Confirmed with Link: Travis Sanheim signs for 2 years, $3.25 million annually

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
I’ll also throw it out there. I’d like to one negation made where I am actually impressed by Fletcher.

Maybe it’s just a vibe, but Hextall seemed to be better at this sort of thing.

Reactions: Stumble40

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
RFA salaries are no longer the big discount they used to be.
It's hard to get someone to sign long-term at low cost.
If you have to pay a high price on a long-term deal, why not bridge and see if they're worth it in two years.

So bridge deals are becoming more common, which spreads the risk, then the team can negotiate a long-term deal at close to UFA rates with a 25-26 year old player instead of a 28-30 year old player.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Not a good move. Good cap hit, but man... this is a risk management nightmare.

We had potential to make a 5X5 move which I think Sanheim would've accepted or even 5X5.5 which would be great.

Hmmmm. I really want to see what TK and Provy get

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Sanheim wanted a bridge. Not much Fletch could do. We’ll see what happens in 2 years but at least he’s still RFA.

Obviously he would want a bridge though. I think many players would be okay taking a gamble on themselves. He also sees that there is only room for his role to grow on this team as well.

It would have been up to Fletcher to entice him to sign long term. Who knows what went behind closed doors, but Fletcher better have tried all he could to get a long term deal. I kind of doubt it.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
You can't force a player to sign long-term. He can choose to bet on himself and try to earn the bigger contract on his 3rd deal. If Sanheim plays well enough the next 2 years to earn that big extension, that bodes really well for the Flyers.

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
You can't force a player to sign long-term. He can choose to bet on himself and try to earn the bigger contract on his 3rd deal. If Sanheim plays well enough the next 2 years to earn that big extension, that bodes really well for the Flyers.
Doubt they would sign him this quickly if the goal was to sign him long term

Reactions: FLYguy3911

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
Has anyone reported this or are we guessing?

I recall Fletch saying at the draft that Sanheim’s agent had reached out to him and he was optimistic things would get done very soon. If Sanheim wanted long term I’m sure it would’ve happened.

Reactions: TheKingPin

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
This is all conjecture for right now. Sanheim could have wanted a long-term deal at a cap number that Fletcher no longer has the room for or Sanheim could have wanted a bridge.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I recall Fletch saying at the draft that Sanheim’s agent had reached out to him and he was optimistic things would get done very soon. If Sanheim wanted long term I’m sure it would’ve happened.

Right, I remember that too. That's just reading a bit too much into standard PR speak for me, as all it actually means is that they were in rough agreement. It could mean both wanted a bridge, it could mean one side did and the other was open to either, etc.

I was more wondering if someone reported it today. It could certainly come out.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
It’s pretty hard to believe that Sanheim wouldn’t take say $30m guaranteed right now if he was offered it. That’s a ton for someone that hasn’t made anything yet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad