Confirmed with Link: Treliving needs to go. (Edit: He Gone, Post #78)

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
I disagree with this take because like it or not we’re tied to Kadri, Huberdeau and Weegar for the foreseeable future

The reality is this team will still be too good to truly bottom out if they sell off their other pieces. As much as it’s not ideal I’d rather have them in the mix to be in the playoffs than be stuck finishing 22nd every year and drafting 10th overall

Think Tre probably gives them the best chance of staying competitive. Retrospectively of course the move was to get futures for Tkachuk and tear it down but hindsight is always 20/20. It’s too late for that now

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
First, no one said any of that. Second, you're kind of just moving the goalposts here.

Finally, the sheer denial about Murray Edwards role in the continuation of the Flames' struggles and never-ending mediocrity is absurd. He is the only constant over the last 30 or whatever years.

You can keep wishing and hoping for some magical and superhuman GM to come in and save the day but the reality is, that's not happening when their hands are tied thanks to a hapless and clueless owner who doesn't seem to understand the cap era (along with like 90% of the Flames' fanbase). And no, that's not a defense of Treliving - I've said he's mediocre to rubbish many many times already.

When the standing orders are compete and quickly, no GM is going to look good.
I am not on Edwards side but what are you going to do with the owner? Buy the team? Boycott the Flames?

Treliving failed with this owner, it’s better to find some one else. New GM can either succeed or fail spectacularly so we can get a lottery pick. That’s much better than missing the playoffs and draft 15th every other years

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

This org is truly poorly run
I don't think that that is really an indictment. We were all saying the same thing at the time. The only way we were going to be able to keep the core together was with a bridge deal. We literally didn't have room to do a long term extension. I'm sure Matthew figured that out too. He's a smart guy.

It's still definitely a result of the James Neal contract, but I don't think Tkachuk is being completely honest there.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I don't think that that is really an indictment. We were all saying the same thing at the time. The only way we were going to be able to keep the core together was with a bridge deal. We literally didn't have room to do a long term extension. I'm sure Matthew figured that out too. He's a smart guy.

It's still definitely a result of the James Neal contract, but I don't think Tkachuk is being completely honest there.
If the Flames treated him like the Sens treat Brady then I think he would have signed long term. I don’t think the Flames fully believe in him….it’s not team Tkachuk

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
If the Flames treated him like the Sens treat Brady then I think he would have signed long term. I don’t think the Flames fully believe in him….it’s not team Tkachuk

Sure, but the Flames would have been pitiful for two seasons after signing that deal. They would have had to ship out a core piece to make room for the contract, and in those first two years Tkachuk was not performing like a top line player. Treliving likely wouldn't have kept his job to year 3 under that scenario. There also would be a ripple effect to other negotiations where guys would feel like they should also be overpaid, which would further decrease the talent we could afford to have on the roster.

Treliving's RFA decisions have pretty consistently been correct by the book. His biggest issue is that he targets guys that, while everyone in the media agrees are exactly the right guys to get, end up being potatoes as soon as they get to Calgary. Some of them we can see coming, but some of them make very little sense. It's amazing how just about every acquisition has been highly-touted league-wide, but so many have nosedived.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Sure, but the Flames would have been pitiful for two seasons after signing that deal. They would have had to ship out a core piece to make room for the contract, and in those first two years Tkachuk was not performing like a top line player. Treliving likely wouldn't have kept his job to year 3 under that scenario. There also would be a ripple effect to other negotiations where guys would feel like they should also be overpaid, which would further decrease the talent we could afford to have on the roster.

Treliving's RFA decisions have pretty consistently been correct by the book. His biggest issue is that he targets guys that, while everyone in the media agrees are exactly the right guys to get, end up being potatoes as soon as they get to Calgary. Some of them we can see coming, but some of them make very little sense. It's amazing how just about every acquisition has been highly-touted league-wide, but so many have nosedived.
Nazem Kadri was a fireable offense.

We were just about to get out of the Lucic/Neal debacle, and Tre decided he hadn't learned his lesson yet. Sick and tired of it.

Reactions: Dertell

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Nazem Kadri was a fireable offense.

We were just about to get out of the Lucic/Neal debacle, and Tre decided he hadn't learned his lesson yet. Sick and tired of it.

Not sure what's up with Kadri right now, but based on the level of play he showed he was capable of earlier in the year combined with what he achieved last season, I don't have too much issue with the contract.

I'm sure we'll find out what's going on in time.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Not sure what's up with Kadri right now, but based on the level of play he showed he was capable of earlier in the year combined with what he achieved last season, I don't have too much issue with the contract.

I'm sure we'll find out what's going on in time.
He is 32. He had 1 good year. Nobody else wanted to sign him including the team he helped won the cup.

That should be enough hint

Or maybe they paired him with Gaudreau earlier and he blossomed

We know now he is truly a unicorn top talent.

Reactions: Alienblood

redfire11

Jun 22, 2016
Lets start with dumping Sutter then look for a President of Hockey Operations and let him decide on TreLiving.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Treliving should be forced to clean up this mess he made but I don't want him even attempting to build the next core. He constantly bets on the wrong people.

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016

Treliving is entirely mediocre but the real problem was, is, and will continue to be Murray Edwards.
Did Edwards told him to blow cap space on that piece of excrement Kadri?
Did he tell him point to Brouwer and Neal and said "I want"?
Did he tell Treliving to piss away picks prime picks for Hamonic, Elliot (Jordan f kin Kyrou!), Lazar? Lower picks but still assets on nothing players like Jarnkrok, Bollig, Carpenter, Fantenberg?

Treliving's core were Tkachuk (a gift from heaven) and Hamilton, then Lindholm and Hanifin. That is BRUTAL, not mediocre. He inherited Gaudreau, Gio, Brodie and pissed them all away.

And thats not even touching his coaching hires and the goalie merry go around

Last edited:

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
It's going to be an extremely interesting offseason.
The only worry I have with replacing Treliving is who the next GM will be.
Treliving is familiar with our team obviously.
There's always worse choices out there such as Chuck Fletcher, Peter Chiarelli etc.
If one of those buffoons get hired we'd be way worse off.
So, yes Treliving can go, but who do we replace him with? I'm in the same boat with Sutter.
Who's available to Coach these guys?
If we go the cheap route with Coach and GM we'll go nowhere.
I honestly don't know what we should do as an organization. We've had a very tumultuous, inconsistent season, with some better goaltending and if we scored goals instead of hitting posts we could be sitting in a very good playoff position, but we're not.
I want the youth to start playing and we know Sutter won't play them, but if the old fart vets aren't available like Lucic, Lewis, Ritchie, Stone then the kids will surely get some ice time.
Maybe we just need that youth movement in our lineup rather than bringing in new Coach and GM.
I'm not very smart when it comes to the management side of things, this year has been so difficult as a die-hard fan. I expect playoffs every year with a shot at winning the Stanley Cup.
I just don't know if there's any available Coach/GM that could come in here and improve us.
The one thing I've hated about Treliving is that he always brings in vets who do absolutely nothing on the 4th line. I'm sick of seeing scrubs out there costing us goals.
And we better not re-sign the 4 guys I mentioned above that's negative value and a step in the wrong direction.
We have a lot of decent assets going to UFA at this time next year as well. Are we committed to them? I don't know. Love to have Lindholm here for a long time, but if he wants 8 or 9 million I don't know if we'll be able to accomadate that.
I really think we had to move some guys out at the trade deadline and we did not do that. Was a great opportunity to get some picks and prospects. But....with these two in charge, what good are prospects if Sutter doesn't play them.
Like I said, should be interesting.
There was a story of a swap of GMs: Treliving for Dubas.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
As an outsider and a Calgary Flames admirer, I feel Treliving is a good GM. Too much turnover and inconsistent goaltending is what led to this off year but your core is pretty solid.

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
Wonder if Kekalainen gets fired by CBJ in the offseason. His track record there is very much like Brad's over the last decade. And like Treliving, he's somehow been able to give the impression of knowing what he's doing while not delivering any real results.

Would not be completely against hiring him if he's available. Mostly because I can't really think of any better options. Promoting Conroy just seems like such an old boys club move.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Wonder if Kekalainen gets fired by CBJ in the offseason. His track record there is very much like Brad's over the last decade. And like Treliving, he's somehow been able to give the impression of knowing what he's doing while not delivering any real results.

Would not be completely against hiring him if he's available. Mostly because I can't really think of any better options. Promoting Conroy just seems like such an old boys club move.
Get that guy who hasn't delivered results in 10 years!

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Even when his teams make the playoffs they are a long ways off and get beat by other teams’ core players. Got beaten by Getzlaf/Perry, Mackinnon, Benn/Seguin, McDavid/Draisatl. Then those same players miss the playoffs every 2nd year. It’s so obvious how inept Treliving’s efforts have been that I can’t believe how the Brad apologists can defend his record with a straight face.

Reactions: crazyfisherman

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
Get that guy who hasn't delivered results in 10 years!
Well I'm not giddy about the idea but that's about the best option I can realistically see happening this summer. He'd be a lateral move from Brad and I don't even hate Brad but his time is just up. I would not be enthusiastic about a Murray/Maloney/Conroy promotion as that would be a stale "trust the process" move in my eyes.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Well I'm not giddy about the idea but that's about the best option I can realistically see happening this summer. He'd be a lateral move from Brad and I don't even hate Brad but his time is just up. I would not be enthusiastic about a Murray/Maloney/Conroy promotion as that would be a stale "trust the process" move in my eyes.
How about Dubas! He doesn't have a contract next year, and if the leafs get bounced again, maybe him and tre can just trade places.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00