Triathlons

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I was at my brother's birthday party, so I saw very little, sadly. But apparently they had perfect conditions? Course records for both men and women?

Yes, Lange is insane, that run :eek:

Yeah conditions were about as perfect as you could ever ask for in Kona.

Ryf set a PR on the bike by almost..... 30 minutes????? How.

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
Yeah conditions were about as perfect as you could ever ask for in Kona.

Ryf set a PR on the bike by almost..... 30 minutes????? How.

:eek:

That's probably down to the wind - what else can push it 30 minutes?!

I guess if she made it to the turning point before the wind turned, she'd have downwind both directions. But... Wow.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
:eek:

That's probably down to the wind - what else can push it 30 minutes?!

I guess if she made it to the turning point before the wind turned, she'd have downwind both directions. But... Wow.

I don’t want to say it, but I can think of one thing.... pros just don’t see significant jumps like that in their PRs. That’s just whacky.

I’m pretty sure that PR was specifically for the Kona bike course, for the record.

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
I initially went the same way, thinking doping, but 30 minutes? You can't move that much on doping, imo.

Also, consider that she's already dominating the women's field hard. She wouldn't need to dope - at least not dope harder.

She was 12 minutes faster on the bike than Lucy Charles, the overall runner up (and 2nd fastest on the bike, I think).

What happened to Andy Starykowicz? Really strong on the swim and bike, and then a 3.45 run?

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I initially went the same way, thinking doping, but 30 minutes? You can't move that much on doping, imo.

Also, consider that she's already dominating the women's field hard. She wouldn't need to dope - at least not dope harder.

She was 12 minutes faster on the bike than Lucy Charles, the overall runner up (and 2nd fastest on the bike, I think).

What happened to Andy Starykowicz? Really strong on the swim and bike, and then a 3.45 run?

Those are some good points.

I’m not sure what happened to Starky, I was rooting for him.

How about Matt Russell? What an incredible comeback story.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
@The Imp my chances of Copenhagen may have taken a hit. I think I may be doing the full in Boulder, Colorado in June and the full in Arizona in October next year. If that’s the case I don’t see how I can do 3 in a span of 5 months.

However the person who wants to do Arizona isn’t that reliable, so if he bails I may then be able to do Copenhagen.

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
I do hope you make it :) Would be an awesome couple of days!

I'm signed up for the Big Four now, so IM Cph, Kronborg 70.3, and the Copenhagen full and half marathons, all in one year :)

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I do hope you make it :) Would be an awesome couple of days!

I'm signed up for the Big Four now, so IM Cph, Kronborg 70.3, and the Copenhagen full and half marathons, all in one year :)

Yes it would and I’ve always wanted to visit your city. Like I said this guy is quite flaky so I’d say it’s 50/50 at best he commits to it. I’m trying to get him to commit by X date to register and if he doesn’t I’ll plan otherwise.

Damn, that’s going to be a busy year!

November 5th we start indoor cycling classes with the new triathlon team we joined out here. Really excited for it. Did my first true difficult interval day yesterday so when I go to class that’s not the first tough workout I’ve done in months.... went surprisingly well. I was able to hold 245 watts for 10 minutes relatively easy, all things considered.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
@The Imp I joined a new club out here and their off season training program. They have about 15 Wahoo Kickrs in their studio that you bring your bike to use.

I’m only two weeks in but can tell this off season program is going to pay huge dividends. I’ll probably stick with it until I can ride outside again which won’t be until March.

But it’s all structured power based training. I’m doing 3 days a week there and then ride 1-2 more times a week at home.

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
Yeah, I'm slowly getting used to my trainer, too.

Been a pretty tough few weeks at work, so I haven't been very consistent on the workouts, but I'm getting a bike or run in, here and there.

Fast Talk podcast: Rethinking the science of trainers – VeloNews.com

I DID get time to hear this podcast - it's very much worth a listen.

Cliff notes: Beware of trainers. They're excellent training, but draining on the motivation.

Last edited:

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Yeah, I'm slowly getting used to my trainer, too.

Been a pretty tough few weeks at work, so I haven't been very consistent on the workouts, but I'm getting a bike or run in, here and there.

Fast Talk podcast: Rethinking the science of trainers – VeloNews.com

I DID get time to hear this podcast - it's very much worth a listen.

Cliff notes: Beware of trainers. They're excellent training, but draining on the motivation.

I"ll listen to the podcast winter today.... during the winter here I don't really have any other options. I refuse to ride outside if the temp is under 30 F (-1 Celsius).

Reactions: HFBCommenter

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
@The Imp does IM Copenhagen normally sell out? If so when?

I just got a promotion at work this week. This could change things....

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
You ok after your k9 encounters, Ray?

Yeah this one that actually bit me didn’t do any major damage.

I was going downhill on snow packed and icy trails, maybe 25mph at the time.... two dogs spring uphill right at me.

I was so pissed. The first dog encounter they bit me I shrugged off, irritated but just kind of rolled my eyes at her and left.

The second one I could have easily crashed and fell down the side of a literal mountain because she didn’t leash her dogs and they don’t listen to her. I absolutely tore into her when she was like “oh don’t worry they don’t bite.”

That was the last thing I was even worried about!!!

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Just happy you're ok. And I hope you informed those people of their... lack of wisdom...

Oh believe me I did. :laugh:

I was warning another guy who was headed in the direction of the dog that bit me and he said he got bit on that trail earlier in the week and that the dog ripped a huge hole into his brand new winter Assoss bibs.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
@The Imp I signed up for the 70.3 in St. George, Utah yesterday. It’s a 2019 professional championship race, and a pretty tough race at that. The bike has I think 3500 feet of climbing and the run has like 1200 feet of gain.... and it can get really, really hot. The course is supposed to be absolutely beautiful. Also a 1 loop for both the bike and run so that’s pretty nice.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
@The Imp I think I’m going to buy a month membership to BestBikeSplit so if you want me to download any course files to upload to a smart trainer let me know.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad