Travis Hamonic has requested a trade PART II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disgraced Cosmonaut

Oct 26, 2002
Visit site
I love Travis, and hope that he has a reason to change his mind. But failing that, I'm going to have to look down the line a bit to maximize the return for him. If that means getting a guy like Byfuglien along with a valuable pick or a prospect, then so be it. If it means buying low on RNH, fine - so long as we can acquire a vet DMAN to replace Hamonic through the year's end.

For any team out west that will have to deal with a guy like McDavid for the next 10+ years, having a Travis Hamonic on the team will be an incredibly huge benefit. Hell, we all watched him handle Malkin in the playoffs. It's actually a bit crazy to me that more of those western teams aren't making a stronger push to get him. He's captain material, easily. In fact, for this reason alone, Edmonton should be offering the best package for Travis. They can use him as a captain and shutdown dman, and wouldn't have to worry about him in the playoffs.

Apparently, I'm in the minority in my belief that we can replace Travis with a non-Travis and still be successful this year. But I do believe that Pulock and probably Mayfield will be ready by next year so we really need to bridge a fairly short time gap on D. Buff fills that gap, even though we won't be re-signing him. The supplemental pick or prospect would have to offset the value of having Hamonic longterm.

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
As was stated earlier in this thread(s); it points to the ineptitude of the management. If you knew Hammer wanted out, why wouldn't you see if your up-and-comers are able to handle the NHL load? Why wouldn't you see if your faith in the up-and-comers was viable?

If Pulock, Mayfield, Pelech prove to be viable, this opens the door for trading for a forward.

:shakehead
We have a nice trading chip and want a top defensemen or similar back. That's why. When we're finally at a point where our development takes priority over the day to day needs on ice, we should be celebrating.

So IMHO, right now, we have Hamonic playing and once traded we'll have an NHL vet playing and no hole in the lineup but more importantly, no kid being rushed to duty, but instead, we have some NICE prospects being left to grow into NHL ready impact players.

When their time comes, it's not because we traded a vet and have to plug someone in like in years past.....or we went cheap in Wangville.

We thankfully have the ability to put kids in when we feel they will contribute to winning more by being in the lineup than not.

So I'll happily wait. And I'm not against a cup of coffee for a kid who is doing very well.....so long as we don't jump the gun as is almost TRADITION with this organization.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Ah, but Winnipeg vs any other team when it's sold out (and living an hour drive from home) will be a more enjoyable season for him.

Word. ( I never speak that language but for some reason that reply was what I needed to say)

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I love Travis, and hope that he has a reason to change his mind. But failing that, I'm going to have to look down the line a bit to maximize the return for him. If that means getting a guy like Byfuglien along with a valuable pick or a prospect, then so be it. If it means buying low on RNH, fine - so long as we can acquire a vet DMAN to replace Hamonic through the year's end.

For any team out west that will have to deal with a guy like McDavid for the next 10+ years, having a Travis Hamonic on the team will be an incredibly huge benefit. Hell, we all watched him handle Malkin in the playoffs. It's actually a bit crazy to me that more of those western teams aren't making a stronger push to get him. He's captain material, easily. In fact, for this reason alone, Edmonton should be offering the best package for Travis. They can use him as a captain and shutdown dman, and wouldn't have to worry about him in the playoffs.

Apparently, I'm in the minority in my belief that we can replace Travis with a non-Travis and still be successful this year. But I do believe that Pulock and probably Mayfield will be ready by next year so we really need to bridge a fairly short time gap on D. Buff fills that gap, even though we won't be re-signing him. The supplemental pick or prospect would have to offset the value of having Hamonic longterm.

It shouldn't be crazy to you.

Both Calgary and Edmonton are no where near a playoff spot while the Isles are. It makes no sense to trade for Hamonic right now if you are Calgary or Edmonton because they likely aren't going anywhere this season with or without Hamonic, so they'd be paying NYI's 'playoff spot price' for no reason (if that makes sense)

There will be a big push for Hamonic in the offseason when teams like Calgary and Edmonton will look to have an offseason similar to the one Snow pulled off when he acquired Boychuk, Grabovski, Halak, Kulemin, and Leddy. No cap, roster limit, etc.

It's also more likely that the asking price for Hamonic could shift from another Hamonic-caliber defenseman to something like, a top 5 pick? Mayfield will have three pro seasons under his belt and Pulock two, and there is always the UFA/RFA market as well as guys with one year left on their deal (Shattenkirk).

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
58 minutes isn't an hour, man.

Depends on traffic.

Buffalo.gif

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006

I think Pulock and Mayfield (and obviously Pelech who has spent time up) will be ready near the end of this season. That gives Snow some options at least. I would rather have them play with say, a dozen games left than throw them in the fire the way Mayfield was forced to vs WAS - though he didn't look out of place at all.

Imagine getting Polak and having Butchie deal with Polak, Pulock and Pelech:laugh:

Abe Vukota

Free 2ndGenIslander
Jul 23, 2007
It shouldn't be crazy to you.

Both Calgary and Edmonton are no where near a playoff spot while the Isles are. It makes no sense to trade for Hamonic right now if you are Calgary or Edmonton because they likely aren't going anywhere this season with or without Hamonic, so they'd be paying NYI's 'playoff spot price' for no reason (if that makes sense)

There will be a big push for Hamonic in the offseason when teams like Calgary and Edmonton will look to have an offseason similar to the one Snow pulled off when he acquired Boychuk, Grabovski, Halak, Kulemin, and Leddy. No cap, roster limit, etc.

It's also more likely that the asking price for Hamonic could shift from another Hamonic-caliber defenseman to something like, a top 5 pick? Mayfield will have three pro seasons under his belt and Pulock two, and there is always the UFA/RFA market as well as guys with one year left on their deal (Shattenkirk).

I wrongly assumed a team like Winnipeg would trip over itself to acquire someone who is willing to live in Winnipeg. I was one of the lone defenders of Buffalo as a livable destination, but Winnipeg?

Neighborhoods more dangerous than Compton, LA? Check. http://www.immigroup.com/news/top-5-worst-places-live-canada-violent-crime-rate

Rampant racism? Check. http://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/welcome-to-winnipeg-where-canadas-racism-problem-is-at-its-worst/

Distance from major cities? I mean, look at a map. Check.

I have nothing against Winnipeg at all. I'm sure it's mostly safe and mostly not super-racist. But by no means can it be described as a place people flock to, so if a really excellent player with a lot of term says he wants to be there, it seems well worth it to do virtually anything to secure his services. Most of the arguments in favor of living in really cold, really dark places boils down to "Eh, you get used to it." This guy IS TOTALLY INTO IT! Trade whatever it takes, by God.

BroadwayJay*

I wrongly assumed a team like Winnipeg would trip over itself to acquire someone who is willing to live in Winnipeg. I was one of the lone defenders of Buffalo as a livable destination, but Winnipeg?

Neighborhoods more dangerous than Compton, LA? Check. http://www.immigroup.com/news/top-5-worst-places-live-canada-violent-crime-rate

Rampant racism? Check. http://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/welcome-to-winnipeg-where-canadas-racism-problem-is-at-its-worst/

Distance from major cities? I mean, look at a map. Check.

I have nothing against Winnipeg at all. I'm sure it's mostly safe and mostly not super-racist. But by no means can it be described as a place people flock to, so if a really excellent player with a lot of term says he wants to be there, it seems well worth it to do virtually anything to secure his services. Most of the arguments in favor of living in really cold, really dark places boils down to "Eh, you get used to it." This guy IS TOTALLY INTO IT! Trade whatever it takes, by God.

What smokeshow wife of a multi-millionaire athlete wouldn't want to live in this sprawling metropolis?

sunrise3.jpg

islandermaniac

Feb 27, 2002
What smokeshow wife of a multi-millionaire athlete wouldn't want to live in this sprawling metropolis?

sunrise3.jpg

well, in defence of winnipegers, at least they didn't slaughter first nations groups by the thousands like a certain other country we all know...

sorry, broadway...i meant to reply to vukota's post

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
well, in defence of winnipegers, at least they didn't slaughter first nations groups by the thousands like a certain other country we all know...

sorry, broadway...i meant to reply to vukota's post

Those dirty dirty redcoats.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I know I participated in the derailing here, but lets circle back a bit to the actual topic.

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
One question: Pierre LeBrun reported that the Jets and Isles had "extensive discussions" and were still talking (I got this third hand from the trade board). If that is true, what could "extensive discussions" involve?

Isles: We want Trouba.
Jets: You can't have him. You can have Souray.
Isles: No UFAs.
Jets: OK you can have Myers.

What else is there to say? Seems like one phone conversation would have set the parameters for what can and can't happen.

Spybot

May 12, 2014
One question: Pierre LeBrun reported that the Jets and Isles had "extensive discussions" and were still talking (I got this third hand from the trade board). If that is true, what could "extensive discussions" involve?

What else is there to say? Seems like one phone conversation would have set the parameters for what can and can't happen.

Snow feels he should have more than Myers? Or maybe there's forwards on the table. I know that's not what Snow (or anybody) wants, but if the offer is too good (whatever that means) at one point you have to stop and think about it.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

I imagine they have discussions a little deeper than NHL 16 proposals.

They probably discussed value, what the issue is, and what Winnipeg is trying to do with their own players prior to making a deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad