Eklund Rumor: Trouba - Leafs, Boston & Wings

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Agent and Trouba both said Canadian locations aren't an issue......if you believe them.

Well if we're to believe the Dreger statement over the summer, It was supposedly Overhardt that told some GMs that Canada wasn't a fit for Trouba and that supposedly Trouba only wanted to play in the States and not Canada. So i guess we will know more once he gets closer to UFA status in under 4 years give or take.

Paradise*

Individual thinker
Jun 9, 2010
Waiverpeg
Let's let Mortimer Snerd (the WPG fan who said he was interested in a Gardiner+ proposal) respond, shall we?

I understand that Gardiner isn't of interest for some WPG fans (not sure why), but apparently he is of interest to others - their opinions are valid too

I never stopped him from responding :laugh:

It's also not exactly what he said either.

"Gardner + that someone mentioned would not be a perfect fit but would get my attention."

Sounds more like desperation than interest IMO

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I don't think Winnipeg is interested in a Gardiner + deal for Trouba. I also don't think Toronto is a good match with Winnipeg for Trouba.

Let's just forget it was ever a consideration and move on.

I could be interested in Gardiner+ Kadri for Trouba+.

Key is what are the plus on the Jets side. Kadri is a decent 2C with grit/pest signed long term.

Gardiner+ for Trouba is a bit less attractive imo.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Ideally a expansion exempt D yes, but doesn't have to be a D IMO assuming Myers recovers.

Still has to be D but that is why I am OK with prospects. With Morrissey and presumably Myers we are OK in the short term top 4. We need to strengthen the 3rd pair and have some top 4 guys coming.

I don't really like banking on Myers being healthy.

Chevy has knowledge of what Myers health situation really is. We have nothing really. We have to assume that Chevy won't bank on Myers if his condition really is that uncertain.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Lol...i agree. I don't see a deal with TO for Trouba. I want to add to Rielly/Gardiner/Zaitsev, and Matthews/Marner/Nylander are probably a nogo. That doesen't leave much.

As I stated in open post, Trouba + could be of interest when I stated no one is untouchable. Opens up possibilities for both sides imo

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I never stopped him from responding :laugh:

It's also not exactly what he said either.

"Gardner + that someone mentioned would not be a perfect fit but would get my attention."

Sounds more like desperation than interest IMO

why would you guys be desperate to do anything - young team with few foreseeable needs and a good farm?

on the spectrum from interest to disinterest, he was open to listening on a Gardiner+ basis - split hairs if you'd like, there was a conversation to be had

Key is what are the plus on the Jets side. Kadri is a decent 2C with grit/pest signed long term.

doubt Kadri is on the table unless Trouba establishes himself as a top pair dman - don't think it's good for team reputation to re-sign a guy for 6 years and deal him in the 1st year, we have lots more contracts to negotiate in the near future so I think we want those guys to believe we're dealing in good faith. Trouba's upside is intriguing but I'm not sure that package would be available yet

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
The guy doesn't want to play in Canada, I wouldn't waste time on it if I was Leaf management.

According to the agent and player after signing this is completely not true. You can choose to believe them or not of course.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Total Bull. WPG has no reason to trade him.

A player like that for $3M. No reason.

Chevy has no urgent need to trade him I agree.

But we have multi reasons to trade him, none are urgent at the moment.

- Improve the team

- If Chevy knows Trouba will never sign a long term deal here.

- ED if above is true, might be no better time to trade him....pre ED

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Don't think the Leafs will be trading Gardiner, Rielly pr Zaitsev to improve their defense. Just doesn't make any sense.
If Gardiner was sent in a package for Trouba the leafs 2nd pairing would be pretty horrible for the next couple seasons. I don't see the point in stacking the 1st pairing while having a terrible 2nd pairing. Gardiner has also been amazing this year.

realgoodleafs

Oct 29, 2006
SW Ontario

It's not clear at this point that Babcock will ever play Nylander at center long-term so that would mean Frederik Gauthier would be our second line center :help:

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
In both Myers' and Trouba's cases, only Chevy knows what the real truth behind their situations are. There could be handshake agreements between Trouba and Chevy, and many don't know Myers' status as of now.

We can only speculate and throw educated guesses around, but I'm fairly certain that if Chevy knows that there are concerns over either player's future with the Jets, he should be really reluctant to trade the other. As long as they are dead quiet about Myers, I don't see a scenario in which Trouba is traded.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
As I stated in open post, Trouba + could be of interest when I stated no one is untouchable. Opens up possibilities for both sides imo

I don't think there is a plus that would make the Leafs move Matthews/Marner....maybe, and that's a big maybe Nylander.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
I don't think there is a plus that would make the Leafs move Matthews/Marner....maybe, and that's a big maybe Nylander.

Clearly Matthews won't be moved for anything. Leafs need a big 1C since Sundin retired.

Marner I agree would be tough to get......not sure if possible. Very good player, love to have him.

Nylander IMO could be landed in a trade if it made sense to the Leafs.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Not sure how to finish that deal. I like Gardiner but he needs exp protection. You don't have a D prospect sufficient to fill it out. The F's we would want would be too expensive. '17 1st? Probably 10-20 in a weak draft class so not sure it has the value. Not interested in making it up with a bunch of lesser pieces.

If I take a roundabout approach to the expansion issue I think of getting Gardiner plus a piece that LV would likely take. That saves us from losing one of our good F's who we can't protect. That has the same effect as if Gardiner was exempt. That might be a way to squeeze the value out. Not sure who that might be from Leafs.
Tyler Bozak comes to mind. He'd fill in nicely as a top 9 C during the rest of the season and be a top 6 target for LV come June.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Defense and defense only as a return, thank you.

As you can see, defense is first priority I think most Jets fans agree. But I think Trouba could be traded for the BPA and a 2nd trade done to address our D needs.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Defense and defense only as a return, thank you.

I was referring to the expansion fodder add on to Gardiner. So the deal is Gardiner + Bozak for Trouba.
I'd have my reservations about making what could be a sideways move on the blueline when the Leafs should be adding to it instead, but I'd probably bite.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad