Treliving has done an amazing job with our d-core

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Hanifin-Hamonic continuing to beast on.

Seriously, our d-core has a great future...

Hanifin-Andersson
Valimaki-Brodie/Hamonic

Could be our top 4 for the next decade+

I don't think TJ discounts his contract again. Hamonic not as discounted as now but it appears he likes Calgary a great deal.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I don't think TJ discounts his contract again. Hamonic not as discounted as now but it appears he likes Calgary a great deal.

I don't think he gets much more on the open market tbh. He's a decent #3 without Giordano for most of his career besides 2015, so I doubt he'd get much more than 5 million a year. His offense isn't that impressive, and he has had ups and downs in the past. I would hope Hamonic would be willing to take 4.5 million/year, but I'm certain only one of those two are staying long-term. If I had to choose today, I'd lean towards Hamonic (more likely to take a discount to stay in Calgary, and he's played some damn fine hockey as of late).

Reactions: DominikBokkFan

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Well, we only have 5 RHS D in the organization at the moment - Hamonic, Stone, Andersson, Prout, and Paliotta (Stockton). The rest of the D in Stockton are all LHS. So to me we have a capability gap at RD unless some of the farm hands are successfully converted to play RD. This constrains Tre to a degree should he want to trade an RD to make cap room.

To think before the Hamilton trade we had 5 NHL caliber RHD and 1 D that played better on the right side. Still I'm glad we got Lindholm and Hanifin, couldn't be happier. I hope we can draft a good RHD this summer. Hopefully Victor Soderstrom.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
To think before the Hamilton trade we had 5 NHL caliber RHD and 1 D that played better on the right side. Still I'm glad we got Lindholm and Hanifin, couldn't be happier. I hope we can draft a good RHD this summer. Hopefully Victor Soderstrom.

Are you right or left handed?

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016

Soderstrom would be a great pick, would also love Anttoni Honka where RHS defensemen are concerned if Soderstrom is already off the board.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Here's a list of Treliving's trades since he's been GM. Some real block busters but also quite a few meh..
trade1.JPG
trade2.JPG
trade3.JPG

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Draft picks by the Flames while Treliving has been GM

draft1.JPG
draft2.JPG

Last edited:

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Once upon a time Reinhart was a top three, maybe top two prospect for the Flames. Now, a rough comparable in Ruzicka (Karnaukhov?) is out of the top ten.

Those were fun times.

Khrox

May 31, 2018
Honestly, BT's drafting really doesn't look to bad.
2014=3/6 with the organization, 1 is in the NHL, 1 is probably second best at his position in the A, 1 is best at position in the E. 3 not with us (of which, the only one of those 3 who even looked like he had a chance was Hickey)
2015=1/5 in the NHL, 2 others are on the verge (1 is top D call up, the other is a forward callup pushing it). The other two are probably never making it to the NHL.
2016=1/9 in the NHL, 1 started the season in the NHL (we'll see how it goes, but at the least he's close). While most are still prospects and in the organization (except Fox and Falkovsky I believe), Parsons, E2, and Phillips look pretty good.
2017=1/5 currently in the NHL and looking good, 1 of the other 4 look pretty good (Ruzicka). The rest look pretty meh to me, but it's still really early
2018= Way to early to tell but so far all of those picks except Koumontzis look pretty good to me.

BT's drafting has overall been pretty good. If even 1/4 of the non-current NHL'ers pan out, we are doing really good

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Drafting is crap shoot and I don't understand why GM's get so much heat/credit for anything other than 1st round picks. There is a reason why the Flames have a dozen or more scouts, to scout hockey games for the GM and head scout and then all of them together compile the final list.

Blame Button and scouts when things go shit and give them credit when a good pick is made. Teams (good ones anyway) go into the draft with a list and 99% of the time they stick to that list. Sure the GM will have ultimate say on who is drafted and can prioritize a player on the list if they like them (usually 1st rounders), but to think that Tre is going out and individually scouting guys like Zavgrodony, or any of the European prospects even once is laughable. He might watch some footage online that a scout takes to send back.

A GM can give guidelines though that ultimately decide who to scout and look out for. Like the 2014 draft has Burke's hand prints all over it. Useless, big truculent players that are complete busts the day they're drafted. It seems we've finally turned the corner into drafting skill guys especially with later picks. Zav, Pettersen, Sveningsson, Phillips (will bust), Mangiapane are all guys with tons of skill but are considered undersized. They are all also our most impressive looking prospects (for forwards).

As for our d-core, he did rebuild it from the ground up basically. 3 of the 6 players are new for this season and Hammer is in his 2nd. And the defence looks extremely solid.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
I remember listening to a podcast (must have been 31 thoughts) when Tom Wilson broke out apparently Brian Burke had asked for a similar player in the draft...likely Hunter Smith.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
BT's drafting, I like to look at outside of 2014. That was Burke's draft, and it shows.
Every single draft after that mark are phenomenal. Like, fantastic drafts, where at minimum it looks like they'll produce an NHL'ers at the minimum.

BT took a gamble reshaping the team over one offseason, and so far it's paying out. The Hanifin for Hamilton trade is damn near lateral at this point.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Peters, granted it's a small sample size, might be his best decision yet. Our success this year can mostly be attributed to his hiring. Lindholm coming over in that big trade is also a win, but without our new HC I highly doubt we'd be seeing this kind of success early.

Reactions: DominikBokkFan

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
BT's drafting, I like to look at outside of 2014. That was Burke's draft, and it shows.
Every single draft after that mark are phenomenal. Like, fantastic drafts, where at minimum it looks like they'll produce an NHL'ers at the minimum.

BT took a gamble reshaping the team over one offseason, and so far it's paying out. The Hanifin for Hamilton trade is damn near lateral at this point.

Do you mean the two are similar in contribution or? Because the trade itself is anything but lateral. The Flames added a PPG forward with a right shot who can penalty kill and take faceoffs for under $5 mil long term. Then obviously the d-man switch which IMO is an upgrade in the short future.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Do you mean the two are similar in contribution or? Because the trade itself is anything but lateral. The Flames added a PPG forward with a right shot who can penalty kill and take faceoffs for under $5 mil long term. Then obviously the d-man switch which IMO is an upgrade in the short future.

Isn't Hanifin even outscoring Dougie this season so far? I'm ready for a healthy serving of crow on that trade at season's end. What a smart move by Tre.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Isn't Hanifin even outscoring Dougie this season so far? I'm ready for a healthy serving of crow on that trade at season's end. What a smart move by Tre.

Hanifin has 8 assists for 8 points and Hamilton has 3G, 4A for 7 points. Hanifin +1, Hamilton -2. Hanifin averages like 10 seconds more ice-time. More interesting though his ATOI is 1:30 lower than last year and Hanifin is averaging 1:30 more than last year. Hanifin is also several years younger and IMO his defensive game is already on par if not better than Hamilton's. I also get the sense from Noah that he wants to keep improving his game every year whereas I never ever got that feeling from Dougie. Hamilton is still one hell of a player, but Hanifin has been everything I wanted from the trade. If only he could pot some goals and that'd be golden.

I like our D-core, we're still missing that Adam Fox type high-end PPQB. None of Giordano, Brodie, Andersson, Hanifin are quite that guy. Valimaki or Kylington might be, though.

Andersson was that PP QB guy in every league prior to the NHL and he is very posed in the o-zone. He is just a rookie though and they haven't given him free reign to run the 2nd unit yet. Ras has another couple gears to go in the NHL and can be an effective PP QB IMO.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I can't help but think that Peters has asked Valimaki and Andersson to be a shutdown pairing rather than get cute and get exposed. It's not a bad idea since both are rookies. I think the more they do well being defensively responsible, Peters will loosen the leash and allow them to play their offensive game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->