Eklund Rumor: Trouba - Leafs, Boston & Wings

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Tyler Bozak comes to mind. He'd fill in nicely as a top 9 C during the rest of the season and be a top 6 target for LV come June.

Bozak isn't big enough to be considered as a Trouba return. Any small plus onto Bozak doesn't make up the difference

REGGIE DUNLOP77

Jun 16, 2014
Southern GeorgianBay
Don't think the Leafs will be trading Gardiner, Rielly pr Zaitsev to improve their defense. Just doesn't make any sense.
If Gardiner was sent in a package for Trouba the leafs 2nd pairing would be pretty horrible for the next couple seasons. I don't see the point in stacking the 1st pairing while having a terrible 2nd pairing. Gardiner has also been amazing this year.

Thats interesting and i thought about for a few minutes,i don,t like the idea of trading a D for a D ,but we are talking a top paring D,maybe #1,,,its alot easier to fill a 4 spot,,
Should not trade Reilly..

If this is the D Lou wants i am sure he would trade any leaf, Nylander included,somebody might add,,,,

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
I don't really understand the point of trading Gardiner for Trouba from a Leafs perspective. If we do it, we're still desperately looking for a top 4 defenseman.

Forwards for defense...I see the potential there.

Mar 26, 2010
What does that leave?

I think it is obvious the Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Kadri or Rielly would not be going back in the trade, and I am a lost certain JVR would cost more.

What would you guys want for him?

leaflover

Stanley Cup 2022
Mar 3, 2002
beautiful B.C
Visit site
Detroit would be the most likely of the teams mentioned. Seems like Phoenix, Dallas and New Jersey would be other potential destinations. Then again the asking price could increase the number of suitors or turn every team off completely.

Really, Winnipeg should keep him because he's as important to them as he would be to anyone else and it's one less piece to accumulate for them to become a playoff contender.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I think it is obvious the Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Kadri or Rielly would not be going back in the trade, and I am a lost certain JVR would cost more.

Rielly. You have no other piece that makes sense for us. And since that is just a lateral swap for you, there's no point in doing that.

We absolutely can't afford to trade a top pairing defenseman right now without getting one back. Let's just leave it at that.

Mar 26, 2010
Rielly. You have no other piece that makes sense for us. And since that is just a lateral swap for you, there's no point in doing that.

We absolutely can't afford to trade a top pairing defenseman right now without getting one back. Let's just leave it at that.

I would not trade Rielly for Trouba, and to be honest no one would.

I agree, no deal with Toronto.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I would not trade Rielly for Trouba, and to be honest no one would.

I agree, no deal with Toronto.

I'm not sure if Rielly would make us better. However, that's mostly due to Trouba being the exact type of defenseman who you need, if Buff happens to be your 1D.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=81697&blogger_id=1

Eklund creating clicks again, in the past all three teams have been linked to showing significant interest in Trouba by multi sources.....not just Eklund.

If you believe the player & agent playing in Canada is no problem for Trouba.

Let's hear those low ball offers. Let's make it interesting, no players on the Jets are unavailable just some are much less likely to available. Creates bigger conversations and bigger possible deals (linked to Trouba). Quality for quality......don't bother offering a bunch of meh pieces for a great piece.....those posts never help a thread.

Less start by reminding people Jets aren't overly interested in picks as any main piece of a trade. Picks can be added as minor pluses to even out trades of course.

I'm bored and on holidays.....need something to read. Interested in Buff? Wheeler? Little? Laine? Ehlers? Other smaller pieces? Let's hear those crazy offers. Should include Trouba as part of package. Should be fun/amusing to read this.

eklund must have gotten his xmas bill earlier then usual

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011

Clearly Matthews will not be traded for anything. IMO the rest of below could be had for the "right deal". Not sure what the right deal is, but clearly the Leafs have lots of forwards and likely their biggest need is RHD. I agree trading one D for another D likely doesn't make a lot of sense. Forward for a D has some logic behind it.

Gardiner
Reilly
Marner
Nylander
Kadri
(Zero interest in jvr)

So if we remove your top 4 from the list the only thing of value that might be of interest or need to the Jets is:

Marner for Trouba+

Nylander+ or Nylander for Trouba

Kadri++ for trouba

All or any Trouba trade would only happen if Myers was healthy and no long term concerns about his back.

realgoodleafs

Oct 29, 2006
SW Ontario
I don't really understand the point of trading Gardiner for Trouba from a Leafs perspective. If we do it, we're still desperately looking for a top 4 defenseman.

Forwards for defense...I see the potential there.

It gives us a more balanced defence and all our defence prospects play on the left so it's the easiest spot to fill. Rielly and Zaitsev would move into a more offensive role while Trouba and Dermott (or other LHD prospect of ours) would make a good match up pair.

I can only see a deal that's something like Gardiner + Kapanen though. Anything involving our core players is either a lateral move or a downgrade.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Clearly Matthews will not be traded for anything. IMO the rest of below could be had for the "right deal". Not sure what the right deal is, but clearly the Leafs have lots of forwards and likely their biggest need is RHD. I agree trading one D for another D likely doesn't make a lot of sense. Forward for a D has some logic behind it.

Gardiner
Reilly
Marner
Nylander
Kadri
(Zero interest in jvr)

So if we remove your top 4 from the list the only thing of value that might be of interest or need to the Jets is:

Marner for Trouba+

Kadri++ for trouba

All or any Trouba trade would only happen if Myers was healthy and no long term concerns about his back.

You think Trouba is worth Kadri++? Or Nylander+? Please offer him to either the Wings or Boston...i'd be curious to see the ask from those 2.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
If Toronto is involved Connor Carrick will 100% be part of the trade. Im not saying hes the main piece, just that he'll be involved. Leafs would want to protect Rielly, Trouba and, and Gardiner in the expansion draft, and wouldnt risk losing Carrick there.

Carrick, right now is 4/5 RHD with the strong possibility of being a middle pairing guy.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
You think Trouba is worth Kadri++? Or Nylander+? Please offer him to either the Wings or Boston...i'd be curious to see the ask from those 2.

Kadri certainly wouldn't be big on the wish list for Trouba but I put him on the list b/c he holds value and could fill Littles role in a couple years.

I stated Nylander+ "OR" Nylander......I'm not splitting hairs with you.....just putting out a starting point. One player is proven, one isn't as proven. One is on his ELC and one isn't. One is expansion exempt and one isn't. One is a Rhd who are higher value then forwards.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Kadri certainly wouldn't be big on the wish list for Trouba but I put him on the list b/c he holds value and could fill Littles role in a couple years.

I stated Nylander+ "OR" Nylander......I'm not splitting hairs with you.....just putting out a starting point. One player is proven, one isn't as proven. One is on his ELC and one isn't. One is expansion exempt and one isn't. One is a Rhd who are higher value then forwards.

If the asking price is some of the stuff in here, it's a pretty easy pass for me. The Leafs don't have to make any desperate moves, they can wait until the offseason. Stay the course, don't alter the plan. Boston and Detroit....there's your targets.:)

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
If Toronto is involved Connor Carrick will 100% be part of the trade. Im not saying hes the main piece, just that he'll be involved. Leafs would want to protect Rielly, Trouba and, and Gardiner in the expansion draft, and wouldnt risk losing Carrick there.

Carrick, right now is 4/5 RHD with the strong possibility of being a middle pairing guy.

Carrick might be a plus, but not very interesting overall.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
If the asking price is some of the stuff in here, it's a pretty easy pass for me. The Leafs don't have to make any desperate moves, they can wait until the offseason. Stay the course, don't alter the plan. Boston and Detroit....there's your targets.:)

That's cool, I respect that, just starting conversation while on holidays.

Who would you be targeting as a FA to solve your RHD issues?

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
That's cool, I respect that, just starting conversation while on holidays.

Who would you be targeting as a FA to solve your RHD issues?

Shattenkirk comes to mind 1st. But I feel there will be a bunch of movement because of the Xdraft. I like Trouba, but i value him pretty much like Gardiner, (I get Trouba is younger...but they play quite similar)and there is zero chance Gards ever gets these prices.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Shattenkirk comes to mind 1st. But I feel there will be a bunch of movement because of the Xdraft. I like Trouba, but i value him pretty much like Gardiner, (I get Trouba is younger...but they play quite similar)and there is zero chance Gards ever gets these prices.

If you want Shatty an older D signed long term sure......will cost a lot if he makes it to UFA.

Gardiner is more offensive and LHD. Trouba is much more physical, defensive, younger and RHD. IMO their value is different.

Mar 26, 2010

Gardiner
Reilly
Marner
Nylander
Kadri
(Zero interest in jvr)

Marner for Trouba+

Kadri++ for trouba

You really think Marner, Nylander and Kadri would be available for Trouba?

There is no chance Lou makes that trade, nor do

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
You really think Marner, Nylander and Kadri would be available for Trouba?

There is no chance Lou makes that trade, nor do

Not sure, that's why I'm posting to start conversations around a rumour.

If we assume Eklund rumour is right, what could Leafs possibly offer the Jets outside one of those three????? You tell me.

D for D doesn't make a lot of sense IMO maybe you disagree. That means Reilly & Gardiner are out.

Outside of the three you listed above what else do the Leafs have of value the Jets might even remotely consider?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad