Treliving has done an amazing job with our d-core

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Here is a list of the 5/6 D's in Calgary over Brad's first three years, who played at least a game:

Brett Kulak
Tyler Wotherspoon
Deryk Engelland
Laddy Smid
Corey Potter
Rafa Diaz
David Schlemko
John Ramage
Pat Sieloff
Jakub Nakladal
Oliver Kylington
Matt Bartkowski
Nick Grossman
Jyrki Jokipakka

It's crazy the lack of talent on that list.
Of that list, there are two guys in the NHL, one guy near the NHL and one prospect. The rest are guys that aren't in the league even anymore.

When you don't have anything to begin with, it's hard to build outwards. Brad did a tremendous job over 3 years to build a youth foundation, insulate with some guys who could eat minutes (like Eggs) and try a bunch of different avenues to find solutions without hamstringing this team long term (a la Alzner deal).

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I'm a big fan of this D corps as well, but as overpaid and overrated (in some circles) as I think Stone is, I'd rather the Flames hold onto him unless they can get back a 7th dman capable of playing RD in whatever trade they make. If they just dump him and then there's an injury on the right side (not like Hamonic is ever injured ;) ), it would be very unpleasant seeing Prout get extended NHL minutes.

Can't we send him to a Saudi consulate
giphy.gif

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Here is a list of the 5/6 D's in Calgary over Brad's first three years, who played at least a game:

Brett Kulak
Tyler Wotherspoon
Deryk Engelland
Laddy Smid
Corey Potter
Rafa Diaz
David Schlemko
John Ramage
Pat Sieloff
Jakub Nakladal
Oliver Kylington
Matt Bartkowski
Nick Grossman
Jyrki Jokipakka

Of that list, there are two guys in the NHL, one guy near the NHL and one prospect. The rest are guys that aren't in the league even anymore.

When you don't have anything to begin with, it's hard to build outwards. Brad did a tremendous job over 3 years to build a youth foundation, insulate with some guys who could eat minutes (like Eggs) and try a bunch of different avenues to find solutions without hamstringing this team long term (a la Alzner deal).
Who are the 2 in the league? Engelland and...?

Calgareee

Jun 29, 2015
I would love our d pairings to look like

Brodano
Hanifin - Andersson
Valimaki - Hammer

It looks like I might get my wish... would not be at all surprised to see Stone sitting in the press box when Hamer gets back. I don’t want to get rid of Stone right away though. Good insurance to have.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

Brett Kulak
Tyler Wotherspoon
Deryk Engelland
Laddy Smid
Corey Potter
Rafa Diaz
David Schlemko
John Ramage
Pat Sieloff
Jakub Nakladal
Oliver Kylington
Matt Bartkowski
Nick Grossman
Jyrki Jokipakka

Hey now, I see a few #4D on that list.

Reactions: Flames Fanatic

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I probably have some of this wrong, given the timing, but when Brad took over as GM, I believe our defense was:

Gio-Brodie
Russell-Wideman
Butler-Smid

Our current D-core when healthy is just a wee bit better.

I think Butler was already gone, no?

I think the bottom pairing was Diaz - Engelland with guys like Smid (IR?), TSpoon and Potter as the 7th D. We also acquired Schlemko off waivers before the TDL.

I still think Nakladal was a decent NHL defenseman and still could be if he was given a shot somewhere

He couldn't hack it under Peters in Carolina.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I think Butler was already gone, no?

I think the bottom pairing was Diaz - Engelland with guys like Smid (IR?), TSpoon and Potter as the 7th D. We also acquired Schlemko off waivers before the TDL.

Could be, I was going purely off games played that year, and Bouwmeester being gone.

Butler was only ever traded once in his career so far apparently, so maybe he left as UFA. I can't recall. I remember him signing in St. Louis as a UFA.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Could be, I was going purely off games played that year, and Bouwmeester being gone.

Butler was only ever traded once in his career so far apparently, so maybe he left as UFA. I can't recall. I remember him signing in St. Louis as a UFA.

Butler played his last games in the 2013-2014 season. Brad started as GM April 28, 2014 essentially as the season ended. Maybe you're looking at the prior season roster? I do believe you are correct that Butler left as a UFA.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Butler played his last games in the 2013-2014 season. Brad started as GM April 28, 2014 essentially as the season ended. Maybe you're looking at the prior season roster? I do believe you are correct that Butler left as a UFA.

Yeah, that's my point. Butler never played for Brad, but he was technically what we had as of April 13, 2014 (our last game of the season), so two weeks before Brad that is what he had to work with.

Reactions: Fig

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
There’s room for improvement, but I like what I see from Valimaki, Andersson and Hanifin. Don’t think we need to worry too much about defense, we’ve found our replacements for the future.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
There’s room for improvement, but I like what I see from Valimaki, Andersson and Hanifin. Don’t think we need to worry too much about defense, we’ve found our replacements for the future.

Well, we only have 5 RHS D in the organization at the moment - Hamonic, Stone, Andersson, Prout, and Paliotta (Stockton). The rest of the D in Stockton are all LHS. So to me we have a capability gap at RD unless some of the farm hands are successfully converted to play RD. This constrains Tre to a degree should he want to trade an RD to make cap room.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Yeah, that's my point. Butler never played for Brad, but he was technically what we had as of April 13, 2014 (our last game of the season), so two weeks before Brad that is what he had to work with.

Ah OK, I get what you mean now. Though I have a slightly different opinion about what was Burke vs Treliving, it's really splitting hairs at this point. I do agree that there's been a serious overhaul of the D Core though.

Treliving walked into a core that was...

Pros:
- Gio??

Cons:
- Lacking RHD. Most RHD was bottom pairing at best
- Lacking pipeline D options.
- Gio/Brodie the only top 4 options (Brodie hadn't shown top pairing calibre talent yet), everyone else was 5/6/7/journeymen quality D men.
- Issues with size and physicality
- Overpaid (Smid due to injuries, Wideman due to only RHD, Eggs due to...?)

and now, most of those cons aren't significant issues anymore, even if some of them haven't been completely erased, they're not significant issues as they were before.

Last edited:
Reactions: Flames Fanatic

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Ah OK, I get what you mean now. Though I have a slightly different opinion about what was Burke vs Treliving, it's really splitting hairs at this point. I do agree that there's been a serious overhaul of the D Core though.

Treliving walked into a core that was...

Pros:
- Gio??

Cons:
- Lacking RHD. Most RHD was bottom pairing at best
- Lacking pipeline D options.
- Gio/Brodie the only top 4 options (Brodie hadn't shown top pairing calibre talent yet), everyone else was 5/6/7/journeymen quality D men.
- Issues with size and physicality
- Overpaid (Smid due to injuries, Wideman due to only RHD, Eggs due to...?)

I think the dollar amounts for Widedog and Engelland were pretty reasonable, at least before Wideman really started to slow down and couldn't really do anything but book minutes on the PP.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Hanifin-Hamonic continuing to beast on.

Seriously, our d-core has a great future...

Hanifin-Andersson
Valimaki-Brodie/Hamonic

Could be our top 4 for the next decade+

Reactions: DominikBokkFan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad