Treliving has done an amazing job with our d-core

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Boston Bruins - Calgary Flames - October 17th, 2018

It wasn't until I saw the box score did I realize just how young our defense is. Seriously, 2 of our top 4 dman are under the age of 22, and 20 year old valimaki is already getting more minutes than stone as well. Both valimaki
and hanifin are getting tons of pk time, and the later got over more ice time than #4 best NHL dman and stud leader Mark Giordano. These are truly great days.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

BobColesNasalCavity

Oct 15, 2016
West Side
We really need to get rid of Stone once Hamonic is back. Can't we send him to a Saudi consulate or send him to the minors or something if we can't trade him? I just want his salary off the books for the rest of this year and next.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I don't think people appreciate how young the team is as a whole. But yeah, Treliving's done a fantastic job with the defence with two of his draft already making big impacts.

One of the reasons why I'd be comfortable with giving Treliving a Poile/Wilson like tenure here. He's systematically addressed almost every single weakness the organization has had since coming over. The only thing left is an actual longterm goaltending solution but I have no doubt he'll get to it once there's something out there that actually makes sense. For now though, he just needs to let the roster find a rhythm and hold off on any more significant moves.

Can't we send him to a Saudi consulate
tenor.gif

It doesn't make sense to trade Stone before the summer (unless there's a defencemen coming back in the deal). Depth has value.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Back to the topic at hand, yes, our D is much improved over last year. For starters I don't miss Dougie, one iota. Brodie is back at his natural position at RD and is playing exceptionally well once again with Gio. Hanifin has Brodie's old spot and I'm running out of superlatives for this kid. Big, skates exceptionally, smart, is good in all three zones, long reach, actually hits people, great stick when defending, tape to tape passes. Young Andersson is fitting in very well as Hanifin's partner. Also a great skater (better than Hamonic IMO), is defensively responsible, is built like a tank, and is getting better every day. Valimaki is a huge upgrade to Kulak who was a huge upgrade over Bartowski. You don't seem to notice Valimaki when he's out there. He is very smooth and when paired with Stone (or Hamonic when he returns) has been very effective.

I suspect that when Hammer comes back, Stone will be in the press box, to be rotated in and out of the line-up, to keep the corps. fresh. Prout will be sent to Stockton.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
My one big concern is that we lack a RHS PPQB. There's a fair bit of data that suggests there is a relationship between a great RHS PPQB and strong power plays.

Was kind of hoping Adam Fox would be that guy for us.

Maybe Andersson can be, though he's not nearly as offensively dynamic as Fox *shrug*.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
He certainly has yes. Both as a group and as individuals they're very strong. He also hired Bill Peters, who recently had some success in shaping the young blueline in Carolina. Coaching can have a huge effect on young players. Great choice to bring along Andersson and Valimaki.

Would really like Andersson to stay up with the team even after Hamonic returns. You can press box Stone and rotate him in for the odd back to back or if one of the younger guys looks like they need settling for a couple games. Or, when the inevitable injury occurs then this makes the transition more seamless. People like to think that the only way to "develop" players is by having them play big minutes in the AHL. Those people are ignoring the development potential in playing, training, and travelling as part of the best league in the world.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
He certainly has yes. Both as a group and as individuals they're very strong. He also hired Bill Peters, who recently had some success in shaping the young blueline in Carolina. Coaching can have a huge effect on young players. Great choice to bring along Andersson and Valimaki.

Would really like Andersson to stay up with the team even after Hamonic returns. You can press box Stone and rotate him in for the odd back to back or if one of the younger guys looks like they need settling for a couple games. Or, when the inevitable injury occurs then this makes the transition more seamless. People like to think that the only way to "develop" players is by having them play big minutes in the AHL. Those people are ignoring the development potential in playing, training, and travelling as part of the best league in the world.

Andersson's made more progress in the last four games than he made all last year between the AHL and NHL.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Andersson's made more progress in the last four games than he made all last year between the AHL and NHL.

I think I saw someone post that he led the Flames for 5v5 TOI. Very nice couple games from him other than against the Blues. Feel the same way about Dube honestly, unless they are obviously struggling with the level of competition there's no reason to send them down. You can learn a lot as a young player being a part of an NHL team, especially an NHL team that looks like it should be making the playoffs. The NHL team has better facilities, better coaching, better training staffs, better players around them to learn from, not to mention that when you get that first 6 figure paycheck, you kind of want to get better and see some more.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
First of all I want to say how overjoyed I am to have Hanifin in the lineup as opposed to Hamilton. When the trade was made, a lot of people (Canes fans and others) were saying that Hamilton, right now, was the better player and Hanifin only looked as good as he did because he was only exposed to sheltered minutes. I tended to believe that not having watched a lot of Hanifin's play. They're wrong. We definitely came out on top in the Hamilton for Hanifin swap. Right now I say Hamilton who?

I look forward to the day that we can rotate like clockwork all 3 defensive pairings and you don't have to worry about who's out against who. That day is coming soon.

I fully expect that Stone will be traded this year and the only question is when. Hopefully we can get a couple of draft picks for him as the Flames need to restock their prospect cupboard. Its looking a little bare these days.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I think I saw someone post that he led the Flames for 5v5 TOI. Very nice couple games from him other than against the Blues. Feel the same way about Dube honestly, unless they are obviously struggling with the level of competition there's no reason to send them down. You can learn a lot as a young player being a part of an NHL team, especially an NHL team that looks like it should be making the playoffs. The NHL team has better facilities, better coaching, better training staffs, better players around them to learn from, not to mention that when you get that first 6 figure paycheck, you kind of want to get better and see some more.

I think dube will be sent down soon. He's been ok, but he definitely has some work to do and could use the year of conditioning.

Reactions: Cyrano

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
For all the genius that want to get rid of Stone, Prout would be a regular if there is an injury...all the sudden the defense is not so hot.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
When Hammer comes back Stone is pretty much done as a Flame. Ras has already taken over his role and Hammer will play with Vali.

Only 3-4 more weeks baby.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Stone is perfect as a 7D honestly, to finish the year.
The kids outplayed him. Send Prout down the AHL; because there's no circumstance he should be coming into the game.

Guys. We see how Hammer can miss weeks based on a random punch to the face; in an instant we could lose another RHD, then we'd have Prout in. When Prout's in, Stone looks like Bobby Orr.

Good vet dude, a guy you'd kind of want to trade for at the deadline as is; so there's no reason to move on from him yet. If in the summer you want a cheaper option, I'm sure you could get a return for Stone with a year left on his contract.

That all being said. BT has done a tremendous job insulating his backend and making it a real point of strength. So much so, if someone told me in 3 years Calgary's backend was considered the class of the league, I wouldn't be surprised.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Stone is still a decent NHL defenceman. Keep him all year long for depth. This team is attempting to get to contender status; need as much depth as we can have. Look how everyone was writing off Frolik. He's still an elite two way 3rd liner with speed. Why trade Frolik and Stone for 2nd/3rd round picks right now? We would then be moving those picks for similar guys at the deadline.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
The kids outplayed him. Send Prout down the AHL; because there's no circumstance he should be coming into the game.

Guys. We see how Hammer can miss weeks based on a random punch to the face; in an instant we could lose another RHD, then we'd have Prout in. When Prout's in, Stone looks like Bobby Orr.

Good vet dude, a guy you'd kind of want to trade for at the deadline as is; so there's no reason to move on from him yet. If in the summer you want a cheaper option, I'm sure you could get a return for Stone with a year left on his contract.

That all being said. BT has done a tremendous job insulating his backend and making it a real point of strength. So much so, if someone told me in 3 years Calgary's backend was considered the class of the league, I wouldn't be surprised.

Exactly this Volica. Stone really at this point is insulation and an insurance policy for the kids. Yes he’s a luxury but it’s damn good one to have because there’s usually a good chance that there’s at least 1 injury to someone on the backend.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009

Yes, Stone should be traded but there's no rush to do it right away. Assuming that everything goes well and we are a playoff team, the 2019 draft would be the best time.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I probably have some of this wrong, given the timing, but when Brad took over as GM, I believe our defense was:

Gio-Brodie
Russell-Wideman
Butler-Smid

Our current D-core when healthy is just a wee bit better.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I probably have some of this wrong, given the timing, but when Brad took over as GM, I believe our defense was:

Gio-Brodie
Russell-Wideman
Butler-Smid

Our current D-core when healthy is just a wee bit better.
That bottom pairing was a bit of a calamity but Gio-Brodie back then were both beasts and Russell-Wideman was a solid stopgap 2nd pairing. Obviously I'd take our group now but there are/were worse top 6s out there.

At least our goaltending now is somewhat competent

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad