Player Discussion Trent Frederic

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Is Frederic not NHL ready or is he just not ready to carry around two offensively challenged anchors in Backes and Nordstrom?

Probably both but it would have been nice to see him with some guys who can at least create a little offense.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Is Frederic not NHL ready or is he just not ready to carry around two offensively challenged anchors in Backes and Nordstrom?

Probably both but it would have been nice to see him with some guys who can at least create a little offense.
Most guys who get called up don’t get first line duties,usually have to work their way up,I liked the fight hs first ,he definitely isn’t afraid to stand up for himself,but other than that I haven’t seen much from him,he just doesn’t look ready,that entire third line ,or forth line really is what they are is terrible.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
If you compare Frederic's 7 games to the last 7 games JFK played in Boston, it's clear at this point that they made a mistake in swapping out JFK for Frederic.

Even his FO% is misleading. He's only taking draws on his strong-side, Backes is taking the draws on his weak-side, which further skews the numbers in Frederic's favour.

I like the kid, a lot actually, but right here right now the better player got sent to Providence, and now JFK is injured so he's not an option either.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
If you compare Frederic's 7 games to the last 7 games JFK played in Boston, it's clear at this point that they made a mistake in swapping out JFK for Frederic.

Even his FO% is misleading. He's only taking draws on his strong-side, Backes is taking the draws on his weak-side, which further skews the numbers in Frederic's favour.

I like the kid, a lot actually, but right here right now the better player got sent to Providence, and now JFK is injured so he's not an option either.
Yes JFK was producing not at a torrid clip but he was showing up on the scoresheet and gaining confidence. Bring him back.

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
He was on fire down in Providence. He's just not ready for the speed of the NHL game. Nothing wrong with giving him a look to see but it's clear he's not an option for this season.
in that case, it could very well be his call up had more to do, or also to do, with the powers that be wanting him to see first hand what he needs to improve on to stick with the big club. Sometimes when you're dominating the level you're at, it's easy to lose your motivation to improve

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
He was on fire down in Providence. He's just not ready for the speed of the NHL game. Nothing wrong with giving him a look to see but it's clear he's not an option for this season.

Yep, pretty much it. I don`t have the luxury of watching PB games but it sounds like Hughes is having himself a nice season, maybe zip Freddy back down and let him continue to play a ton, call Hughes up for a looksy?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
JFK should be up over a Frederic

However long term I’m certain Frederic is going to be an NHL player moreso then JFK

I thought JFK was slowly but surely improving

Reactions: Cam14b and PB37

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Yes JFK was producing not at a torrid clip but he was showing up on the scoresheet and gaining confidence. Bring him back.
And IMHO he was the worst player on the team. At least Frederic has some guts and hits. JFK is the first guy I move if I'm GM , if you get a good return great but I look at him as addition by subtraction. He adds nothing.

I do think Frederic should have spent this whole season in the minors but when your GM does nothing of consequence in the off season you have to play players who aren't ready. This is one of the biggest problems Edmonton has had, forcing players into the line up when they were not ready. Sweeney has done the same this year and I wonder what the long term effects on a Donato or Frederic will be.

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
Needs to pot a goal asap

I havent seen much urgency from him to score a greasy one

Needs to score a goal or what?

Everything I've seen from him, aside from his offense, shows he's at worst a solid 3rd or 4th liner. He's been physical, solid defensively and very good at the dot. I don't think he's shown very much creativity, but I also don't see the urgency in that he
Needs to pot a goal asap
. I don't know if the offense will come, but every other aspect of his game looks good.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Needs to score a goal or what?

Everything I've seen from him, aside from his offense, shows he's at worst a solid 3rd or 4th liner. He's been physical, solid defensively and very good at the dot. I don't think he's shown very much creativity, but I also don't see the urgency in that he . I don't know if the offense will come, but every other aspect of his game looks good.

Or callup someone else

JFK is not as physical but better in other areas right now

He was also not a liability on the defensive end

You are right that Frederic may not be more than a 4th liner once the dust settles. Not bad what he has shown thus far....but a goal could spark things

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
Or callup someone else

JFK is not as physical but better in other areas right now

He was also not a liability on the defensive end

You are right that Frederic may not be more than a 4th liner once the dust settles. Not bad what he has shown thus far....but a goal could spark things

Personally I prefer Frederic over JFK. JFK brings better offense, but I think Frederic is better in every other area.

Reactions: BBruins

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011

He's been solid. Not seeing much production though.

But yeah I think it's both. He is adjusting but he's also playing with two anchors.

Different players, and I wouldn't expect the same results- but look what's happening with Heinen now that he's away from the Backes line :laugh:

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009

But yeah I think it's both. He is adjusting but he's also playing with two anchors.

Different players, and I wouldn't expect the same results- but look what's happening with Heinen now that he's away from the Backes line :laugh:

yup

but then again he can't do it all.... Nordstrom and Backes as linemates is not going to make it easy to score anything

Once all is back plus a trade for top 6

Heinen Frederic Cehlarik line could be interesting

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

He looks like a young player trying to "feel it out" still. He hasn't been bad, but I wouldn't say he's been solid. Last night he was fumbling the puck a bit. I liked his game in the third though. I will say that the fight against Tanev has bought him a lot of leeway with some in this fan base.

Backes and Nordstrom really hold back anyone they play with. They are so lost in the offensive zone. Nordstrom has seemingly always been lost there though. Backes is just done. He's old and slow. That's been reiterated enough though. No point in beating that dead horse. Whatever production he gives you is golden, and hopefully they can move on this off-season.

Reactions: Dellstrom

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
I'm happy with whatever NHL games he can get. I'm extremely confident he'll be an NHL player, and a good one, but it's great for him to get some experience here to know what he has to round out. Should be challenging for a full-time role this fall. Get the jitters out early and get a feel for playing with the big boys.

whitetape

Jun 3, 2006
He seems to be overthinking things out there, hearing the coaches' voices in the back of his brain every moment. He needs to switch them off and just try to score goals. Take it to the net and punch it past the goalie.

This may not be his year, but he's going to be a good solid player once he gains confidence.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
I think pairing young players with the right linemates is so important. They're not doing Frederic any favors putting him out there with Backes and Nordstrom, though it's not like they have much better options. With JFK injured, there aren't any better in-house options, so stick it out with him for now and hopefully they pick up a 3rd line C at the deadline.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Not playing many minutes. Seems to have a good shot. Not ready for now but I like his upside. Will give a big physical scorer to the team in the coming years.

With JFK, Frederic and Stud, Bruins need to identify and trade one of those for a 3C. Ideally with 1 more year on his deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad