Confirmed with Link: Troy Stecher 2 year deal

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
Very happy with this.

mobile and right shot. Good term.

I liked Stecher and Merrill heading into Free Agency, so I can’t complain.

They’re also 28 and 27 years old, so if they perform and fit in (I do think there is some upside with Stecher). They could still be around/resigned for when we start winning again.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I like it. Figured he'd be an interesting option after the Canucks didn't qualify him.

Reactions: Marky9er

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I don't know much about Stecher. What is his game like? Good signing or Age/Talent level, nice cheap deal.

Again fills a hole, nice tradable deal if we are offered assets. And maybe he is better than some prospects we we're thinking about getting into lineup in a few years.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
Very happy with this.

mobile and right shot. Good term.

I liked Stecher and Merrill heading into Free Agency, so I can’t complain.

They’re also 28 and 27 years old, so if they perform and fit in (I do think there is some upside with Stecher). They could still be around/resigned for when we start winning again.
That's great and it looks like Stecher isn't 27 until April...that could end up being a great fit but let's see!

Reactions: Ginger Papa

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
None of these signings are anything to get extremely hyped up about, but literally every player is an upgrade on what we had last year and the year before, and the contracts are all no risk

These guys shelter our youth for longer and can be flipped for assets if/ when the time comes

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
don't hate it, depth defensive defenseman?

On this team, I'd imagine he's penciled in as #2 at RD between Hronek and Biega and in the line-up every night. He's coming off a decent season as the #5D for the Canucks where he saw defensive assignments and PK, yet still put up some decent offense at 5v5. He also led the Canucks in +/- in the playoffs.

Hockey Rush

Feb 22, 2018
I wrote this to the red wing podcast cuz i like those guys.

"Troy Stecher. GREAT ADD. Sad to see him leave Vancouver. The kid has all the heart in the world and is a tireless worker. He was usually slotted in as a 3rd pair guy in VAN. Always seemed to end up in the top 4 often alongside Alex Edler. This kid could play top 4 minutes for you! he also has a cute dog lol. We call him "Tony Strecher" or "Troy from Richmond". good kid. his first training camp in Vancouver he rode his bike from Richmond to the rink. He regularly pukes in training camp from pushing himself so hard. He is "ALL-IN" all the time. Hell of a pickup and that cap hit damn. VAN needs to get bigger on the backend. West coast is just a lot heavier than out East for the most part. Wish you well ! ENJOY HE"s a STUD."

You are going to love the energy, passion, and committing this guy plays the game. Kids a stud. He learned a fair bit from Alex Biega too when he was here briefly.

Hockey Rush

Feb 22, 2018
I don't know much about Stecher. What is his game like? Good signing or Age/Talent level, nice cheap deal.

Again fills a hole, nice tradable deal if we are offered assets. And maybe he is better than some prospects we we're thinking about getting into lineup in a few years.
my comment above sums it up pretty good. A tireless worker, physical for a small guy, he is all - in all the time. He is extremely passionate and a very candid interviewee too. He is a great guy.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Yeah, that’s the *EDIT* with this off-season. It’s obviously not a home run. But every single move is a walk or a scratched out single or a productive out like a sac fly that scores a run.

If you’re looking for big splashy moves, none here. Wings are trying to be somewhat respectable (aka not complete dogshit) in 20-21. And look to reshape it all in 21-22

E: I previously said issue and that sounded negative to me. That's the crux of this off-season? That's the beauty of this offseason?

Last edited:

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I was curious about whether we would explore some of these kids who did not get qualified. Nice low key add.

Hockey Rush

Feb 22, 2018

Vancouver writer

He is 100% right. Drance use to work as the head PR guy for the Panthers. He's back to being a beat writer in Vancouver.

Stecher is found money. Great contract. His arb case would have given him around 3M per season and Vancouver couldn't afford that.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Could it be Yzerman is building a playoff team and we just don't know it?

He could be pounding his fist on the table screaming [Herb Brooks, February 22, 1980:] "I'm not looking for the best players, Craig, I'm lookin' for the right ones" (Lake Placid, New York, U.S)

Why not? If 1980 USA can do it, why can't Yzerman? (Little Caesars Arena, circa 2021)

You heard it first here.

Paywall

Reactions: ealong59

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
This is a great move! Make no mistake the Wings are still going to be a boyto feeder team and will be all but a lock to get another top 5 pick let alone a top 10 pick. That said, literally every move has been low risk high reward and will allow for the roster to be totally reinvented over the next couple of years. I wouldn't be surprised if we see another off season just like this one before making a splash in FA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad