Value of: Trevor Zegras this offseason

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
What did you think would happen when you came to this forum and started diminishing Zegras based on your own uninformed delusions? You have a lot of holes in your game, too.

Positive and negative comments are made about every player on the trade boards, I don’t know why this would be a different case. Any struggling and injured player is going to carry enough negatives that translates to not getting some astronomical package that you can sit back and refuse.

There’s simply going to be buyer side concerns that cap out what you can get for him. Like I said, a contender is not going to trade for him because he won’t be able to fill a role on a contender, and a rebuilder isn’t handing over a perfect bluechipper without other issues to build with him. I don’t see a counter to that. But I also don’t get the sense you want to move him at all, so who cares, keep him.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Yes and I'm just letting you know your arguments are very weak, based entirely on a very small sample of stats and with zero context. You clearly haven't watched the player or followed his season enough to have a clue what value he would have to any team. Sometimes people don't realize that they actually don't have anything to offer to the discussion.

He's a 23 year old center with 150 points in 208 career games, but sure continue shit posting about how he has 5 goals.

Any GM is going to ask why Zegras has 5 goals and 12 points in 28 games in a trade or discussion and ask their own staff if there’s risk. The answer is going to be some combination of the player, injury and whatever Anaheim is doing that can be done differently. That’s going to impact what a team is willing to pay.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Very few players are capable of leading a rebuilding team to take the next step, and those players cost significantly more than what Ducks would want for Zegras. Teams with significantly better players haven't taken that next step yet.

On a contender (or probably even team that's looking to take the next step), Zegras isn't a 1st line C (yet?). He's either a top line complimentary winger or (more likely) a 2C.

This season has been rough because of the injuries, missing training camp, and breaking the bad habits he learned the last couple of years under Eakins to become a more complete player. While he may never get any Selke votes, his defense has gotten a lot better. He should be a very solid player going forward and would help any team he'd play on. That doesn't mean teams should pay what the Ducks would ask for him, but Anaheim won't also give him away for a bunch of lesser pieces.

And like I said, Mittelstadt for Byram covers a 2C for D scenario.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
And like I said, Mittelstadt for Byram covers a 2C for D scenario.
So who is byram in this scenario? And just for the record mittlestadt has never put up points higher than zegras has in his first 2 seasons... i dont see why we would sell zegras as a 2c price point, when he has top line upside still.

And you lazily mentioned zegras 5 goals, but i dont see how mittlestadt is even comparable to zegras... zegras is already a 2x 20 goal 60 point guy, mittlestadt hasnt got either of those yet.

really doesnt make sense for us.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Any GM is going to ask why Zegras has 5 goals and 12 points in 28 games in a trade or discussion and ask their own staff if there’s risk. The answer is going to be some combination of the player, injury and whatever Anaheim is doing that can be done differently. That’s going to impact what a team is willing to pay.
I think most teams asking about zegras know enough about him, and seen enough at the NHL level that they arnt very concerned about a 12 points in 27 games.

And it would be weird to think anaheim would sell him at the 12 point/28 game rate?

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Zegras might be the only player that so many people have very strong opinions on while never actually watching him play. maybe if you dont watch a player, stop acting like you have the correct opinion about said player

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
Any GM would actually do their homework unlike you and could easily see what happened this year and wouldn’t be worried in the slightest. Don’t let your narrative you are pushing get in the way of actually scouting the player you are quick to diminish.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Any GM would actually do their homework unlike you and could easily see what happened this year and wouldn’t be worried in the slightest. Don’t let your narrative you are pushing get in the way of actually scouting the player you are quick to diminish.
Nope. Context doesn't matter once the prevailing opinion forms.

Same shit happened with Meier.

Outside a stretch where he was skating at 80% of his normal speed, he's been his normal 70+ point, 35 goal self. But nobody bothers to see the context

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Drouin
19YR old season: 32 points in 70 games
20YR old season: 10 points in 21 games
21YR old season: 53 points in 73 games
22YR old season: 46 points in 77 games
23YR old season: 53 points in 81 games

Zegras
19YR old season: 13 points in 24 games
20YR old season: 61 points in 75 games
21YR old season: 65 points in 81 games
22YR old season: 12 points in 28 games
23YR old season: ???????????

Not much of a difference in production when you consider scoring is higher now.

Zegras was better in his 20YR old season but Drouin was doing better at the same age as Zegras is now, which obviously matters more when considering what Zegras' trade value would be if he were to be traded this off-season.

I think Duck fans would be disappointed in seeing what Zegras returns should he be dealt (which he shouldn't be). NHL GMs are an old school bunch. Fans get excited Zegras' fancy stick tricks and his attempts at making the highlight reel, while they get turned off at that stuff.

Ducks would be smarter to hold onto him and hope that he not only rebounds but takes a big step forward in production.
Keep on embarassing yourself. It must suck how Ottawa can never do anything except cling on to remain.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

A better question might be what you’re actually looking for in a trade for Trevor Zegras and think is reasonable on the market… all well and good to say this and that isn’t enough. But what’s the ask? If we actually agree that it’s better off for the Ducks to keep him, I just keep him…

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
I really don’t see Anaheim dealing zegras. You’d be dealing him for Pennie’s. Keep him and hope he can bounce back and then see what he can get, because right now a soft 60 point winger who’s struggling isn’t getting much

I’ve said it a couple of times but this guys career is eerily similar to the Nylander

Nylander also had an abysmal season in 18-19 after the holdout vs injury for zegras. Leafs fans wanted to do a nylander for pesche swap and I think people wanted us to add to it.

but to at least answer the OP’s question, I think he’d get maybe a first + something minor. No teams trading 2 firsts or a blue chip for him rn.
In terms of players, I’d think a top 4 dman or a swap for another struggling young guy

LuckyDucky

Mar 18, 2015
A better question might be what you’re actually looking for in a trade for Trevor Zegras and think is reasonable on the market… all well and good to say this and that isn’t enough. But what’s the ask? If we actually agree that it’s better off for the Ducks to keep him, I just keep him…
That’s the issue. There is no ask. Every, single, one of these proposals/thread is created by a fan of a team other than the Ducks. I love that you add “reasonable market” as well. Why don’t you just say, “let’s make this more subjective, and if it doesn’t fit my opinion, then it’s unreasonable.”

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

Six points in his last six games, including this beauty assist. Took a couple games to get his legs under him coming back from the broken ankle, and since then has easily been the team's most dangerous player.

Some massive false narratives being pushed here over what amounts one 12 game cold streak at the start of his season.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

Six points in his last six games, including this beauty assist. Took a couple games to get his legs under him coming back from the broken ankle, and since then has easily been the team's most dangerous player.

Some massive false narratives being pushed here over what amounts one 12 game cold streak at the start of his season.

Not even the points to me, tho that’ll shut most posters up…. But it’s his improvements in the dzone and in the neutral zone, and the fact that he’s generating a lot of scoring chances on a nightly basis for him and his teammates.

He’s been our best player since return from injury, and I don’t think it’s even debatable

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Not even the points to me, tho that’ll shut most posters up…. But it’s his improvements in the dzone and in the neutral zone, and the fact that he’s generating a lot of scoring chances on a nightly basis for him and his teammates.

He’s been our best player since return from injury, and I don’t think it’s even debatable
But he got benched 6 months ago for a bad pass. Obviously he is lazy and bad defensively!!!

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

Haha yeah it's clear that he's playing great right now, to those actually watching. Like you said, the production just shuts down the false narratives of those who definitely are not watching.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Should the Leafs have traded Nylander for pennies on the dollar after his 27 points in 54 games after his hold out?

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Should the Leafs have traded Nylander for pennies on the dollar after his 27 points in 54 games after his hold out?
It’s funny how similar their nhl stats have been

Nylander Zegras
19: 13 in 22 / 13 in 24
20: 61 in 81 / 61 in 75
21: 61 in 82 / 65 in 81
22: 27 in 54 / 13 in 28

162 in 239 vs 152 in 208

Zegras still has 2 more games to get to ppg this year

Reactions: lwvs84

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
It’s funny how similar their nhl stats have been

Nylander Zegras
19: 13 in 22 / 13 in 24
20: 61 in 81 / 61 in 75
21: 61 in 82 / 65 in 81
22: 27 in 54 / 13 in 28

162 in 239 vs 152 in 208

Zegras still has 2 more games to get to ppg this year

Nylander (0.68 ppg) vs Zegras (0.73) in their u22 seasons, a very close comparable, and a good example of why you don't rush to move those kinds of talented young players.

Reactions: Vipers31 and lwvs84

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

If the return was sufficient they could have moved him for anyone. But they held on and Anaheim could do the same, seems pretty straight forward.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad