Proposal: Trouba for Maatta

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
I imagine it would be a youngish (24-27 years old) defensive D that is a slight downgrade but could slide in beside Morrissey on that shutdown pair & a 1st as the other team gets a better all around player.
I can see that being reasonable So ,of all the teams that can accomodate Trouba can we get a for instance?

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg
I can see that being reasonable So ,of all the teams that can accomodate Trouba can we get a for instance?
I rather like Josh Manson. Anaheim has the cap to take on the additional 2.9 or so.
It's in conference but @ least not in division.

Trouba doesn't get to live in Florida but @ least it's another Sunshine State. :)

Koized

Oct 8, 2005
Maatta's already a second pair defenseman. If he improves his skating even a touch, he'd be a great #2. He's already smart, positionally sound, can move the puck, and jump into the offense. His only big glaring weakness is he can get beat wide because of his footspeed.

Maatta is the same defenseman he was when he broke into the league, he hasn’t progressed at all. On top of that his skating is awful, he will never be a great #2.

Not every young player progresses even if they have initial success. His career will resemble Matt Carle.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
I rather like Josh Manson. Anaheim has the cap to take on the additional 2.9 or so.
It's in conference but @ least not in division.

Trouba doesn't get to live in Florida but @ least it's another Sunshine State. :)
Very good pick!Not sure Anahiem needs a Trouba and I would think that style of Dman wouldn't be Jets first choice ,but pretty good value if Anahiem can sign Trouba. I suspect Jets fans would want an add.

jay caufield forhead

May 17, 2014
not telling you
I’d say a solid number 3-4 dman. If Pens had better/healthy defense he definitely wouldn’t play on the top pair.

ok solid 3-4 d man and he doesnt play on top pair. minus letangs bone head plays the pens defense is pretty good. he is still young and developing injuries set him back a little but he could turn into a solid top pair guy

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Trouba would be pretty good here for our 2nd pairing. No idea what Trouba is worth, but I doubt he's ++ or +++ better then Maatta.

jay caufield forhead

May 17, 2014
not telling you
Maatta hasn't been the same player since his medical issues. He's not even remotely close to Trouba at this point.

wrong last year was medical issue free if your talking about his cancer or his shoulder injury that the surgery was messed up on. he looked really good for most of the year. Trouba is better right now but the biggest difference between the two is skating and it can be improved.

DeadPuckEra

Dec 19, 2014
Op, this is a solid foundation for a trade... the nay sayers here are people who clearly don’t see Maatta play.

As a Pens fan, I do think the Pens would need to add but not significantly as you mentioned they are not worlds apart, and Maataa has a great contract. Trouba is obviously looking to get max value, and he also seemingly doesn’t want to play in the Peg long term - other GM’s aren’t dumb, they know what’s going on. They know that WPG is inevitably going to have to deal him.

Maataa and 2nd or decent prospect would be fair value.

Reactions: Paul Maurice

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg
Very good pick!Not sure Anahiem needs a Trouba and I would think that style of Dman wouldn't be Jets first choice ,but pretty good value if Anahiem can sign Trouba. I suspect Jets fans would want an add.
In the post you quoted I mentioned the add would be a 1st. If the Ducks upgrade their forwards (Perry & Kesler look to be pale shadows of themselves) like they are trying with Silfverberg, Henrique & others @ prime age while their youth ages in that 1st would be mid range @ best & quite possibly late. Well worth the upgrade on D.
Meantime the Jets still have a shutdown pair that's maybe a bit weaker but more than adequate. Chevy & company have a pretty good record of finding good players even late (I credit Zinger most for that as when with the Moose he found ECHLers that turned into AHL & then top enders on the Canucks). So a small downturn that I hope the pipeline of young defenders can make up for.
BTW, my evil twin keeps thinking it'd be nice to shuffle him off to Buffalo so he could experience what fellow Overhart client O'Reilly felt like. :D :naughty:
But my better nature & want of a return that helps won out.

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
Anything the Jets get will be better than losing him for nothing at the end of the year.

Maybe hold off on accepting any Jets' offers and just wait till UFA.

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg
wrong just wrong last year was maattas first truly healthy year in last 3 he looked like a good number 3 dman all year.
So a #3 healthy for the 1st time for a top pairing D seems fair to you? :huh:
Even in the OHL he seemed hurt a lot.

Add something good. & then another good piece as there is a vast difference between the 2. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Snowman

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
In the post you quoted I mentioned the add would be a 1st. If the Ducks upgrade their forwards (Perry & Kesler look to be pale shadows of themselves) like they are trying with Silfverberg, Henrique & others @ prime age while their youth ages in that 1st would be mid range @ best & quite possibly late. Well worth the upgrade on D.
Meantime the Jets still have a shutdown pair that's maybe a bit weaker but more than adequate. Chevy & company have a pretty good record of finding good players even late (I credit Zinger most for that as when with the Moose he found ECHLers that turned into AHL & then top enders on the Canucks). So a small downturn that I hope the pipeline of young defenders can make up for.
BTW, my evil twin keeps thinking it'd be nice to shuffle him off to Buffalo so he could experience what fellow Overhart client O'Reilly felt like. :D :naughty:
But my better nature & want of a return that helps won out.
Must of missed the add,sorry! I have been trying to get Jets fans to state who they think they are gonna get for Trouba! They are quick to shoot offers down! They seem to to overlook the ' situation ', as if it doesn't matter! I think Troubas value is gonna take a hit and Chevy is in a pickle!

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg
Anything the Jets get will be better than losing him for nothing at the end of the year.

@ the end of thi season Trouba will still be RFA. Try to pay attention. :thumbd:
There are 5 pages in this thread & many more in the many other 1s trying to get Trouba for scraps. :ha:

Reactions: Riptide and Snowman

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg
Must of missed the add,sorry! I have been trying to get Jets fans to state who they think they are gonna get for Trouba! They are quick to shoot offers down! They seem to to overlook the ' situation ', as if it doesn't matter! I think Troubas value is gonna take a hit and Chevy is in a pickle!
I doubt it as Chevy is patient. You saw the return on E Kane who had tried to force his way out since he saw his 1st snowflake & realized he needed a parka in Winnipeg. Someone who's best & healthiest seasons strangely co-incided with contract years. :huh:
Trouba can be traded anytime from now until the TDL in 2020 for a similar return. Even then if the Jets are deep in a playoff race it might be best to keep him & trade those few weeks of his rights later. The good thing about Trouba is that even after a less than great negotiation he'll play his hinny off evey game as he wants to win. If the Jets win the SC with him it'll take away the sting of a lesser return. :)

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
I doubt it as Chevy is patient. You saw the return on E Kane who had tried to force his way out since he saw his 1st snowflake & realized he needed a parka in Winnipeg. Someone who's best & healthiest seasons strangely co-incided with contract years. :huh:
Trouba can be traded anytime from now until the TDL in 2020 for a similar return. Even then if the Jets are deep in a playoff race it might be best to keep him & trade those few weeks of his rights later. The good thing about Trouba is that even after a less than great negotiation he'll play his hinny off evey game as he wants to win. If the Jets win the SC with him it'll take away the sting of a lesser return. :)
I wouldn't want an unhappy player on my team! Lends itself to all kinds of potential controversy. Also, I feel his value ,all things considered ( and there are many considerations here) goes down from here on in. How many teams are seriously in the mix for him? How many of those want to negotiate with him/agent? His play could suffer,injuries are a thing! Chevy needs to move the problem child now!

tgo0

Aug 28, 2007
Winnipeg

Doesn’t sound like you’re too familiar with Troubas contract situation. He’ll be an RFA after 2018-19, UFA after 2019-20.

Unless your plan is to wait 24 months for him to hit UFA and don’t expect him to be moved and/or sign an extension by then, which I’d suspect is very risky to say the least.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
point of information; maatta is a very good defense man. his biggest problem besides having a string of injuries is that his style of play does not fit well with the style the pen's want to play. put him in a more structured system and he would be great. as has been said his skating needs work for a team that want to play fire wagon hockey. sadly because of injuries he hasn't been able to work on it during the off season..... this year he has, so i'm expecting some improvement.

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg
I wouldn't want an unhappy player on my team! Lends itself to all kinds of potential controversy. Also, I feel his value ,all things considered ( and there are many considerations here) goes down from here on in. How many teams are seriously in the mix for him? How many of those want to negotiate with him/agent? His play could suffer,injuries are a thing! Chevy needs to move the problem child now!
Wasn't complaining after the holdout 2 years ago. Caused no controversy until Overhart got involved after the season in arbitration. He has been the opposite of a problem child.
If he gets a career ending injury that could happen to any player. In this case the Jets lose only a good player or the return they could have recieved but he's lost his livelyhood while leaving millions offered by the Jets because his agent figured he could chisel out another nickle (& up his own take). Even if non career ending if his play suffers he loses the most.
Chevy takes a calculated risk but odds are in his favor since Wpg. gets a top 2 D @ lesser cost than they offered even if only for 1 year. In the meantime Trouba is comptetive so will give his all which actually should increase his trade value.

jay caufield forhead

May 17, 2014
not telling you
So a #3 healthy for the 1st time for a top pairing D seems fair to you? :huh:
Even in the OHL he seemed hurt a lot.

Add something good. & then another good piece as there is a vast difference between the 2. :rolleyes:

ok the cancer really not something of a hockey injury and the surgeon messed his shoulder surgery up very fluke injuries. ok so he played 2 years in the ohl he played 58 and 57 games out of 68 thats not injured alot.

i didnt say pens dont add but not even close to what some are acting like. Trouba is right know a number 2 d man with a history of contract issues. he seems to be trying to get out of Winnipeg. Maatta is a number 3 d man who's development been slowed down by fluke injury situations. Maatta is also signed to a great deal for 4 more years. so maybe some should look at all aspects of the trade. if maatta and trouba had same injuries and contract issues/status then yes trouba is worth more but not the case

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad