News Article: Troy Mann relieved of duties.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Weird firing. Dorion obviously lying saying it was performance related. Typical of this management group to do something that’s almost never done.

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa

Ok so wording matters here, they didnt say fired and he didnt say quit

The only reasonable explanation is that he got a career changing offer? Or something else came up legally? Idk just talkin

He's part of a trade for a Defenseman

• Haha
Reactions: gab6511

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Doesn't the AGM manage Belleville? Wouldn't the recommendation to fire the coach come from the person who oversees that part of the team? So that's most likely Bowness, unless Mann was given the responsibility of Belleville when he was promoted to AGM. I don't think Dorion has time to be scouting games all across the western conference and to also be in Belleville assessing the coaching staff.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
The timing of this is weird. Something must have happened behind the scenes e.g. Troy didn’t want to follow direction from the big club.
Two weeks ago an opposing coach said we scramble and don’t really have structure lol.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
This will be a shock to the whole 'Troy Mann is the next Ottawa coach' crew. He's long been overrated by people who clearly don't watch any Belleville Senators hockey.

Belleville hasn't exactly been a developmental powerhouse for us recently. Other than Batherson, Norris and I guess Nick Paul not a ton of quality has actually come up through the system, and personally I think a guy like Norris probably develops no matter who his coach was. On the flip side, how many players have stagnated down there? Plenty. That's not all on the coaching staff, but it has to be accounted for.
Part of this is many of our top prospects have jumped straight to the NHL, Tkachuck, Stützle, Sanderson, Pinto all spent no time in the AHL, Greig only has a couple dozen games, Boucher is still in the OHL. Jarventie would only have just been eligible for AHL this season had he been drafted from the CHL, but has been injured all year, Kleven is still in the NCAA.

JBD and Thomson seem to be the stagnant prospects, I guess you could add L.Brown. personally I see JBD progressing as expected, and was never really a fan of Thomson, after that you have later picks like Sokolov Crookshank, Lodin, ect.

Im not sure how far off from realistic expectations our development in Belleville has really been.
Results have been bad too. No playoff appearances in 5 seasons, though he was robbed of one in the COVID year. I think his systems are a little outdated for the modern game. Very passive. Team is regularly dominated territorially and has a ton of trouble generating anything at 5-on-5.

He's a good interview, but so was Kurt Kleinendorst. You have to produce.

The team has said numerous times in the past that the AHL club essentially plays the big clubs system, has that changed?

Reactions: NB613 and DrEasy

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Wondering what makes you think this will be terrible for the organization? If an ownership change is in the 11th hour, wouldn't everyone be on the chopping block sooner or later?
Are changes to AHL coaching staff common when ownership changes? I honestly don't know. GM, sure NHL coach, absolutely, I guess there's always going to be trickle down effect as the new guys bring their own people.

Anyways, I don't really think this is a big deal, I liked Mann, but AHL HC isn't a make or break position to fill imo, and there should be lots of qualified options out there.

Reactions: Cosmix

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Eh, isn't a big deal one way or another.

Belleville has been a tire fire for a while, though part of that is that our prospects have either gone straight to the NHL or been garbage.

Cannot wait for the same to be done in Ottawa, from management down, end is finally near. Few months away.

Our good prospects in Belleville turned into good NHLers, Batherson, Formenton, Norris, and soon to be Greig.

Majority of the rest of our prospects down there, not surprising they aren't turning into good NHLers, they were not very good prospects.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Prevailing wisdom among enlightened Sens fans was Rick Bowness good/Dorion bad and DJ bad/ Mann good.

#2 The Mann firing just blew a hole through that framework. How are we going square that circle?
I guess Bowness now joins the ranks of the bad?

The people clamoring for changes in management assume that new the regime would somehow be more aligned with the common sense of Sens twitter or Hfboards. #2 New management could have radically different perspective on the team. 2 And with no history and fidelity to the current group of players, they may decide to make some significant changes to the core. Maybe flipping Chabot or Debrincat? Or trading Zub? Who knows?

Brady, Timmy and Jake are probably the only untouchables.
Re: bolded

1. There's going to be folks (the usual suspects) that will now turn on Mann and say he wasn't very good anyhow. That's a typical maneuver and how some manage & react to "square that circle".

2. That is something I have thought about as well. You never know when new ownership and/or GM take over what will happen. They may see things differently and want to go in a new direction i.e., their direction.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrEasy

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
So basically senators had some pre scout notes on team X, team Z was playing team X and Mann likely passed notes on team X to team Z. It doesn’t hurt the sens but it’s also not professional and most jobs will fire you for things like that

Reactions: Emrasie

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
This is playing out like this show I once watched it was like a parody of MI5/6. DJ and Dorion can’t figure out why their teams can’t win and they like bashing their head against the wall.
And they’re like wait a minute…..what if we are actually really good but we have someone selling all our secrets and next moves to the enemy! That must be it!

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

DJ heard that coach say all we do is scramble and have no structure and he knew right then and there there was a mole.

Will we get some context here. This seems like something leaked to tarnish Mann and if the content had real value would be interesting.
I'd love to have the details of specifically what they are suggesting was leaked.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
@bert we were both wrong man. It’s not individual errors. And it’s not DJ smith. It was Mann selling our secrets. Opposing teams knew what we were doing before we did it

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Eh, isn't a big deal one way or another.

Belleville has been a tire fire for a while, though part of that is that our prospects have either gone straight to the NHL or been garbage.

Cannot wait for the same to be done in Ottawa, from management down, end is finally near. Few months away.

Our good prospects in Belleville turned into good NHLers, Batherson, Formenton, Norris, and soon to be Greig.

Majority of the rest of our prospects down there, not surprising they aren't turning into good NHLers, they were not very good prospects.
Paul was also graduated full time but he'd been around for a while.
Given the rest of the basket and the injuries some have had to deal with I certainly would not point to the results as failures on Mann's part,

Reactions: Icelevel

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
Dorion last night:

tumblr_njrs98I5bm1u7hi19o3_500.gif

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
@bert we were both wrong man. It’s not individual errors. And it’s not DJ smith. It was Mann selling our secrets. Opposing teams knew what we were doing before we did it
Yeah I mean I dont know if I believe this one. Why didnt they say that first? Seems to me like the media brought lite to the real reason...... Now the teams contact comes out with something that makes little to no sense.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Event closes