Trevor Timmins Discussion (Part V)

Status
Not open for further replies.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Looks like Lernout will not be qualified either:

So Shinkaruk, Audette, and Lernout will not return.

It hurts that the Habs traded up for this guy and Brayden Point went 6 spots after.

Last edited:

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
It hurts that the Habs traded up for this guy and Brayden Point when 6 spots after.

But, but, we need to get bigger... Point and Tampa lost in the first round this year. That's unequivocal proof that small guys aren't good in the playoffs...

Reactions: 417

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
2012-2014 drafts are looking worse and worse every year. Yikes. 2015 isn't looking that great either.

They're probably even more responsible for the habs' performances in the last 3-4 years than 2008-2011.

Reactions: Born in 1909

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Remember when Churla and the Habs traded up for Lernout and selected him over Brayden Point, both from the same league?

Someone should be canned for that one

Why name only Churla? Timmins had no problem with the pick either. I was told that it was normal for Timmins (even though that's not true) to have picked Tinordi 'cause you know, hockey in 2010, wasn't the hockey it is now (even though that's not true, as other teams has already started to pick smaller more skilled d-men like Ryan Ellis or...Erik Karlsson...). So what is the explanation behind Lernout pick? A tough and scrappy defensive d-man that was worth trading 2 picks to get him? In 2014????

Canadiens can't resist skills of Daniel Audette, son of former NHLer - TheHockeyNews

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Awful 2014 that can only be saved by Evans. Can't believe they,ve traded 2 picks to get their hands on Lernout...lollll

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
2012-2014 drafts are looking worse and worse every year. Yikes. 2015 isn't looking that great either.

They're probably even more responsible for the habs' performances in the last 3-4 years than 2008-2011.

Staring down the barrel of 8 years’ relative ineptitude at the draft. Feels good man

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009

Lol good luck with this one. I remember looking up the Bruins drafting record when people were going on about the Bruins way to rebuild, they had similar droughts. If it wasnt for Burke gifting them Seguin and Hamilton it would be horrid drafts over 7 years. People who want to will look to absolve MB of anything possible.

Born in 1909

Hockey Royalty
Nov 20, 2007
Montreal

Easily the #1 problem with the Habs, imo.

Way too many draft misses/busts for way too long long periods of time.

Who's responsible?

Timmins? Bergevin? Luck?

Not good.

Reactions: Habs Icing

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Remember when Churla and the Habs traded up for Lernout and selected him over Brayden Point, both from the same league?

Someone should be canned for that one

That 2014 draft is looking abysmal.

Another strike for Timmins.

If it was just the 2014 draft I would say you're over-reacting. But that draft year is just one in a string of abysmal draft years from 2008 to 2016 and counting.

I would use definitely instead of probably.

And a couple of weeks ago they released Walford and Tyszka from the 2017 draft year. I wonder if they're just the vanguard of more failed picks for the years 2017-2018.

I was a big TT fan who was starting to have doubts of late but hearing that Walford and Tyszka were not signed just put me over the edge. With every freaking draft we hear how TT really nailed it and we now have one of the best prospect pools. And yet the GM has rarely ever any young players to work with.

After 16 years drafting for the Habs TT's contributions to the team right now are:

Mete
Lehky
Gally
KK
Price

That's pathetic. True some of his more successful picks were traded but they were traded because they had flaws and didn't help the team.

If Bergevin is a screw up then what the hell is Timmins? He is worse at his job then MB.

Last edited:

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Easily the #1 problem with the Habs, imo.

Way too many draft misses/busts for way too long long periods of time.

Who's responsible?

Timmins? Bergevin? Luck?

Not good.
It's definitely Timmins. I would only blame Bergevin for keepin TT the last few years. Timmins was alson in charge under Gainey and Gauthier.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
If it was just the 2014 draft I would say you're over-reacting. But that draft year is just one in a string of abysmal draft years from 2008 to 2016 and counting.

I would use definitely instead of probably.

And a couple of weeks ago they released Walford and Tyszka from the 2017 draft year. I wonder if they're just the vanguard of more failed picks for the years 2017-2018.

I was a big TT fan who was starting to have doubts of late but hearing that Walford and Tyszka were not signed just put me over the edge. With every freaking draft we hear how TT really nailed it and we now have one of the best prospect pools. And yet the GM has rarely ever any young players to work with.

After 16 years drafting for the Habs TT's contributions to the team right now are:

Mete
Lehky
Gally
KK
Price

That's pathetic. True some of his more successful picks were traded but they were traded because they had flaws and didn't help the team.

If Bergevin is a screw up then what the hell is Timmins? He is worse at his job then MB.

I agree with everything except I would remove McDonagh from the list of flaws and didn't help as it had nothing to do with him. You still have to add Patch and PK. For draft picks, they are great players. And you still trade great players. Despite their flaws. 'Cause if you think Patch and Pk had flaws, well I announce to you that Mete and Lehky have flaws too.

Watch out now. LG will come out in full force talking about Lefebvre and all. He is not necessarily wrong....but in the end, Lefebvre would not be able to turn a great player into a ECHL'er. So Timmins didn't give him enough great picks to be able to f*** them all up.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I agree with everything except I would remove McDonagh from the list of flaws and didn't help as it had nothing to do with him. You still have to add Patch and PK. For draft picks, they are great players. And you still trade great players. Despite their flaws. 'Cause if you think Patch and Pk had flaws, well I announce to you that Mete and Lehky have flaws too.

Watch out now. LG will come out in full force talking about Lefebvre and all. He is not necessarily wrong....but in the end, Lefebvre would not be able to turn a great player into a ECHL'er. So Timmins didn't give him enough great picks to be able to **** them all up.
I agree with you. I went overboard with the traded players but even if we include them his record still sucks

Mete
Lehky
Gally
KK
Price
P.K.
Patches
Chucky
McDonagh
Sergachev
Halak
Andrighetto
Beaulieu (is he still a NHLer?)

After 16 years those are his contributions. The record speaks for itself. And my guts tell me we;ll be disappointed with the 17-18 picks.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
I agree with you. I went overboard with the traded players but even if we include them his record still sucks

Mete
Lehky
Gally
KK
Price
P.K.
Patches
Chucky
McDonagh
Sergachev
Halak
Andrighetto
Beaulieu (is he still a NHLer?)

After 16 years those are his contributions. The record speaks for itself. And my guts tell me we;ll be disappointed with the 17-18 picks.

You have to add Streit. Where I disagree with LG And others it's when they add D'Agostini and SKost in the mix...geez......So we shouldn't go the other way around whihc means not giving him credit where it's due. Thing is, since 2008, he has done squat, that only the last 2 drafts could correct. And what he needed was EXACTLY what every team needs...which is a lot of high picks. For that reason alone, it's obvious to see that Timmins, at best, is just average. And we would lose him, we might not even see the difference.

Mind you, not being replaced by Churla though.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Timmins and Bergevin are apparently scheduled to meet the media tomorrow (Thursday 20 June around 1430 hrs).

Tony Marinaro mentioned he has put in a request for an interview with Timmins next Monday to go over the draft (on TSN690).

"...He was under the radar..."

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Awful 2014 that can only be saved by Evans. Can't believe they,ve traded 2 picks to get their hands on Lernout...lollll

it's looking brutal, but 1 pick in the top 72 is also brutal. We'll see what the pick we got for Hawkey turns into, interested to see what he does as I think at worst he can be a very solid AHLer so got to think some teams will be interested in him in August. Evans should see time in the NHL at some point but hard to say if he can end up a regular or just a bubble guy.

Sad when your 7th round pick ends up your best pick. Whoever pushed for Lernout and Koberstein, likely going for size like they did in '13 which now has been admitted as a mistake, hope they also learned from that. Also interested to see if Scherbak can get his shit together or not, it's been said he was never a hard worker so we'll see if this motivates him or not, Dadonov didn't do much in the NHL and then comes back after 5 years in the KHL and puts up 70 pts. Not that I would expect that for Scherbak but still think he has the skill to be a solid NHLer so maybe a few years in the KHL to work on getting stronger, improving his all round play will turn him into a better player.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
it's looking brutal, but 1 pick in the top 72 is also brutal. We'll see what the pick we got for Hawkey turns into, interested to see what he does as I think at worst he can be a very solid AHLer so got to think some teams will be interested in him in August. Evans should see time in the NHL at some point but hard to say if he can end up a regular or just a bubble guy.

Sad when your 7th round pick ends up your best pick. Whoever pushed for Lernout and Koberstein, likely going for size like they did in '13 which now has been admitted as a mistake, hope they also learned from that. Also interested to see if Scherbak can get his **** together or not, it's been said he was never a hard worker so we'll see if this motivates him or not, Dadonov didn't do much in the NHL and then comes back after 5 years in the KHL and puts up 70 pts. Not that I would expect that for Scherbak but still think he has the skill to be a solid NHLer so maybe a few years in the KHL to work on getting stronger, improving his all round play will turn him into a better player.

We will always have to agree to disagree on that my friend. 'Cause having not that many picks, for me, does not change how you should evaluate a player. What it removes is the possibility to add A LOT of players. But the quality of those? I don't see how that's relevant. LIke I said before, I had no problem with the Scherbak pick. But the Lernout pick, at that time, and having traded for him too, made no sense. For me. At that time. If the idea is that with low number of picks, you try to make the best of it and try the homerun, clearly he wasn't him in 2014. He's not him today. With Brayden Point just chosen after him. And people should not tell me howh it made no sense to pick a smaller guy, we've done that every draft.

Again, as I always say...look at Boston 2014 draft. Total of 5 picks. 2 top 56. We had 2 top 73. And they were able to get Pastrnak, Donato and Heinen at 116. Why couldn't we got our hands on Heinen? They only had 5 picks. But they succeeded in recognizing talent anyway despite the low number of picks.

Yes, the most draft picks you have, the more chances you have to be good. True. Which count for every head scout in the league. Just that, I've heard so much how the best he was....if he was, he's not anymore.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
We will always have to agree to disagree on that my friend. 'Cause having not that many picks, for me, does not change how you should evaluate a player.

the odds are so bad based off the stats when you start drafting out of the top 20, 30, etc... so when you have 26th and 73rd OA, the odds are so badly stacked against you. Yes it would be great if they hit on players despite those odds, but it shouldn't be surprising when you don't. We'll see what Evans turns into, what can Hawkey do, can Scherbak ever figure it out?

boston has been better then us, they have drafted better, developed better, and better asset management. Hence they are one of the top teams in the NHL.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Good to hear... Timmins has three 5th round picks this year. I've always considered it his lucky round after Gallagher and Grabovsky, although Dietz and Hudon never panned out...

his 5th round picks since Hudon look like shit, Koberstein, Audette, Bradley, Staum, Tyszka, Houde and Fonstad. Only Fonstad and Tyszka look like they could be something, maybe Houde but I haven't been impressed. Granted the 5th round is expected to be shit, and Hudon we'll see what happens with him.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Its getting pathetic at this point. since 2008 its been horrible. Ok he was great in 05 and 07, so what DD had 60 points in 2011 should we put him back on the team as the number 1 center.

Gally and Lek is all that we have left on this team since 08 draft. Lek will probably be traded within the next 2 years if he keeps sliding down the depth chart. If it wasn't for KK and Armia he would of been on the 4th line last year.

The rest are bust or dime a dozen players. Should we be jumping for joy because JDLR played 60 games in the NHL and had 9 points. Hudon gone, probably to Europe soon. Sven is he even in the league anymore? Beau probably on his last chance.

Are we really going to blame 7 pathetic years of drafting on Sly and MT?

It gets worse if you look at who he missed. Lernout instead of Point? Crisp instead of Guentzel. Scherback instead of Pasta. Ya Boston got him one pick ahead but we trade up for stiffs like Tinordi and Lernout but not for Pasta!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad