Confirmed with Link: Travis Sanheim signs for 2 years, $3.25 million annually

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
You can't force a player to sign long-term. He can choose to bet on himself and try to earn the bigger contract on his 3rd deal. If Sanheim plays well enough the next 2 years to earn that big extension, that bodes really well for the Flyers.

That’s very true. The hope is that Harvard did all he could to try and get a long term deal.

It’s funny, I think I’ve grown to like Sanheim more than Provorov. Hopefully he knocks it it out of the park, but there is definite risk with short term.

If he plays well, being up against the cap is going to possibly make for some tough decisions.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Yeah he was the worst guy to bridge.

I am disappointed, but hey we got him signed so whatever I guess. Damage is done.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Guaranteed financial security in case he has a career-ending injury?
I mean sure, but if he really is the player people on this board think he is, he'll get so much more money in two years. He and his agent know that.
He had a fine season, but it's not like he was competing for the Norris trophy.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
tenor.gif

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Smart move by Sanheim.

He’s the biggest winner of this deal. Not the Flyers. Good for him.

I really do get a vibe Fletcher just loves to throw that money around. Hopefully he proves me wrong as more and more deals are made.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
It’s pretty hard to believe that Sanheim wouldn’t take say $30m guaranteed right now if he was offered it. That’s a ton for someone that hasn’t made anything yet
Marner hasn't made anything yet either and look at his demands. Not like Sanheim is even close to Marner level, but these young players want to get paid.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
I mean sure, but if he really is the player people on this board think he is, he'll get so much more money in two years. He and his agent know that.
He had a fine season, but it's not like he was competing for the Norris trophy.
Exactly. He got what he deserved and now is playing for more.

Reactions: LorneMalvo

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If I'm a player I want a 2-3 year bridge deal because I'll be 24-26 for my next contract and have a shot at a high priced 7-8 year deal through age 31-32. Teams probably feel the same, if players are asking for money close to UFAs, why not wait to give it to them if you're not saving much signing them early.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Marner hasn't made anything yet either and look at his demands. Not like Sanheim is even close to Marner level, but these young players want to get paid.

Of course Marner's done more, but I would caution comparing anyone to the Marner situation. Paul Marner is a complete lunatic. He changes circumstances the same was LaVar Ball does. Maybe more.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
If one of of provy or konecny are bridged as well I am worried that this team is taking a two year approach with this new regime. That will leave more cap space and I am sure we will pursue some free agents, which isn't a good thing. The prudent thing is to sign these guys to long term contracts now.

This team is starting to make unnecessary sacrifices to compete now. 1. If this is the intended goal its the wrong one. 2. It's the wrong window to shoot for . 3. if this is the just beginning of the moves being made to have a 2 year window just wait for the bad moves we make down the line .

Teams need to stop forcing competitiveness and instead allow their talent to dictate where they are in the process. WHen you force yourself to be competitive you turn into Buffalo and Edmonton.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Not a good move. Good cap hit, but man... this is a risk management nightmare.

We had potential to make a 5X5 move which I think Sanheim would've accepted or even 5X5.5 which would be great.

Hmmmm. I really want to see what TK and Provy get
And then he is a UFA at age 28 and want a 7-8 year retirement deal.

I think you will actually start seeing MORE bridge deals....because that seems to be the only time to get good deals with the way the market is changing.

The long term 2nd deal is looking less and less like bargain deals that you used to get...they are getting UFA money now. So now the bridge deal is almost replacing that once "cheap 2nd deal for RFA years".

Whatever...we have Travis for 2 years....then potentially 8 more after that. In fact, next summer I would be talking to Trav's agent and trying to go long term and tell him with the CBA up in the air, the 8 year deals could be no longer an option. Hmmm......plus they could push the "bonus money" option as I am sure the idea of getting no money if there is a strike doesn't look like a good option for Travis.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad