Trevor Timmins - The day they made me draft Louis Leblanc....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
So we would have Carlson and Kreider right now in the lineup. I still want to know why he draft McCarron and Sherbak

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
So we would have Carlson and Kreider right now in the lineup. I still want to know why he draft McCarron and Sherbak

In hindsight, Theodore would have been a better pick over McCarron, but Scherbak has a lot of talent so I'm not giving up on him yet.

Reactions: scrubadam

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
McCagg is mistaken. During Gainey's entire tenure, he had dibs on the first round pick.

Still....I will ALWAYS believe that if Timmins doesn't like a player, he won't be force to take one. All great for him to say how he would have taken Carlson and Kreider....incredibly enough, if somebody here does that, we are blame to use hindsight....

And this whole "we had to go big with Tinordi, and we had to concentrate on C with Galchenyuk...that's all there is to know about this drafting group.....they just don't see the big picture. Proof is there that if you have a great prospect, no matter the position, if you need something, you will find a team that wants your prospects. If we would have concentrated on C and big last year....and would have picked Logan Brown, would TBay have traded Drouin for him? UNLESS you are top 3 or top 5 and you have 2 SUREFIRE TOP NHL'ers that you feel are somewhat similar AND that it's between a C and a D, and you lack C....YES go ahead! Pick a C. BUt everything else is the BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE. And that organization with that scouting crew had done a terrible job on that specific type of evaluation.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003

Timmins strikes me as the guy who won't admit his mistakes. I guess that's why he goes well with Bergevin. Everything he did was fine or had a great reason why he did it. Yes...I absolutely believe him that the pressure for Leblanc was huge. And that the draft should NEVER be held in Montreal ever again. But he still had Leblanc as No 9 in his freakin draft list. It was for the show? And Kreider was behind on the list too. And I don't believe Timmins is a puppet.

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
It's a good article, and it made me feel bad for Timmins, but it's pretty easy to say things like "oh I would've picked the right one I swear" in retrospect, especially when Mathias "Timmins #1 fan" Brunet is sitting in front of you

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
nothing wrong with the Leblanc pick at the time. I thought they were going for Despres but Leblanc was fine up until his 2nd pro season. Poorly handled by our AHL staff and management. Not saying it would have turned out differently and there is blame to go around for Leblanc and Timmins and his staff but who knows what would have happened if we had a better AHL coach and management in place.

Max2

Nov 17, 2013
McCarron is a bit useless but before his injury,you could see glimpses of Scherbak's potential and the reason he was a first round pick.I think he'll be one of those late bloomers that really catch on in their mid 20s and be a very good 20 goal top six winger for us.

Price4Prez

Nov 20, 2007
To be honest - i dont see what is so great about this article.

Is it because Timmins confirmed Leblanc wasnt his first choice? Not only do i believe him but i think it was more than obvious it was going to be the pick, despite his or anyone elses reservations on that choice.

That francophone pressure(which is still and will always be present) will take priority over other things, especially when the prospects both arent showing great stats at that point in the draft.

It's sad-but it's our reailty.

Reactions: dralaf

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Leblanc was 9th on Timmins' list.

In the absence of evidence, we should provide no weight to retroactive drafting.

I'd like to see lists for most years. It doesn't so much matter who you had at #1 on your list at any given time so long as the general order of the draft is correct. You'll hit eventually and miss most times anyways. For example, Timmins gets a lot of heat for drafting Koberstein ahead of Anders Bjork, or Crisp ahead of Buchnevich. But what if Timmins had Bjork ahead of where Boston had him? Boston gets all the credit because they chose the player. But Timmins might have had the ranking more on the money. Quantization error is brutal in drafts.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Weird how every single pick he doesn't have, he would have selected the guy who turned out being the best, but meanwhile when he has quality pick to work with, he drafts Collbergs Fucales and De La Roses. He's just a rat who has no sense of accountability. Like the management of his team.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Well if I wasn't sure a while ago, now I know Timmins is a complete liar and tool. Basically everyone he didn't draft , that turned out to be good, was the player he wanted. Sounds like he posts here.

I'm pretty sure it was reported years ago he loved Carlson.

Reactions: dralaf

Jul 6, 2016
Nothing in this article about his famous Fischer and Urquahart picks .

If Mangement did not want Timmins to draft Kreider, it is also because they did not want another American College fiasco pick.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
2012 and 2013 drafts killed the team. Between the two drafts the Habs had two 1sts and five 2nds. All that came from those seven picks that is worthwhile are Galchenyuk (which was a no brainer pick) and Lehkonen.

Reactions: JAVO16

Jul 6, 2016
To be honest - i dont see what is so great about this article.

Is it because Timmins confirmed Leblanc wasnt his first choice? Not only do i believe him but i think it was more than obvious it was going to be the pick, despite his or anyone elses reservations on that choice.

That francophone pressure(which is still and will always be present) will take priority over other things, especially when the prospects both arent showing great stats at that point in the draft.

It's sad-but it's our reailty.

But in this article, they did not discuss his Fisher pick.... How come ?... Giroux should had been the obvious pick. Oh, he’s a Franco ontarian kid playing in Gatineau....

Jul 6, 2016
But in this article, they did not discuss his Fisher pick.... How come ?... Giroux should had been the obvious pick. Oh, he’s a Franco ontarian kid playing in Gatineau....

Anf they love so much the Quebec kids taht they draft Crisp instead of Duclair, and Vejdemo instead of Roy....

Think again.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
2012 and 2013 drafts killed the team. Between the two drafts the Habs had two 1sts and five 2nds. All that came from them that is worthwhile are Galchenyuk (which was a no brainer pick) and Lehkonen.

Crisp over Buchnevich. Probably my lowest moment following the draft.

Reactions: JAVO16

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
nothing wrong with the Leblanc pick at the time. I thought they were going for Despres but Leblanc was fine up until his 2nd pro season. Poorly handled by our AHL staff and management. Not saying it would have turned out differently and there is blame to go around for Leblanc and Timmins and his staff but who knows what would have happened if we had a better AHL coach and management in place.

The ankle injury also didn't help. I think he was brought up to the NHL too quickly and it inflated his head into thinking he belonged there. Too bad.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Anf they love so much the Quebec kids taht they draft Crisp instead of Duclair, and Vejdemo instead of Roy....

Think again.

Crisp was a bad one for sure, but I'm not ready to write Vejdemo off yet. I absolutely love A. Roy (picked him in my mock draft mind you!) and he's probably ahead of Lukas right now, but Vejdemo can still make it.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
It was obvious that if Leblanc was on the board, they were going to take him.

Draft was in Montreal
They were getting bashed for not taking francophone players "Bienvenue a Montreal Olivier Fortier!" When the Habs drafted McDonagh, Pacioretty and Subban lmao
There was a lot of ire about them taking american players "Les Montreal Americaines"
So, here was a local kid, draft in Montreal, going the american college route.

And it was pretty well known that Timmins wanted Carlson in the Tanguay draft.

Nothing new to me in this article. Easy deductive reasoning would lead to the same conclusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->