Triathlons

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Has anyone here ever raced in a triathlon? There is a mini one right buy my house in September that I am thinking about signing up for. Really short one, but should be a good starting point. The sprint triathlons dont seem to be too bad; about a half mile swim, 12.5 mile bike ride and a 3.1 mile run. They seem pretty doable with some training. The one in September is only a 1/4 mile swim, 12 mile bike ride, and a 2 mile run. Doesnt seem that bad and should be a good starting point.

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
Yeah, tri features in both the run and bike threads.

I did a half Ironman last year, and have another one coming up a week and a half from now.

The good thing about the minis that you're doing, is that the swim part is actually fairly long. That cuts down on some of the problems in my experience, as there are fewer less-than-skilled people on the course.

I will say this - try off-bike running (bricks) a few times before the race. Biking, then running immediately afterwards is substantially different from biking... then running. Also, think your transitions through a few times.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
More than doable. I'm fairly fit, but not really much of a runner these days due to my weight at around 105-110kg. I got through one of those short triathlon's without that much preparation.

As The Imp points out - practicing a couple of times the transition between the different events is a good idea. Personally I struggled the most between swimming and cycling. It didn't feel like I was that tired during the swim, but as I got up from the water I clearly was. The good thing about cycling is that you can get away with it too some extent, but there is no doubt that I lost a lot of time trying to get going on the bike after the swim. Takes a bit of practice I guess. Same when going from cycling to running, but at that point I was so shot anyway it didn't matter much.

So watch the pace. It seemed to me that every beginner went too fast early on. Just cycling I am now experienced enough to "feel" how far I can push myself knowing the distance I'm going. Same with running. Doing a triathlon I clearly went too fast early on - even if it felt like I was swimming at 60-70% (I just followed the pack).

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
I'm competing in kronborg 70.3 tomorrow, where the run route is around Kronborg castle in Elsinore, the castle that Hamlet takes place in.

I hope to repeat last year's 1/2 IM time, at 5:19. Will post race report.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Good luck Imp!

Tomorrow marks day 1 of my official training for the Augusta 70.3. Then after that I'm going to try and convince the woman into letting me sign up for the 70.3 in Puerto Rico next March for a birthday weekend sort of thing for me.

Assuming all that goes well, I'll then try and aim for a full in the fall of 2016. One step at a time, though.

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
Done and dusted. This was my second half iron man, and I beat my previous time by a minute or so, at 5:18.

The prep was all good. Got there early, even though it was a 7 am start, so had time to set everything up just so. Funny rules abounded - no leaving the helmet on the bike (had to be in the bike bag), and you were not allowed to run with your biking shoes in your hand, either. Aaaanyway.

The swim was decidedly poor. The route was complicated, basically a star shaped route. The water was cool, at 15 degrees celcius. I had trouble with calming down, and finding my crawl mojo. I breast-stroked about half the 1st lap, then calmed down and crawled with just my arms on the 2nd lap. Swim time of 46.48 minutes (about 6 over what I'd set out for). Position: 1090 overall, out of 1500

T1 was a hassle. The run from the swim to the bike bags was about 400m. Then there was another 500m run after the change tent to the bikes. Not ideal. Anyway, due to the abovementioned rules, I had pre-mounted my shoes on my bike. That's the first time I've tried to get my shoes on while on the bike, and it was quite difficult. The shoes didn't really feel right until after 5k.

After I had properly established myself on the bike, I began overtaking. A lot. Biking is my strongest discipline, and it really showed. I had a good bike ride, except the fact that my fitter tilted my aerobars back about 10 degrees, meaning that the energy drink in my bottle was in the back of the bottle, and my straw is at the front. Needless to say, I had less energy drink available than I had imagined. I had four isogels though, and felt ok for energy on the bike. Managed a 2:27,52 split, for an average speed of 36,52 kph. Position: 394 of 1500 (yes, I moved up 600 spots overall on the bike :nod: ).

T2 was sort of ok, it took me a few tries to get the shoe laces done up properly, but I managed eventually.

The run was... challenging. It was about 16 degrees Celcius and partly cloudy, and not really windy, which was ok for the run. But, the lack of fluid, and the consequent concentration of sugar in my stomach began to show itself about 8 k in. Eventually, I had to... take a seat for a few minutes... to try to solve that issue, and it helped with the pain, but my energy level began to drop. I walked a total of three times, about 2-300 meters each time, but then my sister in law passed me (she started 45 min after me, and was on her first run loop), so I dug deep and ran behind her for a bit, began feeling a bit better, and ended up with a run time of 1.53. Final position: 510 out of 1500.

I learned a few things I need to do differently during the Copenhagen IM in August, but overall I'm fairly satisfied with my race.

Bonus info: When I got my bike back after the race, the rear wheel was flat. It didn't feel flat during the race, so it must've happened at the dismount line, or as they were transporting it back.

Last edited:

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
I love the P2. It takes everything I put into it, and it's really comfortable. But stay wise on geometry.

The present S3 and R3 geometries are not all that racy, which may be a good thing, depending on your core strength/build. However, in the new S5 they lowered the front end substantially, for a more aero, but also more demanding geometry.

Long story short, try before you buy.

Clarkington III

Rebuild? Refresh?
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
I did a sprint in Honolulu for my first one in May. What a place to start.

I am looking at doing an Olympic in Northern CA in September for an added challenge.

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
Yes. It's right behind me, so absolutely no issue. I can do that while keeping the other arm on the pad.

Dismounting the bike without hitting the bottle(s) with my leg, however, is another issue entirely. I have to remember to lean the bike right over.

jorbjorb

hello.
Dec 28, 2010
Yes. It's right behind me, so absolutely no issue. I can do that while keeping the other arm on the pad.

Dismounting the bike without hitting the bottle(s) with my leg, however, is another issue entirely. I have to remember to lean the bike right over.

that's awesome man.
mad props to you for doing this

Chairman Mallard

Mar 9, 2007
Santa Rosa
I did a sprint in Honolulu for my first one in May. What a place to start.

I am looking at doing an Olympic in Northern CA in September for an added challenge.

That's awesome. I'm trying to work towards my first sprint here pretty quick and have been doing one brick bike/run workout of 20k 5k per week the last few weeks on top of the separate bike and run training. I need to implement some swimming into my workouts but need to find a pool or somewhere to swim.

I also need to get a road bike as I can't really break 15-16 mph ave over 15 miles on my hardtail mtn bike with knobbies on it but I'm looking at buying a nice road bike in the near future. I'm probably just going to get a normal road bike or aero bike for now as I'd like to also go for longer rides that may climb hills and I'm not at IM or 1/2 IM level so I'm not gonna worry about a Tri bike right now which is why I was looking at the Cervelo R3 or S3.

My long term goal is to finish a 70.3 like The Imp has done a few times but I'm a ways away from that right now. Still at 205 lbs on a 5'8 frame so that's gotta get down to 155-160 before I can handle that kinda distance but that's a helluva lot better than the 350 I was:laugh:

Last edited:

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
That's awesome. I'm trying to work towards my first sprint here pretty quick and have been doing one brick bike/run workout of 20k 5k per week the last few weeks on top of the separate bike and run training. I need to implement some swimming into my workouts but need to find a pool or somewhere to swim.

I also need to get a road bike as I can't really break 15-16 mph ave over 15 miles on my hardtail mtn bike with knobbies on it but I'm looking at buying a nice road bike in the near future. I'm probably just going to get a normal road bike or aero bike for now as I'd like to also go for longer rides that may climb hills and I'm not at IM or 1/2 IM level so I'm not gonna worry about a Tri bike right now which is why I was looking at the Cervelo R3 or S3.

My long term goal is to finish a 70.3 like The Imp has done a few times but I'm a ways away from that right now. Still at 205 lbs on a 5'8 frame so that's gotta get down to 155-160 before I can handle that kinda distance but that's a helluva lot better than the 350 I was:laugh:

You can buy some cheap tri bars to clip onto a road bike, I want to say no more than like $20. That's what I'm doing for the tri I'm training for... although I've been so comfortable without them, I might not even add them when it's time.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Have the woman convinced and down for me signing up for a 70.3 in Puerto Rico next March, with the race being 3 days before my bday. That would be awesome, just need to cross my fingers that it doesn't sell out between now and when I can realistically drop the $400 down on the entry fee (wedding is just a few months away, so all our money has gone towards that and the honeymoon).

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
that's early for a 70.3. How would you maintain your OW swimming over winter? Or is that a non-issue for Atlanta?

There won't be much, if any OW swimming. But there are a lot of swim clubs I could join out here at some local pools.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Officially signed up for the 70.3 in San Juan, PR next March. We mentioned we were on the fence at dinner last night with the mother in law, but that we were considering it just hadn't pulled the trigger yet. She threw her credit card at us and said you better sign up, because we're using that as an excuse to piggyback on your trip and go to Puerto Rico. Hooray for free race registrations! :nod:

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
That's a pretty decent mother-in-law, right there :)

Let's just say both of my in laws do very, very well financially. And with enough planting of the seed, I should he able to exploit this again. Definitely in Miami for sure, that's their favorite city ever.

I think after the San Juan 70.3, that if that goes well I'm going to try for a full in October or November of 2016.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Well my idea of entering the triathlon just went out the window. Broke my sachpoid bone and am in a cast up past my elbow so I can't do anything. Sucks so much

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
Ironman Copenhagen is a week away... And I'm having x-rays done on my hip tomorrow. Crashed on the race bike three weeks ago, and I still can't run without substantial and increasing pain. Haven't really been able to run for a month, so let's say my prep has been less than ideal.

I HAVE managed to swim the course twice, both times early in the morning, and that has gone really well. I can crawl it, with no legs, about five minutes faster than my race plan. There will be more traffic on race day, but also more adrenaline, so... I'm thinking 1 hour 25 minutes or so.

The bike I feel really good about. I'm looking at approx 5 hours 10 I think. The original plan was for closer to five hours, but after riding the route last weekend, I dunno. It's more complicated, and the tarmac is much rougher, than I had imagined.

The run will suck. No doubt. I'll walk the thing if it comes to that - I should have the time to make it before cut-off.

Funny bit is, I can swim and bike with no issues, but I absolutely cannot run, or walk up stairs, as it stands. I still have a week, though, and a lot of chiropractor and physio appointments yet to go.

Weather forecast for the next week is rock stable high pressure weather, and a high of 26 C on Sunday, sunny, and essentially no wind. A bit on the warm side, otherwise it's just perfect.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Good luck Imp, keep me posted. How has your stretching and/or foam rolling routine been throughout your training in general?

Mine could have been better to date, especially since I know for a fact every week that Monday is a recovery day. Definitely should have been doing more yoga than I have been to date.

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
Had x-rays done yesterday (precautionary mostly), and saw the chiro. She had my lie on my side, planted her elbow on some of the muscles in my hip, then had me pull my knee up to my chest. Repeatedly.

That is the first time I've ever called a woman a five letter word that rhymes with witch, but begins with a b. Probably the most painful thing I have ever experienced. BUT, my hip is better today. Not good, but better. And she didn't seem to mind much.

Foam rolling... eh... Not enough. But then I haven't had a decent run for close to a month now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad