope he can grow his game and get back on that offensive track!

Reactions: golffuul

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
It's funny how Yzerman did add 4 players, but didn't really add anything to our cap.

Just ~1M guys coming to replace another same valued contract. And when I already estimated 3-4M for a goaltender, Greiss also did fall on that category.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Ever wonder how much better Stetcher would look if he had someone like a healthy DK as a partner?

Reactions: lilidk

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Stetcher has been our best defenseman so far this year. What a great acquistion.

When we signed him, that was what a lot of Vancouver fans were saying would happen.

The overwhelming consensus was that the guy was very underrated and a great bottom pairing guy that can also slide into the top four If there was an injury if needed.

Reactions: Canucks5551

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
While the defense is better than last season, that's still a low bar.

Being better than last year's defense is definitely a low bar, but the team's defense is several times better than last year. The bad giveaways and easy goals have been cut considerably and Stecher and Merrill have been a big part of that. Even Staal to a degree has been a boost...though his play with the puck makes me cringe.

Overall the team has become a lot better at decreasing high danger chances. The guys on our defense that I've been the least impressed with this year have been our mainstays from last year; DDK, Hronek and Nemeth.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Stecher is a big upgrade over Biega so far.
We are 10ish games into the season and the players could be evaluated.

He looks to me like a good offensive dman from those games I have seen. But even staal looked like Orr last game so it is our team.

Reactions: Retire91

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Watched a lot of Stecher while he was in Vancouver. Quietly effective on D and never really made bad plays but can push the pace offensively too which I liked. Did not make sense to me that they decided to let him walk, let alone decide to sign Myers in 2019 to that ridiculous anchor of a contract. After all of that, Detroit ends up with a steal for his value and Vancouver's D is sucking wind led by the brain-dead 6'8 tower.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Watched a lot of Stecher while he was in Vancouver. Quietly effective on D and never really made bad plays but can push the pace offensively too which I liked. Did not make sense to me that they decided to let him walk, let alone decide to sign Myers in 2019 to that ridiculous anchor of a contract. After all of that, Detroit ends up with a steal for his value and Vancouver's D is sucking wind led by the brain-dead 6'8 tower.
Losing Stetcher and Tanev was a huge blow that they're feeling the effects of now.

Always liked Stetcher. Good pickup for Detroit.

Reactions: Our Lady Peace

MabusIncarnate

May 20, 2013
Tennessee
I've been happy with his play, comparing him to someone like Biega last season, the turnovers aren't happening constantly, he jumps into the drive a lot, makes smart decisions with the puck and isn't afraid to shoot. Good add, glad it was a two year deal.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
So does Stevie sell him for a pick or does he keep these cheap contracts around
I think he keeps Stetcher if he can, but my guess is he is fodder for Expansion, at this point, because I don't see Yzerman paying Seattle to take a particular player.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
So does Stevie sell him for a pick or does he keep these cheap contracts around

on a 2-year deal and he's only 26. Might just keep him until someone comes up and pushes him off the team. Cholo and Lindstrom are not good enough to bump Stecher down, but they might eventually be an upgrade over Merril or Djoos.

I can't complain about Staal. He's been what we wanted/expected from Ericsson.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I think he keeps Stetcher if he can, but my guess is he is fodder for Expansion, at this point, because I don't see Yzerman paying Seattle to take a particular player.

Stecher has been the best defenseman on the team for the majority of the season. Yes, Hronek has gathered counting stats, but just watching the impact that Stecher has on the game is the tell-tale sign, and the metrics back that up. Hronek has 11 more minutes of ice time at 5 on 5 (297 vs 285). Stecher leads the two in CF% 51.1% vs 50%. Stecher leades in GF% 52.6% vs 35.0%. Stecher leads in xGF% 54.6% vs 46.1%. Stecher leads in SCF% 54.6% vs 49.1%. Stecher leads in HDCF% 63.0% vs 44.9%.

At this point, Stecher should be protected in the expansion draft and we should be planning to try extending him. Obviously extension plans subject to change depending on his play between now and next year.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Stecher has been the best defenseman on the team for the majority of the season. Yes, Hronek has gathered counting stats, but just watching the impact that Stecher has on the game is the tell-tale sign, and the metrics back that up. Hronek has 11 more minutes of ice time at 5 on 5 (297 vs 285). Stecher leads the two in CF% 51.1% vs 50%. Stecher leades in GF% 52.6% vs 35.0%. Stecher leads in xGF% 54.6% vs 46.1%. Stecher leads in SCF% 54.6% vs 49.1%. Stecher leads in HDCF% 63.0% vs 44.9%.

At this point, Stecher should be protected in the expansion draft and we should be planning to try extending him. Obviously extension plans subject to change depending on his play between now and next year.
While I want to keep Stetcher, I don’t see who Yzerman exposes (maybe Merrill?) to keep him.

WinginVirginia

Jan 19, 2021
I would think DeKeyser would be exposed .......Stecher, and Merrill have tremendous value as bridges to the D prospects. As a LH defensemen where we don’t have much depth, Merrill likely gets resigned this summer on a 1/2yr contract

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
I would think DeKeyser would be exposed .......Stecher, and Merrill have tremendous value as bridges to the D prospects. As a LH defensemen where we don’t have much depth, Merrill likely gets resigned this summer on a 1/2yr contract
I want him to be, but his injury may prevent that from happening.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
They're not going to expose Stetcher if he performs like this. He's our best defenseman at the moment

Hronek and Stetcher are locks
Agreed.

our '21-'22 D:
1. ? ...(eventually Werenski as UFA?)
2. Seider R **
3. Hronek R protect
4. Stecher R protect
5. Merrill (resigned 1-3yrs after ED) L
6. Djoos (resigned 1-2yrs after ED) L
7. Lindstrom R protect
8. TAZ

Hoog

Feb 4, 2021
Protect the young and let them choose from the old. So basically, anyone at or under 26 gets protected.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Yeah, I can't see Yzerman not finding a way to protect Stecher. He looks like he could be a long-term piece here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad