Value of: Trevor Zegras this offseason

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
If the return was sufficient they could have moved him for anyone. But they held on and Anaheim could do the same, seems pretty straight forward.
Cept when you somewhat imply he has value based on his 5 goal season…. At that point you are just trying to buy low…. Which would not = a sufficient trade for Anaheim.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
There is a possibility of a trade to the Habs for our 1st. But that would concern me in that Anaheim wants to build as quickly as the Habs, so the trade itself would bring a couple of flags. Why? Any 5-6 pick needs a few years down the line. Is Anaheim concerned about future demands?

What will NOT happen is a trade for Ghule.

Habs do have a few other lesser quality trade possibilities with our 4 1sts in the next two years,

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Cept when you somewhat imply he has value based on his 5 goal season…. At that point you are just trying to buy low…. Which would not = a sufficient trade for Anaheim.

I’m saying he’s a distressed asset that is going to drive down what another team is going to give in a hypothetical trade. So gauging the fact that no one seems to be tripping over themselves to send you a monster Zegras trade package, Anaheim could just keep the guy. Seller doesn’t want to see, buyers are just browsing and don’t want to buy. Easy enough.

Rooch

Jul 22, 2021
I’m saying he’s a distressed asset that is going to drive down what another team is going to give in a hypothetical trade. So gauging the fact that no one seems to be tripping over themselves to send you a monster Zegras trade package, Anaheim could just keep the guy. Seller doesn’t want to see, buyers are just browsing and don’t want to buy. Easy enough.
A home with a cracked foundation is "a distressed asset". A car with a busted engine block is "a distressed asset". A 23-year-old with over 150 career points (on a terrible team) and a devilishly creative style of play is NOT a distressed asset, not by a longshot, no matter how many times you say it in this thread.

Yesterday you were claiming he Zegras can't create offense. Did you see the pass that set up Vatrano's goal last night? I mean, what is your purpose here? You haven't proposed anything. You haven't supported your claims with facts. You're trolling.

Last edited:

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
No matter how many bows you wrap Zegras in, there is a concern.

A 60-80 point Zegras has enormous value to the point that he's worth so much, teams can't afford him. On the other hand, right now, we're at the other side of the scale were a team that is ready to pay a high price would have concerns.

That is why if Anaheim is going to take a less then huge return, it would have red flags as to "why".

Reactions: Nevins

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
There is a possibility of a trade to the Habs for our 1st. But that would concern me in that Anaheim wants to build as quickly as the Habs, so the trade itself would bring a couple of flags. Why? Any 5-6 pick needs a few years down the line. Is Anaheim concerned about future demands?

What will NOT happen is a trade for Ghule.

Habs do have a few other lesser quality trade possibilities with our 4 1sts in the next two years,
that's good, no Ducks fan is asking for Ghule. a LHD is the last thing we need. so kind of you to offer a lesser quality pieces tho like bunch of picks that we also dont need.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
that's good, no Ducks fan is asking for Ghule. a LHD is the last thing we need. so kind of you to offer a lesser quality pieces tho like bunch of picks that we also dont need.
Top 5-6 pick is not a "lesser" pick. It's likely generate a top 2 defenseman.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
Top 5-6 pick is not a "lesser" pick. It's likely generate a top 2 defenseman.

The Ducks already have their own pick in that range. Not that another pick isn't nice, but even if they pick two blue chip dmen, and as you presume they get two top pairing guys out of it, that means guys like Mintyukov and Zellweger are now topping out as 2nd or 3rd pairing guys? Their other good D prospects are topping out as 3rd pairing players, or buried in the minors?

At some point there's so many guys on D that they would have to trade one for a skilled forward. You know, like Zegras. So why do that in the first place?

The Ducks aren't a bad team that has a barren system in desperate need of restocking, they have one of the best pipelines, have 7 picks in the first 70-80 this year, and already have numerous young blue chippers already in the NHL. In all likelihood next year's D looks to have 4 first or second year guys playing regularly. They project to have Carlsson, Zegras, McTavish, Terry, and Gauthier in scoring roles. They're likely adding another major piece this draft. You really think they should still be in teardown mode of accumulating picks?

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
It’s funny how similar their nhl stats have been

Nylander Zegras
19: 13 in 22 / 13 in 24
20: 61 in 81 / 61 in 75
21: 61 in 82 / 65 in 81
22: 27 in 54 / 13 in 28

162 in 239 vs 152 in 208

Zegras still has 2 more games to get to ppg this year
Yeah it really is. His entire situation reminds me so much of Nylanders. Theyre a similar type of player as well. I'm a leafs fan but I drafted Zegras in a dynasty league back durin his draft year, and hes one of my favourite players to watch so I've followed him very closely and how I feel about Zegras right now is very similar to how I felt about Nylander back then. He has too much talent not to put it all together, and I believe all the "off ice stuff" is just exaggerated and not even really true. He seems like a very motivated and dedicated person and I'm sure he wants to prove people wrong.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Yeah it really is. His entire situation reminds me so much of Nylanders. Theyre a similar type of player as well. I'm a leafs fan but I drafted Zegras in a dynasty league back durin his draft year, and hes one of my favourite players to watch so I've followed him very closely and how I feel about Zegras right now is very similar to how I felt about Nylander back then. He has too much talent not to put it all together, and I believe all the "off ice stuff" is just exaggerated and not even really true. He seems like a very motivated and dedicated person and I'm sure he wants to prove people wrong.
Yeah, with Zegras people seem to really only go with the cliche of skilled guys who don’t work hard enough, which is simply not the case with him, and everybody who’s worked with him will say so. He’s extremely dedicated and doesn’t pout when he gets criticism from his coaches. Sure, he’s a young guy, still inconsistent on some decision-making and on the defensive end (although his struggles there are exaggerated, too) and in some moments emotions get the better of him, but he’s always right back working. I’m pretty optimistic people will look back at the criticism he got in these years and get a good chuckle out of them.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
This thread is comical. The worst hfboard posters keep coming back with horrible trade offers that don’t make any sense for the ducks

Reactions: Kalv

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Would love to add zegras to the rangers, but I don’t think that can happen unless the somehow move zibby, which at least in the foreseeable future isn’t going to happen. Signed 6 more years with a NMC….

From ANA perspective, unless they get a 1 for 1 hockey trade for a cost controlled top pair potential D, why move him???
It’s not like they are on the cusp of winning the cup next year?
Moving any talented player after he has his worse/injury riddled season is just not smart business.
NYR wouldn’t move Kakko after the year he just had. Maybe in the future, but not when 1 year prior he’s was trending upward?
I suspect the ducks will have the same line of reasoning, even if they want to move Zegras down the line…..

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

If the relationship with mngmt is repaired, then I doubt he gets moved... But if either side is still sitting where they were last summer, I bet we'll see him traded for a return reflective of his age/body of work rather than reflective of the difficult season he just had.

Habs (need and familiarity with the player/person) would likely be an aggressive bidder... Don't see a 1:1 fit, but if a package gets it done, the starting point is likely a non lottery 1st, decent prospect/young player & another asset in the 2nd-3rd pick range of value
Well you can keep your man cause I don't go that rout! - Positive K

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad