Speculation: Trouba [MOD: his next contract]

Status
Not open for further replies.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
This was his last (He didn't even acknowledge July 4th)

Ironic Uses of Multiple Exclamation Marks
"There is surely a point after which exclamation marks no longer express friendliness. In this post-literal time, exclamation marks become signs of sarcasm as witty correspondents rebel against their overuse. Hence: 'I loved your last email! OMG did I LOVE it!!!!!!' The point is they didn't. They were being IRONIC."
(Stuart Jeffries, "The Joy of Exclamation Marks!" The Guardian, April 29, 2009)

By using two exclamation marks, Trouba is clearly being ironic, indicating his desire to be out of Canada, specifically out of Winnipeg.

Thai jet*

Oct 23, 2014
Thailand
I'm sure he's aware he's not getting a deal like that. There was so much wrong with that Tim Campbell article, i have fully discounted it.

Like What???? Buff asked for $7m per for 8 yrs according to the story. He settled for $7.5 for less years. Absolutely conceivable.
[mod] Sportsnet National media, real plugged in hockey guys, said it was true and was LEAKED by the Jet's front office. They said they had real sympathy for Chevy having to deal with such people.
I know bargaining. Did it on a country wide basis and studied it academically. Dealt with an employer with many times more revenue than the NHL. The parties opening proposal are NEVER close to the final settlement. I will go with ex-GM MacLean and Kipper on this one. Any speculation on the obvious leakers I will keep to myself.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thai jet*

Oct 23, 2014
Thailand
Close

I find it a bit interesting that when Laine was drafted and when Scheifs signed his new deal... Jets who somewhat regularly use twitter like Scheif Ehlers etc congratulated both. Trouba did not and has been kind of quiet on social media. Odd. I get he's in negotiations but... at the same time I'm not sure he's legit proven his worth yet. I'd go 6 x 5 or 7 x 5.5. If he wants more than that I think I'd probably look to move him. Arizona is said to have interest.
Maybe Trouba and Stafford for Strome and maybe Stone or something like that

Close. I say 7x5.75. He has gone beyond the call of duty playing either the LD or with Stu. It would be a terrible blow to the reputation of the organization to use that as leverage.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Like What???? Buff asked for $7m per for 8 yrs according to the story. He settled for $7.5 for less years. Absolutely conceivable.
[mod] Sportsnet National media, real plugged in hockey guys, said it was true and was LEAKED by the Jet's front office. They said they had real sympathy for Chevy having to deal with such people.
I know bargaining. Did it on a country wide basis and studied it academically. Dealt with an employer with many times more revenue than the NHL. The parties opening proposal are NEVER close to the final settlement. I will go with ex-GM MacLean and Kipper on this one. Any speculation on the obvious leakers I will keep to myself.

You waited 2 months to comment on my post?

But really you're defending Campbell's article? OK all the power to you.

Trouba's agent denied they asked what was reported.

it's also pretty clear with the market set by Rielly and Trouba that he will not sign a deal anywhere close to Doughty money. Are you suggesting that he's going to get 7 x $7M. Why would the Jets overpay by at least $2M per season?

Last edited by a moderator:

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Ironic Uses of Multiple Exclamation Marks
"There is surely a point after which exclamation marks no longer express friendliness. In this post-literal time, exclamation marks become signs of sarcasm as witty correspondents rebel against their overuse. Hence: 'I loved your last email! OMG did I LOVE it!!!!!!' The point is they didn't. They were being IRONIC."
(Stuart Jeffries, "The Joy of Exclamation Marks!" The Guardian, April 29, 2009)

By using two exclamation marks, Trouba is clearly being ironic, indicating his desire to be out of Canada, specifically out of Winnipeg.

"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind."

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
The Subban bridge deal was 2 x $2.875M or something. He'd been asking for a longer term deal like 5 x $5.25M I think?

After the bridge he got an 8 year x $9M deal...well played, Montreal! :sarcasm:

...with, evidently, a ticking timebomb of a full NMC.

Oops!

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Everyone knew at the time that signing Subban to a bridge deal was a terrible move by MB. Instead of having him locked up for a song (even at 6.75m x 8), Subban and his crew raked MB over the coals when it came down to arbitration talks. Good on him. Bridge deals are for players who haven't earned anything more than that. Reilly, Ekblad, Barkov, Scheifele, and other young players have all shown a trajectory that makes it poisonous to entertain a bridge because the short term savings will bite you in the ass in the long run.

In a league that is trending towards getting younger and not relying on the play of 30+ year old vets, you have to pay your young stars well. It's expected earnings relative to future production, not expected earnings relative to what they did in their prime. Not only do you potentially get their services for cheap at 22, compared to trying to sign your star RFA at 25, but you also avoid arbitration for pretty much their entire RFA career. That should be motivation enough to lock up RFAs for max term if you feel that they're worth it.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Everyone knew at the time that signing Subban to a bridge deal was a terrible move by MB. Instead of having him locked up for a song (even at 6.75m x 8), Subban and his crew raked MB over the coals when it came down to arbitration talks. Good on him. Bridge deals are for players who haven't earned anything more than that. Reilly, Ekblad, Barkov, Scheifele, and other young players have all shown a trajectory that makes it poisonous to entertain a bridge because the short term savings will bite you in the ass in the long run.

In a league that is trending towards getting younger and not relying on the play of 30+ year old vets, you have to pay your young stars well. It's expected earnings relative to future production, not expected earnings relative to what they did in their prime. Not only do you potentially get their services for cheap at 22, compared to trying to sign your star RFA at 25, but you also avoid arbitration for pretty much their entire RFA career. That should be motivation enough to lock up RFAs for max term if you feel that they're worth it.

Agreed. Pretty much every team is locking in their top young talent long term after their ELC's. Ensures cost certainty at an affordable price for the player into their UFA years.

Lowry and Armia are the types of players you bridge. You still don't know what you have or even if they will fully establish themselves as NHL players. Scheifele and Trouba you lock up long term at the best price possible. In Trouba's case he has already established himself as a top 4 D-man at 22 y/o with strong top pairing potential a couple years down the line. I'd say he ends up getting in between Rielly and Jones money. He may not quite be there yet but those are his closest comparables. I'll say 6 years at $5.125 M.

I'd also argue that in the Jets case it is hazardous to their future not to sign Trouba long term. A bridge deal just kicks the can down the road. If Trouba sheds the Stuart anchor and plays a couple season's as Buff's side kick now you could be looking at $7 M + for a player with arbitration rights, just as Little, Wheeler, Ehlers, Laine & Connor will be coming due for their next contracts. If 2 of those 3 RFA guys are already pushing star status at the end of their ELC's that will be a lot of cap space. The Jets have managed the cap well to date. I don't expect a major misstep at this point.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Agreed. Pretty much every team is locking in their top young talent long term after their ELC's. Ensures cost certainty at an affordable price for the player into their UFA years.

Lowry and Armia are the types of players you bridge. You still don't know what you have or even if they will fully establish themselves as NHL players. Scheifele and Trouba you lock up long term at the best price possible. In Trouba's case he has already established himself as a top 4 D-man at 22 y/o with strong top pairing potential a couple years down the line. I'd say he ends up getting in between Rielly and Jones money. He may not quite be there yet but those are his closest comparables. I'll say 6 years at $5.125 M.

I'd also argue that in the Jets case it is hazardous to their future not to sign Trouba long term. A bridge deal just kicks the can down the road. If Trouba sheds the Stuart anchor and plays a couple season's as Buff's side kick now you could be looking at $7 M + for a player with arbitration rights, just as Little, Wheeler, Ehlers, Laine & Connor will be coming due for their next contracts. If 2 of those 3 RFA guys are already pushing star status at the end of their ELC's that will be a lot of cap space. The Jets have managed the cap well to date. I don't expect a major misstep at this point.

Good posts boys.

Some negotiations are easy and some are tougher. TNSE have proven they are willing to wait.....and wait.......and wait and or trade if nessesary when they don't get their deal. Many of the FA deals have been done late in Summer or early in September before camp. (Kane September 14th, Bogosian September 13th bridge deal then July 29th long term and Wheeler was close to August). The table has been set with plenty of comps and unless there is an offer sheet, Jacob wants to play in Russia, or he is willing to sit at some point a deal will get done. Cooler heads generally prevail in these situations.

My "GUESS" would be if they don't trade him they will sign him just before the Canada cup to a six year deal. His agent has a reputation of being tough and as we saw with one of his clients Kyle Turris he was willing to sit until 10 games into a season to sign but that was a far more contentious relationship with Turris being sent to the AHL team often in his young career and Tippett wanting to play him in the bottom six. Both sides agreed to disagree on Turris usage, contact worth, and talent and the relationship was toxic enough a move needed to be made for both sides sake. Trouba has proven allot more than Kyle had at the same age and unlike Turris Jacob will get paid allot of money.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
One thing Button said about the potential of a Trouba bridge deal is the fact that in 2 years both Enstrom and Stuart come off the books. The Trouba camp may see that as an opportunity for more $$$ after a 2 yr bridge.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
For those who are posting or hinting at things that we would judge as potentially libelous (rumours/speculation/innuendo about illegal behaviour, etc) - stop. I know that everyone has seen the warnings regarding providing verifiable links: the next person to make these kind of claims without being able to back them up will be infracted, and will be removed from this thread.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Good posts boys.

Some negotiations are easy and some are tougher. TNSE have proven they are willing to wait.....and wait.......and wait and or trade if nessesary when they don't get their deal. Many of the FA deals have been done late in Summer or early in September before camp. (Kane September 14th, Bogosian September 13th bridge deal then July 29th long term and Wheeler was close to August). The table has been set with plenty of comps and unless there is an offer sheet, Jacob wants to play in Russia, or he is willing to sit at some point a deal will get done. Cooler heads generally prevail in these situations.

My "GUESS" would be if they don't trade him they will sign him just before the Canada cup to a six year deal. His agent has a reputation of being tough and as we saw with one of his clients Kyle Turris he was willing to sit until 10 games into a season to sign but that was a far more contentious relationship with Turris being sent to the AHL team often in his young career and Tippett wanting to play him in the bottom six. Both sides agreed to disagree on Turris usage, contact worth, and talent and the relationship was toxic enough a move needed to be made for both sides sake. Trouba has proven allot more than Kyle had at the same age and unlike Turris Jacob will get paid allot of money.

I don't think Trouba sits out. He'll want to play in the Canada Cup, but he doesn't want to risk injury before signing a big money contract. Something tells me that he'll sign for the guaranteed money before a risk of injury jeopardizes that.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

I think Campbell's article was pure speculation. I highly doubt that the Jets would leak the contract demands of three pending free agents. In fact, Campbell cited non Jets sources. He was off by 40% on Buff's contract. Those media guys have been so wrong about so many rumors I'm surprised anyone believes them.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
I don't think Trouba sits out. He'll want to play in the Canada Cup, but he doesn't want to risk injury before signing a big money contract. Something tells me that he'll sign for the guaranteed money before a risk of injury jeopardizes that.

I wonder if he would play anyway. He would likely be insured for future earnings like Scheifele was at the World Championships.

It's uncharted territory.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Excellent point. I expect the contract to be done before the tournament. If Trouba doesn't want to stay in Winnipeg long term for some reason, I think the Jets move him now.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
I think Campbell's article was pure speculation. I highly doubt that the Jets would leak the contract demands of three pending free agents. In fact, Campbell cited non Jets sources. He was off by 40% on Buff's contract. Those media guys have been so wrong about so many rumors I'm surprised anyone believes them.

McLean and Kyprios also have a terrible track record for accuracy. That's a very odd choice to use since they have been so unreliable in the past I'm still waiting for the Pens to trade Malkin.

DonM

The Industrial Revolution and its consequences
May 18, 2015
For those who are posting or hinting at things that we would judge as potentially libelous (rumours/speculation/innuendo about illegal behaviour, etc) - stop. I know that everyone has seen the warnings regarding providing verifiable links: the next person to make these kind of claims without being able to back them up will be infracted, and will be removed from this thread.

The standard for Libel against public figures is extremely high. Posting rumors about illegal activity would never qualify.

RonJon

May 18, 2011
I wonder if he would play anyway. He would likely be insured for future earnings like Scheifele was at the World Championships.

It's uncharted territory.

I'm sure your right but would he be insured based on his ELC? A lot less money but to put it into prospective I'm sure still tons more than any HFers annual salary.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005

Didn't the Campbell article say that Buff wanted 55 over 8 years? That is less dollars per year then what he currently got but we signed him to less term.

Since we can't speculate on rumors about players(even if you think they are true) we can't really discuss why they Jets might consider moving a player.

It makes perfect sense to sign Trouba to 6/7/8 years at 5 per year. Seeing as they haven't yet and seeing that Jones signed for 5.4 per year, it is reasonable to assume that they are not close in money yet which again would seem to suggest that Campbells article is pretty close to want he might be requesting.

powder88

Nov 21, 2013
Here's an exercise for us all: How much would the Jets loose by bridging Trouba?

Given the market that has been set for young D, it seems like the most likely Trouba contract is six years at no more than $5.5, for at total contract of $33 million and six years of club control, but only two UFA years.

Let's say they bridge him at 2x$3.5, what are the most likely outcomes there? If he played right side for those two years, he'd certainly be behind Buff on the depth chart. If plays on the left, he will be behind Enstrom, with Morissey coming up behind him. His next contract would be up as he will be poised (probably) to be the #1 left side D, but he will not have a track record of playing there. It is awfully difficult to see him in a position to win, or even challenge, for a Norris in either case; which is what really screwed Montreal with Subban. No team will pay $8-9 million for a very good 2-3 defence man, which is the most likely development curve. I'll bite on 7x$7 million as a potential contract in a two years time; maybe more, maybe less, depending on his development

In that scenario, the Jets pay $56 million for nine years of club control and 5 UFA years, which is still a shade over $6.2 million. You are also buying the security of knowing, for sure, what kind of player you have. That doesn't seem like a terrible outcome to me. I'm ok with 6x$5 million, but I will lose no sleep with a bridge deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad