Confirmed with Link: Trouba to be named Captain as per Kevin Weekes

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Again I'm happy with the choice but I think it will have exactly zero bearing on when and what decisions Drury makes after this season.

This is about this season, maybe this season and the next one. Symbolic of the current core. They will be parted with eventually. It'll be sad, but it'll have to happen.

hackeyman

Jun 26, 2018
I liked the idea of no captain/6 Captains but if you had to pick one I think he was the logical choice.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
You would think this would have an impact on him not being traded for cap relief down the road now.
Could be understood as the "kiss of death" as well. Captain's get traded from here, ya' know.
Wanted Kreids, but why have any possible jealousy betwixt the 2, giving it to him OVER equally deserving Zibby.
Makes sense in many ways, especially come Trouba's availability down the line. I have come to be fond of him.

hackeyman

Jun 26, 2018
I think he had a big say. Supposedly Gallant wanted to make Trouba the Captain last year but was red lighted at the last minute. Right now, Turk has a lot of chips. That’s what winning will do.
I think you are right he had a big say. They talked about it at the press conference. Turk said he didn't know the guys and wasn't ready when he arrived. He said he was used to alt captains in Vegas but as the season went on he and Drury talked about it and reading the room(team), Trouba emerged as the consensus choice. Maybe Turk wanted to make the decision before the playoffs and Drury said let's wait but I doubt Turk was "red lighted" in a heavy handed kind of way (and I am not saying that is what you meant) . I think there is a big positive we can take here and that is Drury is treating Turk more like a partner/teammate than Vegas did. It seems to me that GM's that take that position with coaches have more success and especially when the players love the coach. I think this is what everyone wanted and in this case that's a good thing.

Last edited:

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Kreider seemed to me like he was auditioning for the role in every interview he did this season. Like he was method acting things he thought a captain would do. I'm not surprised it went to Trouba though and I kind of like it actually. For all his faults and his contract he is a mean mo**********.
OR, he was just being genuine. Funny though, I actually was thinking the same all along. Really played the part, and should be able to get a leading role in the movie;
"2023 NY Rangers,
Our 2nd lifetime in the hereafter"

Reactions: TheGortonConspiracy

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012

wholesome

iu

• Haha
Reactions: EdJovanovski

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
Called it a long time ago. I told you guys that Kreider will never be captain.

I love him but the dude is a friendly giant and he isn't very vocal.

Trouba is a very good (and obvious) choice for captaincy.

I just don’t understand considering I don’t think he’ll be around for too long.

He’ll definitely be a scapegoat whether it’s warranted or not, you can count on that
Same thing likely goes for Kreider.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Wait why not Fox? Long Island kid, just signed a long contract, top player on the team during the PO's / overall superstar. Too quiet in the room?

This is not mcdonagh, Fox is a bonafide superstar.

Reactions: mas0764

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Wait why not Fox? Long Island kid, just signed a long contract, top player on the team during the PO's / overall superstar. Too quiet in the room?

Because Fox will be a career Ranger, they want to give it to someone who will only be here for another year or two until they give it to Krav

Reactions: mas0764

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
Trouba and Igor are the only ones who have an intensity too them, at least consistently, and deserves it. Kreider, Zib and Fox are too quiet. Let Zib and Fox do their thing. Kreider would go back to a 20 goal season as Captain.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013

Fox seems quiet, I do not get why people are so obsessed with the best players getting the captaincy.

Trouba is our most vocal player.

Captaincy

Trouba

Kreider

Fox/Zibanejad

In that order.

Reactions: NickyFotiu

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Called it a long time ago. I told you guys that Kreider will never be captain.

I love him but the dude is a friendly giant and he isn't very vocal.

Trouba is a very good (and obvious) choice for captaincy.

Same thing likely goes for Kreider.
Actually Trouba isn’t very vocal either.

Whoever thinks Kreider isn’t vocal isn’t paying attention to warmups, the bench and the media.

Toughest part of this job for Trouba is going to be media. He has been pretty quiet in the past.

NYR2007

Sponsor
Jul 7, 2009
New York
All jokes aside I don’t even remember trouba doing any interviews with the media during the season. I don’t count the playoffs cause that is a little different.

Also anyone notice during the press conference when the media asked Trouba what he is doing this off season to prepare for the season, he kinda said a joke and it seemed like drury rolled his eyes. Maybe I was reading too much into it.

I like the pick, it seemed like now the team is ready for a captain. But like many have said , this is a bigger deal to the fans then the team in my opinion. The team is gonna operate as it’s been.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Also anyone notice during the press conference when the media asked Trouba what he is doing this off season to prepare for the season, he kinda said a joke and it seemed like drury rolled his eyes. Maybe I was reading too much into it.

10 minutes in. Looked like a smirk too me. Gallant gave a hearty chuckle. Wasn't that funny.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad