Triathlons

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
Nice one, on St. George :)

I don't know best bike split, but I would suggest having a look at the St George bike route, if available? It'd be nice to know where the little hills are.

I would NOT recommend sitting through the bike course of IM Copenhagen, it's basically flat as a pancake.

The mountains I know are pretty regular in the profile, and hence pretty boring on a trainer... Well, except perhaps Col du Glandon. That's a 1½-2 hour climb with a bit of undulation thrown in.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Nice one, on St. George :)

I don't know best bike split, but I would suggest having a look at the St George bike route, if available? It'd be nice to know where the little hills are.

I would NOT recommend sitting through the bike course of IM Copenhagen, it's basically flat as a pancake.

The mountains I know are pretty regular in the profile, and hence pretty boring on a trainer... Well, except perhaps Col du Glandon. That's a 1½-2 hour climb with a bit of undulation thrown in.

Yeah I already downloaded St. George, and the 70.3 Boulder course for my wife.... which I drunkenly signed up for last night. And drunkenly made a bet with my wife over.

Winner of the swim gets to fly first class to New Zealand. Loser sits in coach.

And haha that’s true, forgot how flat that course is.

You should check out the site anyway, it’s pretty awesome and a great race predictor.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Wife bought herself a brand new 2019 Felt IA16.

Should be here in a day or two.

Now I’m jealous and need a new bike.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Yeah, tri features in both the run and bike threads.

I did a half Ironman last year, and have another one coming up a week and a half from now.

The good thing about the minis that you're doing, is that the swim part is actually fairly long. That cuts down on some of the problems in my experience, as there are fewer less-than-skilled people on the course.

I will say this - try off-bike running (bricks) a few times before the race. Biking, then running immediately afterwards is substantially different from biking... then running. Also, think your transitions through a few times.

My first Tri was a sprint and it was a tough one because it was the first triple digit day of that year. I didn’t prep for it obviously but training for the weather is key.

Keep an eye out for the water temperature prior to the race. If it drops below a certain point you’ll need a wet suit.

Transition areas are key. Practice them and get tri shoelaces for your shoes for the bike and run portion.

Open water swims can be tough. I trained hard for mine building my endurance up but it wasn’t enough as open water saps you.

If you can afford it, many places will rent you a tri bicycle.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
@The Imp what kind of watch you use these days? I got a $200 gift card I'm going to put towards a new watch, I think. I currently have a Garmin 910xt. Looking for something that isn't a hideous and huge that I can wear daily if I wanted to.

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
I've been on the 920 XT in the past few years. I don't wear a watch when I'm not training, though. Seems to me there a a few more... civilian... looking watches out there now.

Speaking of not training, I had a bit of a boo-boo last Monday.

I have three pairs of running shoes that I use - outdoor and indoor pairs at home, and an outdoor pair at work. All Nike Structure 21. I've had a bit of issues with the ones at work, where they're (I guess) too tight over the top of the foot, leading to difficulty in keeping the front foot up. Basically, the front of my right foot will drop slightly as I run. Well, on Monday, that foot caught an errant cobblestone, and TIMBER! down I went. I landed right on my arm, and scuffed the elbow pretty good, opening ALL of the wounded area from my crash in Malaga last year. Also, I guess I bent a rib.

So, for the past 1½ week or so, whenever I try to run, either my ribs REALLY hurt, or my leg tightens up really hard, and I can't run.

Been very demotivated. BUT, yesterday I managed 7,5k on the treadmill, with marginal (managable) pain from the rib, and only very little tightness in the leg. That's progress, I guess :)

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I said 910, but I have the same one as you, the 920. It's f***ing hideous.

That sucks man. I had torn cartilage in my ribs once from when I got hit by a car on the bike and it took months to heal. I was able to ride, but had to take about 2-3 weeks off running a close to 2 months off from swimming. Sneezing was the worst.

I've got a real nasty blister from the trail run I did yesterday. It was incredibly muddy, puddles everywhere on the trails.... and I had about a 4 inch gash on the inside of my ride shoe like right where my arch was. Ran about 14 of the 16.5 miles with it like that. Not fun.

I've got the 70.3 in St. George in about 7-8 weeks and I hear you on the motivation thing, I kind of feel bad I don't feel more motivated than what I do right now with it getting so close. All I want to do is mountain bike but the trails are too snowy/muddy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad