Triathlons

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Heard the day after the race the DNF rate was 16%, and DNS were not added to that number.

Curious where that stands amongst other tough races over the years.

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
That sucks, Ray. Sounds like you did all you could to handle the heat and such... Well, did you water yourself down any? Fusion has this special jersey you can wear on the bike that will hold on to water - really cools you down.

The worst I ever tried was La Marmotte 2015. 7500 people at the starting line - 4600 at the finishing line. My Garmin had an average temp of 33, and a max of 47 (most of it in the sun, obviously). One guy died from heatstroke, right in the middle of Alpe D'Huez.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
That sucks, Ray. Sounds like you did all you could to handle the heat and such... Well, did you water yourself down any? Fusion has this special jersey you can wear on the bike that will hold on to water - really cools you down.

The worst I ever tried was La Marmotte 2015. 7500 people at the starting line - 4600 at the finishing line. My Garmin had an average temp of 33, and a max of 47 (most of it in the sun, obviously). One guy died from heatstroke, right in the middle of Alpe D'Huez.

I did, I got ice at every station and was using sponge some kind spectators had in a frozen pool on the run course. I trained in heat that was pretty comparable to what we had on race day, too. Frustrating.

I'll have to check that out, I have a friend who has some shorts by them that he absolutely loves. Won't train in anything else.

Wow.... that's nuts.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
@The Imp how things going with your coach?

I’m switching to a new one. My old coach blamed me for over training and over biking for a failed race. Both are factually incorrect. In fact I missed and cut a few workouts short due to fatigue during the last 30-45 days leading up to the race, so I don’t know where he’s getting that data from.

Also said my HR was too high for the 3 segments he set me up for on bike. My average HR was lower than the floor he mentioned for each segment. So again, no idea wth he’s talking about.

Love the group we met with last night, and plan on joining there. Just waiting on an email back on a couples rate since my wife FINALLY wants to give triathlon a try. :hyper: :yo:

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
I... don't know, tbh. On one hand it's nice to have someone to spar with, on the other hand, 99 % of what he does is set the training schedule week-to-week. And it only ever changes marginally. While I've gotten better at running long, I've also gotten really slow. At first I was sure I'd re-up for next year. Now... probably not (he also moved away this summer).

In other news, I signed up for IM Copenhagen in 2019! You coming, Ray? Got Copenhagen and 70.3 in Elsinore in a package deal :)

Reactions: RayP

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I... don't know, tbh. On one hand it's nice to have someone to spar with, on the other hand, 99 % of what he does is set the training schedule week-to-week. And it only ever changes marginally. While I've gotten better at running long, I've also gotten really slow. At first I was sure I'd re-up for next year. Now... probably not (he also moved away this summer).

In other news, I signed up for IM Copenhagen in 2019! You coming, Ray? Got Copenhagen and 70.3 in Elsinore in a package deal :)

Believe it or not I had some friends express some interest in IM Copenhagen.... and it’s a city I’ve always really wanted to visit.

I got my wife a coach and she wants to do a half next June, so I’ll have to see if we could arrange it date wise first and go from there. I think Copenhagen is in August?

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Damn.... I don’t think this group would ever actually do it, tbh.

An August race is perfect because training for it doesn’t cut into ski season.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Yes indeed. August 18th next year :)

I can put up one, maybe two guests in my apartment, about 5 km from the swim start.

I ran this by the wife, it would just be the two of us, and she didn’t say no.... both to the race, and to potentially staying with you.

We’ve always wanted to visit your awesome looking city.

The flights from here to there aren’t too bad. Could fly to NYC, stay there a night, and then only ~8 hours direct from there to CPH....

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
I've raced or observed it since 2013, except for this year, where I only have reports.

Somewhere between 20-25 degrees Celcius, pretty low humidity. Dry, chance of the odd shower (last year we had some brief intense showers in the afternoon. Wind will usually be quite calm.

All told, close to optimal, both for racers and spectators. And I have my tri-club your wifey can hang out with, from start to finish, if she'd like.

KMD Ironman Copenhagen 2018

Quite a few pics from this year's tri-club party during the race. It's a full-day thing, from the swim start, through an extended brunch during the bike part, to a long afternoon/evening on the run. It's great fun, and a pretty good, big group.

Last edited:

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
That’s sounds awesome.... I’m going to look more into it, but I think I’m sold. Just need to sell the wife 100% who I think seems like she really wants to do it. Well go, no do the race.

BTW, check out my Strava segment from the trail race I did today. Holy crap....

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
holy crap indeed! -200m elevation in 1k? Yowza!

Yeah, it was just as rough going down too. I don't think I ran more than 40% going back downhill because of how steep and how loose the dirt was. There was maybe 4-5 sections that lasted 20-30 meters I could really get a good stride and run. Most of it was just like a stutter step down. Just hell on the quads.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
@The Imp I’d say right now we are up to a 75% chance I come out to your homeland.... I said I’d never do another full after Whistler this year, but I can’t retire from that distance on a DNF.

Talked more about it with the wife last night. She’s in. Now it’s just making it work logistic, time off work, and all that crap.

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
Well if you can swing it, you'll have a place to stay, and the missus will have a crew of 15-20 people to follow all day, while cheering. I do hope you can make it work :)

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
So I'm now officially committed. Bought a home trainer (less spinning this season!), and re-upped with the coach for another year.

Which trainer?

My wife got a coach, started this week, and she’s going do the 70.3 in Boulder, Colorado. She’s yet to do a tri before, so pretty big news in our household. :yo:

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
After way too little research, I ended up with a TACX Flux.

Very nice! You'll be a real power couple soon :)

Any news on coming to IM Cph?

Can’t go wrong with Tacx.

Not yet, we still need to sit down and go over our budget for 2019. Just been so busy lately so haven’t done that yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad