Trevor Timmins Discussion (Part IV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
In hindsight, certainly. Leblanc in particular was the type of nightmare that happens when a team lets crowd chants and media pressure influence a draft pick.
But, other then Kreider all the choices the Habs could of taken instead of Leblanc were busts, more or less. I’d be curious why the Habs didn’t like Kreider over Leblanc.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
But, other then Kreider all the choices the Habs could of taken instead of Leblanc were busts, more or less. I’d be curious why the Habs didn’t like Kreider over Leblanc.

Wasn’t Kreider on the Habs’s list, at least ahead of Leblanc for one of the Habs’s top management guys? It’s too bad it didn’t work out.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Habs are the third highest valued team: Forbes Releases 20th Annual List of NHL Team Valuations

They should be flexing some muscles beyond the ones their management people are flashing when interviewing prospects.

The fact they employ Eric Crawford is a joke. Then you realize he's the director of pro scouting, and it just reaffirms its an old boys club, nothing more. Crawford is a complete tool, he has never brought anything of value from the West except bad scouting. He destroyed the Canucks prospect pool, blew draft after draft with his 'expert eye', and the Habs scooped him up like a prized gem.

Reactions: Tim Wallach

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Wasn’t Kreider on the Habs’s list, at least ahead of Leblanc for one of the Habs’s top management guys? It’s too bad it didn’t work out.

There was a photo of a list going around and Leblanc was ahead of Kreider. If I recall correctly it was said to be Timmins' list.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm telling you Juulsen gets burnt on the outside by most opposing forwards and you reply that's not true he was leading the team in hits and blocks. Does this really make sense to you?

On the defensive side of the game for the most part I like Juulsen's game but his mobility is a serious problem. Add to that he hardly has an offensive game and you realize how his problem can be magnified. If he's going to be a defensive D-man he better be a damnn good one because his offense is nonexistent.

I'm telling you Juulsen does not get burned on the outside by "most" forwards.

thewall

Jul 9, 2010
Remember when the 2012 draft was suposed to be a great draft by the Habs. I remember reading how good the Hans did back then.

Galchenyuk ok
Colberg flop used to get Vanek
Thrower bust
Bozon terrible illness /bust
Vail bust
Hudon AHL at best
Erik Nystrom.... who the hell is Nystrom???

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Sure 2012

Yes and no, Ylonen is somewhat sexy but hes also very grinder-y

Yeah Serg, but a Dman is rarely sexy to me.

yeah I think I always want a forward. Your returns on D man in the 1st round argument is actually pretty solid, at least intuitively, to me.

He was about as sexy as a D man pick as you could get though. Definitely sexier than the forwards who were around our spot. At least at the time.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Except they wouldn't

You're right, their track record with developing offense out of players is stellar. They have a hard enough time doing it with Galchenyuk, Kostitsyn, etc.. but we are expected they'll easily do it with guys who have the ? offensive upside tag.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
You're right, their track record with developing offense out of players is stellar. They have a hard enough time doing it with Galchenyuk, Kostitsyn, etc.. but we are expected they'll easily do it with guys who have the ? offensive upside tag.
You're right, both those guys were excellent offensive defensemen lol

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
You're right, both those guys were excellent offensive defensemen lol

Offense out of anyone. Beaulieu sucked.. Tinordi was supposed to have better puck moving abilities, couldn't develop anything out of him. Mete is not taking another step offensively.. Juulsen's offensive upside is going down by the day.

What makes you think that? Lefebvre is gonzo and the current combo of Bouchard and Richardson don't look to me to be manglers.

I'm not ready to throw away 20 years of nonsense yet, takes a bit longer than that to build my trust.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: vokiel

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Offense out of anyone. Beaulieu sucked.. Tinordi was supposed to have better puck moving abilities, couldn't develop anything out of him. Mete is not taking another step offensively.. Juulsen's offensive upside is going down by the day.

Let's be a little patient with Mete and Juulsen. One played first pair in the NHL while most of his draft class haven't gotten a sniff. Juulsen just had a career threatening eye injury.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

yeah but Beaulieu sucked because he sucked hahaha. JT did regress under Sly but no one was expecting offense out of him. Mete was getting tons of chances he just couldn't bury. He was creating a bunch this year. The stats aren't there but he was just flat out creating more this year. Juulsen's offense has been a question mark from day 1. Any real production from him would be a cherry on top. More importantly he played a quarter of the year. I really can't think of any legit offensive D man prospect who had his wings clipped to the degree you're talking about.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
yeah but Beaulieu sucked because he sucked hahaha. JT did regress under Sly but no one was expecting offense out of him. Mete was getting tons of chances he just couldn't bury. He was creating a bunch this year. The stats aren't there but he was just flat out creating more this year. Juulsen's offense has been a question mark from day 1. Any real production from him would be a cherry on top. More importantly he played a quarter of the year. I really can't think of any legit offensive D man prospect who had his wings clipped to the degree you're talking about.

That's my point.. they haven't ever really been able to get offense out of guys who have had the questionable offensive upside tag. So if we took Broberg or Seider, I wouldn't be confident that we'd get that offense out of them.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
That's my point.. they haven't ever really been able to get offense out of guys who have had the questionable offensive upside tag. So if we took Broberg or Seider, I wouldn't be confident that we'd get that offense out of them.

But who of these guys you mentioned were developed like bottom pairing D men though? NB had plenty of opportunities. Tinordi was young enough when moved to still be able to get his career on track if the problems were merely organizational. Besides that he just never showed any offence at any level.

Mete's on a top pairing and allowed to rush the puck quite a bit as a 20 year old. Again Juulsen's really only played one pro year. Did he not get any PP time with Laval? Genuinely asking.

The first two is asking to get blood from a stone and the next two don't seem to be actively hampered and are babies one being barely 21 and the other one hasn't even played 2 full years of pro hockey. Christ people think Mete's not an offensive D man yet the guy sure seems to be getting the opportunity to be one.

I don't necessarily agree with the Galchenyuk being actively sabotaged narrative anymore but there's at least somewhat of a case there. I can't even see the case here though. Both Seider and Broberg probably have the highest offensive upside of all the players mentioned (at least at all their respective pre-draft scouting reports). The only one who comes close is NB.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
But who of these guys you mentioned were developed like bottom pairing D men though? NB had plenty of opportunities. Tinordi was young enough when moved to still be able to get his career on track if the problems were merely organizational. Besides that he just never showed any offence at any level.

Mete's on a top pairing and allowed to rush the puck quite a bit as a 20 year old. Again Juulsen's really only played one pro year. Did he not get any PP time with Laval? Genuinely asking.

The first two is asking to get blood from a stone and the next two don't seem to be actively hampered and are babies one being barely 21 and the other one hasn't even played 2 full years of pro hockey. Christ people think Mete's not an offensive D man yet the guy sure seems to be getting the opportunity to be one.

I don't necessarily agree with the Galchenyuk being actively sabotaged narrative anymore but there's at least somewhat of a case there. I can't even see the case here though. Both Seider and Broberg probably have the highest offensive upside of all the players mentioned (at least at all their respective pre-draft scouting reports). The only one who comes close is NB.

They were all developed poorly, that's the point. Hopefully Bouchard and Richardson are better, but for 2 decades now.. we've been really unable to develop offense out of the majority of our players, even guys with high offensive upside.. there's a reason why the last time we had a guy break 80 pts it was Kovalev.. and you'd have to go really far back to see one of our players, who we drafted and developed, put up 80.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad