Trevor Linden and how to tarnish a legacy

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Nah. That was simply Gagner knowing Tanev for a long time and pushing Gillis to sign him. I'm not saying this as a slight to Gillis. Gagner was one of his first hires and that the Tanev signing paid for that hiring in Gold.

There was more to it than that. Gagner saw his name on RIT's roster and told the scouts to go watch him. A number of them watched and put together video for Gillis. They're not going to sign a guy just because Gagner coached him in the past. Guy played at the Frozen Four and still only a handful of teams wanted to sign him, which is nuts.

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
The majority of the fans and especially the casual fans have devoted blind faith to linden.

This is further evidenced by the media who hardly ever gives linden any hardball questions or even a tough time.

His incompetence as president is quite clear if you dig a little deeper but it's like no one really wants to say it to him.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
The majority of the fans and especially the casual fans have devoted blind faith to linden.

This is further evidenced by the media who hardly ever gives linden any hardball questions or even a tough time.

His incompetence as president is quite clear if you dig a little deeper but it's like no one really wants to say it to him.

He's our Kevin Lowe. It's very clear. His level of incompetence, and his sheer arrogance is on par with Lowe's as well.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
He's our Kevin Lowe. It's very clear. His level of incompetence, and his sheer arrogance is on par with Lowe's as well.

Yes, really the only issue is whether the Aquaman will have the same loyalty to this management tandem as Dary Katz had for Lowe-McTavish in Edmonton...Oilers finally pulled the pin and hired a competent coach and GM....hopefully it doesn't take the same kind after season after season futility for that to happen here.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

On this front, the hiring of Linden has been a stroke of absolute genius by Aquilini.

Media and casual fans were harder on Gillis when this team was winning President's Trophies than they are on Linden/Benning when they're running the team into the ground through sheer incompetence. The leeway they get from the media here is nothing short of astonishing.

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
On this front, the hiring of Linden has been a stroke of absolute genius by Aquilini.

Media and casual fans were harder on Gillis when this team was winning President's Trophies than they are on Linden/Benning when they're running the team into the ground through sheer incompetence. The leeway they get from the media here is nothing short of astonishing.

The casual fans have all jumped ship. I wouldn't call decimating your fanbase a stroke of genius.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Because the team just finished 28th. The casual fan still believes in Trevor Linden to turn things around; last season was all Mike Gillis' fault.

Stupid logic, but you're right. People still think that.

Then again, a lot of those casual fans kept saying this team is in a rebuild. :facepalm:

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton

Then again, a lot of those casual fans kept saying this team is in a rebuild. :facepalm:

The difference between the "casual" fan and anyone who follows religiously isn't necessarily logic. The casual fan just doesn't follow this team closely enough to catch onto all the contradicting statements these idiots make. My gf who doesn't follow hockey thinks they're in a rebuild because that's what she heard on the radio once and probably hasn't heard about the mountains of evidence otherwise.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
The difference between the "casual" fan and anyone who follows religiously isn't necessarily logic. The casual fan just doesn't follow this team closely enough to catch onto all the contradicting statements these idiots make. My gf who doesn't follow hockey thinks they're in a rebuild because that's what she heard on the radio once and probably hasn't heard about the mountains of evidence otherwise.

You should see what fans on the Canucks facebook page post. Hell, even the Vancity Buzz facebook page. They're almost all pro Benning.

Ah well. The upcoming years of mediocrity and a bad hockey team is what they deserve I guess.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
This is more personal, though, isn't it? Gillis was gruff with them or whatever so they decided early on they didn't like him, whereas Benning plays the "I'm just a nice guy trying to make it in this world" card and they (with a few exceptions) seem to lap it up because he gets along with them.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011

It's quite annoying. The worst are the ones who pretend they're smart but really just watch the games and know 0 about the managerial side of the game. They take whatever Benning says as gospel and see nothing wrong with what he does." He didn't get fleeced in the Sutter deal because Sutters better and Jim wanted him. Sbisa is a good mentor he can teach the kids how to hit. "

I wish I was making those quotes up.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
This is more personal, though, isn't it? Gillis was gruff with them or whatever so they decided early on they didn't like him, whereas Benning plays the "I'm just a nice guy trying to make it in this world" card and they (with a few exceptions) seem to lap it up because he gets along with them.

Whatever the case, this regime has done a terrific job of mollifying the media here and getting them to basically completely ignore what a total gongshow this franchise is at it sinks to the bottom of the standings. Vladimir Putin would be in awe. Outside of Botchford, it's basically house media.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
They got lucky with Gallagher retiring.

Can't imagine he wouldn't be raking them over the coals.

Blake Price hasn't exactly been complimentary from what I have read, but he's like a special correspondent or something and isn't a regular contributor.

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011

You gotta go on Reddit LOL. The pro Benning cult there is huge. It's even created a circle jerk.

It's quite annoying. The worst are the ones who pretend they're smart but really just watch the games and know 0 about the managerial side of the game. They take whatever Benning says as gospel and see nothing wrong with what he does." He didn't get fleeced in the Sutter deal because Sutters better and Jim wanted him. Sbisa is a good mentor he can teach the kids how to hit. "

I wish I was making those quotes up.

I have been on a few other Canuck forums and a popular opinion of that our rebuild is going great. Just look at our defense it's the youngest in the league. Look at all these young guys Benning has on the roster next year. All you Benning haters just want to contend right away and it's no realistic nor is having a team full of eighteen year olds.

Our defense is ****. We would rank second last in the Pacific if u compare defensive cores.

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011

Yes I agree. Aquilini hiring of Linden has given the Canucks immunity to any major media criticism. Like seriously if the hardest questions asked are by fans once a year at the summer summit then that's just sad.

Edit - aquaman doesn't know hockey well but he knows business, brand value and public perception. He's manipulated it extremely well. The amount of people fooled has me mad but I kinda have to respect his ability.

digger18

Feb 23, 2009
Williams Lake B.C.
Anyone who is still fooled by this management group at this point, are the type of fans down at Rogers arena, who only go and take selfies, because it's a cool place to do so.

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015

It seemed obvious at the time. After losing the way we did in the finals, how both goalies were handled, and then the whole Torteralla thing- the Canucks were in a PR crisis. So they hired Linden. How could anyone spew hatred towards darling Trevor. He just gets up there, arrogantly says whatever he needs to in the moment, even if it's a complete and utter lie, and everything is great- We are all Canucks (puke).

What had he proven as his experience that got him his job? Didn't he piss a lot of people off with the whole NHLPA thing? Wasn't that his only hockey non playing experience? Then he did real estate and gyms?

It is what it is. I just wonder how bad the team will actually be for how long. It kinda looks like we will be a bottom 10 or even a bottom 15 team for the next 2-3 years at a minimum.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
They got lucky with Gallagher retiring.

Can't imagine he wouldn't be raking them over the coals.

Blake Price hasn't exactly been complimentary from what I have read, but he's like a special correspondent or something and isn't a regular contributor.

I'm wondering what Dan Russell has said/would say about the team's current state of affairs.

He wouldn't be a "mouthpiece" for the Canucks that's for sure (unfortunately he too often let bitterness get in the way of things).

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
You should see what fans on the Canucks facebook page post. Hell, even the Vancity Buzz facebook page. They're almost all pro Benning.

Ah well. The upcoming years of mediocrity and a bad hockey team is what they deserve I guess.

Money talks my friend.

Let's see how many of these "pro-Benning management" types actually are willing to open up their wallets to buy season tickets for a team that just finished in 28th place.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Money talks my friend.

Let's see how many of these "pro-Benning management" types actually are willing to open up their wallets to buy season tickets for a team that just finished in 28th place.

Looks like it's working on media & general fan perception to me, but the poor on ice product is really hurting them with the paying customer.

zoolander09

Oct 23, 2009
linden had one job.
hire a gm and let him do his job.
benning has been an unbeleivable failure.
from the kesler deal to the hamhuis non deal he has failed.
linden has to at some point take some responsibility.
linden has been heavily overated as a player and left as a crybaby when messier arrived, showed a real lack of leadership at the time, even though the situation was handled badly by management.
linden was solid here in vancouver as a player for 7-8 years.
when he was dealt by keenan it was time and this deal remains one of the best in canuck history.
linden failed badly as a player in ny, montreal and washington, less than a year in each place.
was never a "star" just a hardworking guy with some talent.
he had to interview benning!
did he not have a better candidate?
he has to take responsibility for this mess.
if you hire incompetent people you fail.
this article was fair and truthful, not a hack job!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad