Trevor Timmins - The day they made me draft Louis Leblanc....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
The De La Rose and Lekhonen picks in the 2nd round keep coming up. Go look at that 2nd round. TT got arguably the 2 best available players.

Exactly. You could make a compelling argument that Lehkonen and De la Rose are the best players chosen after the 1st round that year. Context is everything. In a vacuum, De la Rose hasn't progressed as planned. In relation to those drafted around him, he looks like a great pick.

Reactions: WinterLion

Janne Niinimaa

"Character"
Sep 28, 2017
Montreal
Exactly. You could make a compelling argument that Lehkonen and De la Rose are the best players chosen after the 1st round that year. Context is everything. In a vacuum, De la Rose hasn't progressed as planned. In relation to those drafted around him, he looks like a great pick.
If McCarron can even just become a decent 4th line RW that throws his weight around then we can have 4 full time NHL'ers in that draft. I'm counting Andrighetto as well. Obviously none became real impact players but to have 4 full time players definitely isn't "bad scouting".

But this year, given the state of our pool and team, I would rather Timmins takes some swings rather than just safe bottom 6 players.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
The De La Rose and Lekhonen picks in the 2nd round keep coming up. Go look at that 2nd round. TT got arguably the 2 best available players.

Lek is the best in that round sure, but DLR? I wouldn't blame TT for the selection because DLR is an NHL-er, but I also wouldn't defend it at all if someone thinks it's a bad pick because he's a non-factor. I would have picked Compher (if not to continue the habs' streak of having a Michigan Wolverines player in their prospect pool :laugh:) or Zykov.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Lek is the best in that round sure, but DLR? I wouldn't blame TT for the selection because DLR is an NHL-er, but I also wouldn't defend it at all if someone thinks it's a bad pick because he's a non-factor. I would have picked Compher (if not to continue the habs' streak of having a Michigan Wolverines player in their prospect pool :laugh:) or Zykov.
I really wanted Zykov too. He's yet to establish himself but he's shown some flashes and could still find his niche.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Lol and then we picked twice more ahead of him in the 2nd. :confused:
I was going insane, but I did like Fucale and DLR as prospects, so yeah, not as bad as McCarron.

Jason Dickinson is probably the one that killed me though. I was so happy when he was still ont the board, I was all smiles, I thought damn, there we go, thats the big winger we need!

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I was going insane, but I did like Fucale and DLR as prospects, so yeah, not as bad as McCarron.

Jason Dickinson is probably the one that killed me though. I was so happy when he was still ont the board, I was all smiles, I thought damn, there we go, thats the big winger we need!

Dickinson was a beast. Think he just maxed outbearly

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Hey, has TT been so good we should never question his picks? Just point out that other teams passed on the same guys, blah blah. Compare picks to better drafting teams & see what it was that they saw that you didn't. When he has done this job for so long the expectation would be that he has refined his criteria & processes to select & rank players more accurately than he used to at the beginning of his tenure. Do I think that is happening? Not convinced. DLR-4th liner, Lek-3rd liner. Always thought TT had a great eye for 3rd & 4th liners. There, see, pat him on the back-great job. Sometime dumb luck plays a factor. I just think sometime change is good, and that maybe someone else would see some different intangibles that would make for a better selection. Why not move TT to player development, so that he can correct what is perceived as poorly developed prospects. Basically saying drafting is a guessing game doesn't absolve him from responsibility for failed picks.
Final two words: Connor Crisp

nobody gets a free pass. But for me I have blamed the development side more then the scouting side since Timmins has shown in the past he can find talent like Subban, Price, McDonagh, Pac, Halak, Grabo, Kostitsyn's, etc....

That said he's made his share of mistakes. Collberg, Fischer, trading up for Tinordi, Crisp, Maxwell, etc... Every scout is going to have a long list of misses, when you look at the stats on players picked outside the top 10/20/30 the numbers take a nose dive. That said he needs to do a better job, the Habs need to do a better job developing talent and stop calling up players at 19/20 when they aren't ready.

Timmins said today that they made changes after the '13 draft when they went for size (which was the 1st draft Churla was here) if you look at the drafts since then, there are clearly some interesting picks outside the 1st round like Mete, Evans, Primeau, Addison, Vejdemo, Hawkey, etc..

That said since the '13 draft to the '16 draft the Habs have picked 3 times inside the top 70. That's f***ing brutal for 3 years of drafting. Now they did get Sergachev, Scherbak and Juulsen from those 3 picks but it's very hard to build your farm system when you have 3 picks in 3 years inside the top 70. Last draft we had 4 picks in the top 70, just goes to show that in 1 year we had more picks then over 3 drafts. Blame MB for wasting picks there.

Reactions: L4br3cqu3

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
BPA isn't always the guy with the most skill. Kostitsyn had more skill then a lot of the guys drafted after him, yet with hindsight we know he wasn't the BPA.

I am 100% confident that Sergachev was a Timmins pick. If Bergevin had his way he probably would have taken Logan Brown.

If this is strictly about Timmins then it's worth pointing out Bergevin came in he changed Timmins role in 2012. It's less clear that Timmins has the same authority/independence at the drafts that he had when Gainey was GM.

If it's about scouting/development as a whole, then yes we shouldn't be happy with the recent results and things need to change. If I was in charge I would keep Timmins around, but probably get rid of most of the other guys

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
If McCarron can even just become a decent 4th line RW that throws his weight around then we can have 4 full time NHL'ers in that draft. I'm counting Andrighetto as well. Obviously none became real impact players but to have 4 full time players definitely isn't "bad scouting".

But this year, given the state of our pool and team, I would rather Timmins takes some swings rather than just safe bottom 6 players.
I'd argue Ghetto was a homerun swing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad