Player Discussion Trent Frederic

Status
Not open for further replies.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
He's not a tiny guy, and frankly i'm not worried about him. Not after that fight. The League's running out of genuine Tough Guys as it is.

He may not be a top 6 player right now, but I think in the future Trent has it in him to be a solid contributor. Whether he's a third line center or second line center is up for debate and will be for some time. I'm just thrilled he's up for the moment! I've been wanting to see him play for a long while now.

Loved the fight but I`m not sure he`ll be a guy we`ll see drop the mitts a ton nor does he have to. It`s great that he showed in game 1 that if opponents think he`s a kid who`ll be easy pickins for a fight, they may think twice now. Saw some nice things from the kid, clearly not the finished product but it looked like he kept things simple, played to his strengths, had a nice board battle win I think in the 3rd, couple of shots and hits, solid debut but as fun as it was to watch him chuck em`, I`m not close to being satisfied with the 3C spot yet

Reactions: Pia8988

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
It's gonna take him time. That's all they can give him. If not at the NHL, then back down in Providence.

I'm confident that he'll get it together though. At least, i'm hoping he does. I like the guy and want him up with the team. He and Debrusk are the new guys I like the most

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Reminds me a bit of Mark Bell. Just without the off ice baggage. I can see him being a physical 20-20 guy

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
How is he such a great fighter? I know it's adrenaline also but WOW.

Not sure I'd call him a great fighter. Not a lot of technique, but a lot of willingness and energy. I don't think that's the response Tanev was expecting, so he was caught off guard. And, of course, Tanev is no fighter...at all.

All that aside, Frederic showed a lot of character right there. Gives you a glimpse into his mindset and approach; very encouraging.

Also loved Cassidy's remarks afterward, basically saying that he was happy to finally see a young guy step up.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I don’t think Frederic will be a 8-10 fight a year guy by any stretch (probably 3-4). The other night was a product of Tanev being ticked that he got killed by Miller and thinking he could take advantage of a rookie.

I’m happy that Frederic appears willing and able to drop them if necessary, but I prefer that he use his size and strength for more productive things, like scoring goals and causing turnovers.

I hope he settles in, plays his game and earns more minutes than he got the other night.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I don’t think Frederic will be a 8-10 fight a year guy by any stretch (probably 3-4). The other night was a product of Tanev being ticked that he got killed by Miller and thinking he could take advantage of a rookie.

I’m happy that Frederic appears willing and able to drop them if necessary, but I prefer that he use his size and strength for more productive things, like scoring goals and causing turnovers.

I hope he settles in, plays his game and earns more minutes than he got the other night.
Well, he didn't have much of a choice in that fight. He was grabbed, challenged and obliged.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Well, he didn't have much of a choice in that fight. He was grabbed, challenged and obliged.

I wasn’t referring to just that fight. He has shown a willingness to stick up for teammates in PRO, which is good.

Now that he has the first fight out of the way and showed well, I hope it gives him some confidence and he settles in.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
My only concern with Frederic is that he seems to be shrinking. He has gone from 6'5 on draft night, to 6'3 when he started in Providence and now for his Bruin's debut NESN has him at 6'1. This is a serious concern, he may have the same disease as Benjamin Button :O

Bruce Cassidy Praises Trent Frederic After Debut: ‘He’s As Advertised’ 6'1 (NESN)

A bigger, better Trent Frederic has Bruins rethinking his NHL potential 6'2 (WEEI)

At one point they had him listed at 6'5. I remember when we drafted him I thought well he is big at least. At this rate he will be 5'10 by 2021.
I thought I recalled him being listed as 6'2" consistently until the Providence website listed him at 6'5" at the begining of the season, likely in error.

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
Well, for reference, I’m 5’10” and he’s significantly taller than I am. A solid 4-5 inches.

I don’t think he’s 6’5” as others out there have suggested, but 6’2” or 6’3” seems pretty accurate— he’s a big dude. Next time he’s on the ice try and see how lines up next to Backes or Carlo, before and after the whistle when the camera is hanging around.
I would estimate he is 6-1 or so. They always inflate the height :eek:

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
He looks like he's going to need the usual 10-20 games to get fully comfortable out there and start making plays but I like his compete level, size, and shot. He's also an eye popping 74% at the dot. :amazed:
It has been hard to get a sense of things regarding Frederic because his line has not been getting many minutes, and the line personnel has been switched up on him in his several games. He hasn't done anything spectacular other than the fight, but then again look who his linemates have been -- not exactly world beaters this season. I agree that his compete level has been good, as has his nose for getting dirty. He apparently loves to get right into the mix of things and battle. Hope he gets more games, and would be cool if he had more to work with than a 4th liner and an aging slow vet.

Reactions: PlayMakers

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
It has been hard to get a sense of things regarding Frederic because his line has not been getting many minutes, and the line personnel has been switched up on him in his several games. He hasn't done anything spectacular other than the fight, but then again look who his linemates have been -- not exactly world beaters this season. I agree that his compete level has been good, as has his nose for getting dirty. He apparently loves to get right into the mix of things and battle. Hope he gets more games, and would be cool if he had more to work with than a 4th liner and an aging slow vet.
it`s the running issue with the 3rd all season, the most common denominator in all this is #42

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Its only been 3 games, but so far, that 3rd line has been better with JFK at center.

In any case, neither one of them should be the #3C in the playoffs, so its all academic anyway....

Reactions: JCRO and BigBear83

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Its only been 3 games, but so far, that 3rd line has been better with JFK at center.

In any case, neither one of them should be the #3C in the playoffs, so its all academic anyway....
Agree do think JFK was better,also agree neither one should be there third line Center for playoffs.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
He looks like he's going to need the usual 10-20 games to get fully comfortable out there and start making plays but I like his compete level, size, and shot. He's also an eye popping 74% at the dot. :amazed:

Maybe this is enough for him to stick around as the 4th line C.

Because I don't know why people keep calling his line the 3rd line. It isn't. It's the 4th line. His line has been 4th in ice-time every game he's played.

He looks fine as a strong face-off defensive center. I think it's probably unrealistic to think he's going to generate much in the way of offense even if he stays up the rest of the year.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I’m a huge Frederic guy, and while I don’t think he looks out of place, I don’t think he’s the guy you roll with at 3C for the playoffs, if you want to advance deep.

The only way I would amend that is if they somehow surrounded him with better talent. If they added a real good wing and were able to drop DeBrusk to the third line, with someone like Heinen (74-82-43), maybe that would work?

I think Frederic has a bright future in Boston, but probably not until next year earliest.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Maybe this is enough for him to stick around as the 4th line C.

Because I don't know why people keep calling his line the 3rd line. It isn't. It's the 4th line. His line has been 4th in ice-time every game he's played.

He looks fine as a strong face-off defensive center. I think it's probably unrealistic to think he's going to generate much in the way of offense even if he stays up the rest of the year.

You do realize that this makes Noel our 3C :laugh:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I’m a huge Frederic guy, and while I don’t think he looks out of place, I don’t think he’s the guy you roll with at 3C for the playoffs, if you want to advance deep.

The only way I would amend that is if they somehow surrounded him with better talent. If they added a real good wing and were able to drop DeBrusk to the third line, with someone like Heinen (74-82-43), maybe that would work?

I think Frederic has a bright future in Boston, but probably not until next year earliest.
pretty much spot on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad