Value of: Trevor Zegras this offseason

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Are you not going to explain why the Ducks would care for Gustavsson? His numbers were comparable to Dostal’s while being on a much better team.
They may not be. He certainly has value to a team looking to take a chance on one of the most technically talented goalies in the league who has a recent vezina-caliber season tho. Either way, I’m framing it more off of the Dach trade than anything.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
They may not be. He certainly has value to a team looking to take a chance on one of the most technically talented goalies in the league who has a recent vezina-caliber season tho. Either way, I’m framing it more off of the Dach trade than anything.
Zegras is much more proven then Dach was at the time of the trade

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
Zegras is much more proven then Dach was at the time of the trade
Yeah I tend to agree, at least offensively. I don’t know that he’ll be valued much more though. Assuming health, I’d rather add Dach to my team than Zegras. Ones a 6’4 two way center and the other is a highly skilled point produucer who struggles defensively.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
Yeah I think if the Ducks want to trade him that’s close to what they’d get.

Drysdale was worth a blue chip recently drafted 5oa player. And just last off-season Zegras was worth twice the amount on his 2nd contract that Drysdale was. So why would Zegras be worth less in a trade?

Put another way, you think that offer gets you Gauthier? Because if it doesn't, then it's even less likely to land you Zegras.

TommyDangles

Jun 18, 2021
Drysdale was worth a blue chip recently drafted 5oa player. And just last off-season Zegras was worth twice the amount on his 2nd contract that Drysdale was. So why would Zegras be worth less in a trade?

Put another way, you think that offer gets you Gauthier? Because if it doesn't, then it's even less likely to land you Zegras.
A blue chip recently drafted 5oa player who refused to sign with the team that drafted him. That is the only reason why he got traded.

Wonderful Tacos

Nov 29, 2023

Not disagreeing that zegras probably doesnt fetch more (even though tbh i dont really want him on my favorite team) but i think ducks got excess value for drysdale bc the flyers were in a pinch with gauthier and the ducks were in the right place at the right time to take advantage.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
lol I would love to know a comparable to this. A 22 year old with 2 60+ point seasons traded for a mid first. I’ll wait.
It’s not as black and white as you’re making it out to be. He’s coming off a bad year and isn’t a good defensive player.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
It’s very likely the lowest his value will ever be.

The only way he’s moved IMO is if a young but established top 4D or physical top 6 player becomes available and Anaheim thinks he may of stagnated

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
It’s not as black and white as you’re making it out to be. He’s coming off a bad year and isn’t a good defensive player.

Yep 2 years worth of data vs 9 games worth of data

And anyone that watched zegeas this year could see the growth in his game…. People reaching to try to get him cheap… it ain’t a thing

And lol at dach value being anything close to zegras at the time of his trade

After coming back from injury, zegras had 8 points in 11 games and was a +4…. And made the duck team competitive…. But I assume you’d rather talk about the injury/missed camp part of the season to lower his value in your eyes

Last edited:

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
Not disagreeing that zegras probably doesnt fetch more (even though tbh i dont really want him on my favorite team) but i think ducks got excess value for drysdale bc the flyers were in a pinch with gauthier and the ducks were in the right place at the right time to take advantage.

Maybe, but it also wasn't a case where he only would sign with the Ducks. Wasn't the list supposedly 20+ teams? At that point you're pretty much bidding against the entire league.

Even if you approach it from the other side, you think if Zegras becomes available, there aren't quite a few teams who would offer something more than a mid 1st and a goalie they don't necessarily need? The Ducks already have 7 picks in the first three rounds this year, and a pretty stacked farm system, a mid 1st isn't likely to make them jump out of their seat.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
He is coming off an injured year. He played fine when he was on the ice. The fact that you are saying otherwise means it’s clear you didn’t actually watch him play.

Also this narrative he is bad defensively is just exhausting at this point. He is fine defensively. He got benched one time because he made some bad passes. He isn’t bad defensively.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
Yep 2 years worth of data vs 9 games worth of data

And anyone that watched zegeas this year could see the growth in his game…. People reaching to try to get him cheap… it ain’t a thing

And lol at dach value being anything close to zegras at the time of his trade

After coming back from injury, zegras had 8 points in 11 games and was a +4…. And made the duck team competitive…. But I assume you’d rather talk about the injury/missed camp part of the season to lower his value in your eyes
There’s really no other trade to go off of. I agree his value may be slightly higher than Dach’s when the trade happened, but not miles more. I think you’re overvaluing how the league perceives the player. If he was a no-doubt franchise cornerstone, he would’ve been locked up long term.
He is coming off an injured year. He played fine when he was on the ice. The fact that you are saying otherwise means it’s clear you didn’t actually watch him play.

Also this narrative he is bad defensively is just exhausting at this point. He is fine defensively. He got benched one time because he made some bad passes. He isn’t bad defensively.
I’ve been to 10+ ducks games the last 3 years that he’s played in. He’s a below average defensive player in the NHL. He makes poor reads and tries to do too much. It’s fine, but it’s the reality. I’m still unsure if he should really play down the middle or not.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
There’s really no other trade to go off of. I agree his value may be slightly higher than Dach’s when the trade happened, but not miles more. I think you’re overvaluing how the league perceives the player. If he was a no-doubt franchise cornerstone, he would’ve been locked up long term.

I’ve been to 10+ ducks games the last e3 years that he’s played in. He’s a below average defensive player in the NHL.
He is 22. I’ll take a 22 year old with the offensive potential that he has that needs to get better defensively all day over a mid 1st. Just like every team in the NHL.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
He is 22. I’ll take a 22 year old with the offensive potential that he has that needs to get better defensively all day over a mid 1st. Just like every team in the NHL.
I like the player and would keep him over 13 + Gus. I was simply stating that he doesn’t get tons more than that if he was available. If you can find a better comparable trade I’d love to see it. I just don’t see him getting a top 10 pick.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018

You know there’s like 5 different things wrong with this reasoning right?

Reactions: Prairie Habs

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I like the player and would keep him over 13 + Gus. I was simply stating that he doesn’t get tons more than that if he was available. If you can find a better comparable trade I’d love to see it. I just don’t see him getting a top 10 pick.
then you simply don’t see him being traded, and your post is pointless

You arnt going to find a comparable becuase teams generally don’t move back to back 60 point centers under the age of 22

And if your saving grace is “he had a bad season or he’s bad defensively” you are just being lazy…. Cause no one watching Anaheim was upset with his game and everyone watching noticed him taking steps in the right direction regarding maturity and defense.

And if his value is based off this season, why would we trade him when he’s signed for next year…. Like it’s just dumb logic across the board…. Unless a team is paying a premium(which 13th + gus isn’t)

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
then you simply don’t see him being traded, and your post is pointless

You arnt going to find a comparable becuase teams generally don’t move back to back 60 point centers under the age of 22

And if your saving grace is “he had a bad season or he’s bad defensively” you are just being lazy…. Cause no one watching Anaheim was upset with his game and everyone watching noticed him taking steps in the right direction regarding maturity and defense.

And if his value is based off this season, why would we trade him when he’s signed for next year…. Like it’s just dumb logic across the board…. Unless a team is paying a premium(which 13th + gus isn’t)
Yeah so, this thread is a “value of Trevor Zegras” thread. I posted what I think his value is, this offseason, given all of his production and pedigree up to this point and used the best comparable I could find. I never said they should trade him, was just adding the conversation around his value, which I guess is pointless these days.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Yeah so, this thread is a “value of Trevor Zegras” thread. I posted what I think his value is, this offseason, given all of his production and pedigree up to this point and used the best comparable I could find. I never said they should trade him, was just adding the conversation around his value, which I guess is pointless these days.
I would say dach is a horrible comparable at the time of the trade … he had less points in 3 seasons combined than zegras had averaged in his 2

There’s a reason you can’t find a good comparable, it’s because those players don’t get moved often…. Likely because the ask is too much

Reactions: Dr Johnny Fever

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
The closest comparable is probably Seguin. Perceived issues. High upside. Early success.

Edit: should Caveat that Seguins issues were off ice that Z has not had.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gliff

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
You know there’s like 5 different things wrong with this reasoning right?

They're comparable in age and draft status. They both were RFA at the same time. One guy had the ability to negotiate twice as much money from the same team. Drysdale by the time of the trade had done nothing to suggest that he had closed that gap.

Surely you're not suggesting that if it had been Gauthier for Zegras, the Ducks would have had to add even more than they did with Drysdale? Hell if anything I would think the add would have gone the other way in that scenario.

I bet even now, it'd cost you more to trade for Zegras than it would to get Gauthier from the Ducks, and I don't think they'd give you Gauthier for the 13th and Gus either. If they did, Verbeek should be fired on the spot.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
Might not change his detractors' opinions, but it has now come to light that his 12 games at the start of the year he was actually playing hurt, with the same type of LBI that sidelined Couture.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad