Votes: 6 6.1%
  • $3.5

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Do you think he is a modern day power forward?

What players would you compare him to? (active players or those who have already finished their career)

As someone said earlier, he seems like the kind of player teams would want. The kind of player teams are looking for at the trade deadline. Physicality, size and nowadays also offensive. And he probably hasn't even reached his full potential yet.

He’s a Tom Wilson-lite, as much as people will hate that comparison.

Not as physical, and not dirty like Wilson. But that same straight ahead game that relies on using his body to protect the puck. Good offensive instincts, good shot, and will much more often than not settle for the high percentage play.

SwayHeyKid

Living by faith, not by sight.
Mar 14, 2022
Regardless how Freddy ends this season it is absolutely insane that people were complaining about a 2.3 mil contract....
Yeah it was strange 17 es goals and 2.3 million is really nothng in the grand scheme of things.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Yeah it was strange 17 es goals and 2.3 million is really nothng in the grand scheme of things.
The debate was whether or not he would have been able to replicate the success this season. Last year was his first with those kinds of numbers and we don’t have the depth in the roster we were so fortunate to ice during his career year.

The concerns were valid. It was a gamble. However it appears that he won’t simply replicate - he’s looking to surpass. I’m very happy they opted for two years.

Grasshopperking

Sponsor
Jun 5, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
He’s a Tom Wilson-lite, as much as people will hate that comparison.

Not as physical, and not dirty like Wilson. But that same straight ahead game that relies on using his body to protect the puck. Good offensive instincts, good shot, and will much more often than not settle for the high percentage play.
I think the implications that comes with a Wilson comp is what people are disagreeable to. All the aspects you've described could be found in other players that aren't dirtbags.

A player that plays a straight ahead game, who uses his body to protect the puck, good offensive instincts, good shot and plays smart could just as well be Brayden Schenn without all the other caveating.

Reactions: Over the volcano

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
at most it's a 2 minute boarding penalty. much ado about nothing for me.

and jeannot does that stuff all the time.
If that's a Leaf or Hab (prob Rags too) getting crumpled, it's a non-stop pearl clutchathon on Canadian media followed by a DPS phone meeting.

Good on Fred, though, and well earned by Jeannot.

Reactions: neelynugs

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Regardless how Freddy ends this season it is absolutely insane that people were complaining about a 2.3 mil contract....

I was pretty negative on Fred and even I couldn’t argue with that number.

I think the implications that comes with a Wilson comp is what people are disagreeable to. All the aspects you've described could be found in other players that aren't dirtbags.

A player that plays a straight ahead game, who uses his body to protect the puck, good offensive instincts, good shot and plays smart could just as well be Brayden Schenn without all the other caveating.

Is Brayden Schenn good with the gloves off? Also, as much as I think Fred has shown in terms of offensive skill, I would bet my entire worth on him not peaking at 70 points as Schenn did. Wilson who peaked at 52 and is more a ~40 point/season player is the far better comparison.

Frederic is still going to be best a “complimentary” offensive player. Like Wilson. Schenn is just a tier or two above.

I get why people wouldn’t like it but I do think the Wilson comparison is around as close as you’re going to get.

Last edited:

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Should Freddy get a shot in the top 6, or is it better for him to continue his role on line 3?

Reactions: JCRO

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
at most it's a 2 minute boarding penalty. much ado about nothing for me.

and jeannot does that stuff all the time.

Yeah 2 mins for me, fairly clear boarding. Combine that with the fact that Jeannot was put out of the game and might be shelved for a bit longer and I can see why Tampa fans would be salty. Would be plenty of the same here if the roles were reversed. At the same time, nothing particularly malicious about it, and Jeannot plays in a way where he has to know he's going to attract that sort of attention.

Good response from Freddie. May have gotten away with one there, but the intention in playing hard and sticking up for teammates is what we want to see.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Should Freddy get a shot in the top 6, or is it better for him to continue his role on line 3?
I’m not saying he doesn’t deserve it. But I think the team itself is in a better position if he’s taking advantage of matchups in the bottom 6 with JVR

I did think he deserved more PP time last night. Especially after his second goal. I don’t hate having him being the net front guy there T all.

Reactions: Skelen and NDiesel

Skelen

Jan 5, 2015

I've been saying for a couple years now I didn't see him developing into anything and wanted them to move on, but he's proven this year he doesn't need Hall and Coyle to put up points. The depth may not be as strong this year but the will to win is still in this lineup and Fred has been a great part of the heart of this team this year.

I hope he continues to prove everyone (and myself) wrong. Also want to see him on PP2 more after that wicked goal he got last night!

Reactions: NDiesel

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
His KO hit on Jeannot came on their first shift together afterJeannot finished Poitras high and hard along the boards just a few seconds before Frederic's second goal.

I was pretty negative on Fred and even I couldn’t argue with that number.

Is Brayden Schenn good with the gloves off? Also, as much as I think Fred has shown in terms of offensive skill, I would bet my entire worth on him not peaking at 70 points as Schenn did. Wilson who peaked at 52 and is more a ~40 point/season player is the far better comparison.

Frederic is still going to be best a “complimentary” offensive player. Like Wilson. Schenn is just a tier or two above.

I get why people wouldn’t like it but I do think the Wilson comparison is around as close as you’re going to get.
Sweenius part of those comps are . . .
Wilson 7 years 42 million
Schenn 8 years 52 million
Frederic 2 years 4.6 million

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad