Trevor Timmins Discussion (Part V)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
I'm not ready to give up on KK as a potential first line center....he's only 19 years old and was likely rushed last year. Had he had 1-2 years in Liiga, I think it would have done wonders for him. He's not the first good young player to hit a roadblock in his second year. The obvious thing that sticks out about him, is that he has to get way stronger. The good news is that this is entirely doable for anybody. Once you're strong enough, it gives you more confidence to fight for the puck and to get into those dirty areas.

Nick Suzuki was nowhere near the player he is now at this point last year. Although skilled, most of thought he looked somewhat soft and he wasn't interested in fighting for the pucks in the corner. Fast forward 1 year with an additional 8-10 pounds of muscle and maturity, and look at the difference.

Suzuki has a natural talent far above JK. I can't remember the lat time I saw Jasperi hit the net with a shot, its either 6' over or 6' wide, he has an awful shot accuracy. I think his stick is way too long for his abilities, and it messes him up in traffic as well.

We took a guy 3rd overall that may be a 3rd line C at best and passed on a legitimate franchise blueliner in Hughes, or Dobson. We passed on Zadina and Tkachuk because 'they suck' according to so many here.

Last year's draft set up back 5 years down the middle.

Reactions: calder candidate

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
It was never the right pick, was never the BPA, more failed scouting by the Habs. Some scouts had JK at 12 over their concerns about his shot, which is looking more and more valid. Kid can't hit a net, doesn't like traffic, makes bad decisions.

Tkachuk , or Hughes would have put this team so far ahead in terms of a rebuild, but now we are set back again watching another failed first rounder plummet in the organization. The only reason he is up here is Bergevin worried about optics.

When they made the pick I was sure that they most of been convinced it was the right pick or else they would have taken the most NHL ready player for PR reason... But than he played a full season in the NHL when there was zero expectation for him to do so /he wasn’t having any impact and could easily have played AHL or in Finland which could have been better for is progress and it also wouldn’t of have any implication regarding is FA statut... Now it seem more like they made the wrong pick and tried keep him in the NHL to try and make it look better...

Reactions: Ozmodiar

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
When they made the pick I was sure that they most of been convinced it was the right pick or else they would have taken the most NHL ready player for PR reason... But than he played a full season in the NHL when there was zero expectation for him to do so /he wasn’t having any impact and could easily have played AHL or in Finland which could have been better for is progress and it also wouldn’t of have any implication regarding is FA statut... Now it seem more like they made the wrong pick and tried keep him in the NHL to try and make it look better...

They took a Center no matter what was available, it clouded their judgment like so many moves and picks have in the past. Why would you ever pass on a franchise Dman like Hughes, or even a player like Tkachuk? Unless that C was a 'bonafide' best BPA, the pick never made sense.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
They took a Center no matter what was available, it clouded their judgment like so many moves and picks have in the past. Why would you ever pass on a franchise Dman like Hughes, or even a player like Tkachuk? Unless that C was a 'bonafide' best BPA, the pick never made sense.

I hate drafting for need. But with Timmins at the helm, and him being so good at drafting Dmen, I'd like to load up on 2nds at the deadline and draft a bunch of D in the 2nd round. Would be huge moving forward to land a 2nd Romanov level young dman - to go along with the depth guys like Brook, Mete, Norlinder, Fleury, Struble, etc..

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
I hate drafting for need. But with Timmins at the helm, and him being so good at drafting Dmen, I'd like to load up on 2nds at the deadline and draft a bunch of D in the 2nd round. Would be huge moving forward to land a 2nd Romanov level young dman - to go along with the depth guys like Brook, Mete, Norlinder, Fleury, Struble, etc..

It would be a start, but even after Bergy's big C drafting splurge, it still doesn't look good down the middle.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
It would be a start, but even after Bergy's big C drafting splurge, it still doesn't look good down the middle.

I'm fine with Suzuki, Kotkaniemi, Domi, Danault, Poehling going forward. We only need 3 of them to pan out. Suzuki, Domi, and Danault is already good enough imo. The defense needs more high end players. Only reason I recommend drafting D is because Timmins is light years better at drafting D than forwards. We could use true elite talent at any position. If Timmins really thinks he's found that, take the player regardless of position.

Frank JT

Feb 8, 2014
In my opinion, the fact that Timmins is still present is mainly explained because he made lists that are better than the selections of the organisation. As said before, the GMs asked him to select by position, not the best player available.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
I'm fine with Suzuki, Kotkaniemi, Domi, Danault, Poehling going forward. We only need 3 of them to pan out. Suzuki, Domi, and Danault is already good enough imo. The defense needs more high end players. Only reason I recommend drafting D is because Timmins is light years better at drafting D than forwards. We could use true elite talent at any position. If Timmins really thinks he's found that, take the player regardless of position.

I hate to tell you but a center line of Domi-Suzuki-Danault isn’t much in our division.

TB:

Point
Stamkos
Cirelli

Tor:

Matthews
Tavares
Kerfoot

Bos:

Bergeron
Krejci
Coyle

Buffalo:

Eichel
Cozens
Reinhart

Florida:

Barkov
Trocheck
Borgström

Ottawa:

Lol ok

The only bright spot is Boston is ageing, but all other cores are smack dab in their prime.

Reactions: Gravity and LaP

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I hate to tell you but a center line of Domi-Suzuki-Danault isn’t much in our division.

TB:

Point
Stamkos
Cirelli

Tor:

Matthews
Tavares
Kerfoot

Bos:

Bergeron
Krejci
Coyle

Buffalo:

Eichel
Cozens
Reinhart

Florida:

Barkov
Trocheck
Borgström

Ottawa:

Lol ok

The only bright spot is Boston is ageing, but all other cores are smack dab in their prime.

Yes I'm aware of that. But we shouldn't be reaching for a center and we can win with a good, deep all around team.

Timmins hasn't drafted a center better than the ones you just listed in 17 years. I don't want him to start reaching just now. And the discussion I was having involved me saying I hope we stock up on 2nds and Timmins drafts a lot of D with them. Very hard for any scout to find a #1 C in the 2nd round, let alone Timmins. However Timmins has found a lot of good dmen in the 2nd round. (Subban, Romanov, Brook, Struble(?) + Mete, Fleury, Norlinder, Harris shortly thereafter). His only busts in the 2nd round are Matthieu Carle and Thrower in the 2nd round. He has a ton of forward busts in the 2nd round.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Yes I'm aware of that. But we shouldn't be reaching for a center and we can win with a good, deep all around team.

Timmins hasn't drafted a center better than the ones you just listed in 17 years. I don't want him to start reaching just now. And the discussion I was having involved me saying I hope we stock up on 2nds and Timmins drafts a lot of D with them. Very hard for any scout to find a #1 C in the 2nd round, let alone Timmins. However Timmins has found a lot of good dmen in the 2nd round. (Subban, Romanov, Brook, Struble(?) + Mete, Fleury, Norlinder, Harris shortly thereafter). His only busts in the 2nd round are Matthieu Carle and Thrower in the 2nd round. He has a ton of forward busts in the 2nd round.

Timmins seems to have trouble drafting forwards, period.

He could draft Byfield and it would somehow backfire, lol.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Timmins seems to have trouble drafting forwards, period.

He could draft Byfield and it would somehow backfire, lol.

I'd like to keep him in charge of forwards and goalies, but bring in someone new in charge of forwards...

Kotakniemi, Poehling, and Caufield are huge for his record. Since he likely won't stay on as only in charge of D and goalies, he may lose any support he has if 2 of those 3 don't pan out.

Habs

Feb 28, 2002

Yeah but in all reality, the only drafted D that have made the cut on this team are Mete and Fleury, that isn't exactly hitting it out of the park. Romanov and Harris could be key guys, but who knows on how they develop and what sort of a system they are in.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
I always said that I saw KK's absolute ceiling as Radek Bonk if everything went well. Things are not going well. At this point, it's looking more like we have a Lars Eller caliber player on our hands in the best case scenario going forward, but maybe not even that. Too bad, another blown high pick.

Frank JT

Feb 8, 2014
KK is still really young. Come on.
After his draft, a lot of experts were saying he was a long term project.
He still is.

Reactions: Gravity

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I always said that I saw KK's absolute ceiling as Radek Bonk if everything went well. Things are not going well. At this point, it's looking more like we have a Lars Eller caliber player on our hands in the best case scenario going forward, but maybe not even that. Too bad, another blown high pick.

waaay too early

Go look up Hertl and Couture's stats. They didn't hit their stride until the age of 25.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
waaay too early

Go look up Hertl and Couture's stats. They didn't hit their stride until the age of 25.
Both those guys were better skaters, more physical, and stronger 2-way players than KK at the same age. They were serviceable players despite not piling up the points early on. They showed promise. KK is useless right now; he brings nothing. There are no encouraging signs at all right now. Galchenyuk was a better player at the same age. Of course you bring up 2 exceptions to compare KK to despite him looking nothing like they did at the same age. Things just look bleak for this kid. I do hope I'm wrong and he can turn it around, but yikes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad