GDT: Traverse City Tournament: Detroit Red Winglets vs Team Inspired by the New York Rangers

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Wow...Smith destroyed that dude with those haymakers!!!

Yeah that was pretty lopsided. I hope he gets some game sthis year, his skating has improved and he actually looks like he has some potential now to at least be a third liner. He would probably be one of the scariest guys in the league if he makes it too.

Veleno was really good today. Cholowski had his quietest game but was still good and got on the sheet. Rasmussen is massive and hard to get the puck from when he takes it to the net

cjeagle

Jul 10, 2016
Chicago
The questions regarding his offensive ceiling have plenty of merit. You dont need to take it personally and use strawmen arguments. Nobody argued he had no offensive ability.

It is all a matter of perception. A few years ago Veleno was considered a bonafide top 5 draft pick and as recently as 2 years ago he was listed by many in the top 10. Just because he had a poor first half last season, his stock started going down. He did make up for it in the second half when he was traded, but the damage was done by then. It is nice to see that he didn't really lose any of the skill that made others list him among the best players in his draft class a few years earlier.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
This goal had a missing 2nd assist from Rasmussen.

That Veleno assist belonged to Cholowski. Veleno never touched the puck.

I just copied the box score from the website that was tracking this shit

thanks for the correction

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
And a total of 6 point to lead the team in the tournament. Not bad for a #3o overall draft pick.

Yeah Veleno has looked solid for sure. Hes not Zadina/Rasmussen level of prospect so I can kinda see why he fell a bit but I still think hes closer to a 15th overall than he is 30. He does have a weak shot but he seems to do a lot of little things well and skating is elite. Carries the puck through the neutral zone but doesnt have a killer instinct or something offensively like Zadina and Rasmussen.

But like Ryan Martin was saying, this tournament is considered higher level competition than the World Juniors so the fact that hes looked as solid as he has is pretty good. He said he hopes for 18 year olds to just keep their head above water, hes done more than that

Also I mighta missed it but noone has mentioned Drapers interview at the intermission. He raved about McIsaac and said he wasnt at Canada camp but Holland was and said he was a stud there. Basically said Ras and Zadina are ready or will be very soon. Was high on Veleno, said hes a great skater that with a bit of time could be a good player, mentioned Berggrens goal thats going around the internet. Then he made sure for the second interview in a row to say Smith has been good and really physical out there

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Collected my own Scoring chance data from the 3rd game.

Detroit - NY Rangers 5-0

Scoring chances:
0 -10min, 9-5
10-20min, 5-3
20-30min, 10-6
30-40min, 5-6
40-50min, 10-1
50-60min, 6-8
Total: 45-29

High-Danger chances: 8-3
Medium-Danger chances: 13-10
Low-Danger chances: 24-16

Nice game evolution, they did got better in each game. That Wild game was a deserved loss, they earned to win the Stars and they dominated against the Rangers.

Player, (Scoring chances) + (Assisted Chances) + Other good play (screen, takeaway etc.)
#27 LW Rasmussen (3+3+2+3G+2) + (3+2+1A+3+1+1+1) + 4 (screens, 1 drawn penalty) = 29
#90 C Joe Veleno (3+1G+2+1+1+2G) + (1+2+2+2) + 0 = 17
#11 RW Filip Zadina (2+2+2+3+2) + (3A) + 3 (block + 2 good defensive plays) = 17
--------------------------------------------------------------
#49 LW Axel Holmström (3+3G) + (zero) + 3 (screens) = 9
#70 C Christopher Ehn (zero) + (1+1+2) + 1 (screen) = 5
#48 RW Givani Smith (1+1+1) + (zero) + 2 (screen + drawn penalty) = 5
-------------------------------------------------------
#53 LW Jordan Topping (zero) + (zero) + 2 (block + good PK play) = 2
#67 C Brady Gilmour (1+2) + (zero) + 1 (screen) = 4
#58 RW David Pope (1+2+1) + (1A) + 0 = 5
------------------------------------------------------
#64 LW Zach Gallant, (1+1+3G+2) + (2+1A) + 0 = 10
#81 C Trevor Yates, (1+2) + (1) + 3 (two good PK plays + drawn penalty) = 7
#92 RW Maxim Golod, (0) + (0) + 0 = 0

3 = High-Danger chance/assist
2 = Medium-Danger chance/assist
1 = Low-danger chance/assist

Conclusions:
- Dominating effort from Rasmussen. He got 29 scoring chance points which tops former Zadina high (18) with 11 extra.
- Zadina was really nicely involved in defensive end too.
- Axel Holmström, scored and disappeared.
- Christopher Ehn, somewhat better today. Skated really well.
- Givani. Weak shots and a fight. Not much more.
- Gallant and Gilmour battle went this time to Gallant. Great effort.
- Trevor Yates woke up. Was the best on the PK.
- Maxim Golod totally disappeared somewhere.

Defence, Player, (Scoring chances) + (Assisted Chances) + Other good play (screen, takeaway etc.) + Zone exits (+plus - minus)
#21 LD Dennis Cholowski (1+1+1+1+2+1+1) + (1+2+1+2+1A) + 1 (good PK play) + (Exits +2 -0) = 18
#62 RD Trevor Hamilton (1) + (2) + 2 (block and good def.play) + (exits +0 -0) = 5
-----------------------------------------
#63 LD Jared McIsaac, (1) + (1A) + 0 + (Exits +1 -0) = 3
#29 RD Vili Saarijärvi, (1+1) + (1) + 2 (hit and block) + (Exits +1 -0) = 6
-----------------------------------------
#94 RD Alec Regula, (1) + (zero) + 1 (drawn penalty) + (Exits +0 -0) = 2
#50 RD Reilly Webb, (1) + (1) + 0 + (exits +1 -1) = 2

- Cholowski domination at defence again. how consistent can he be. Has netted 15-18-18 points on my scale.
- Hamilton also played better game as Cholo's partner.
- Too bad McIsaac did get injured.
- Somewhat better game from Saarijärvi. Was surpringly physical and did hit people without flying himself.

Was nice to get a shutout for Rybar. Only shutout so far in the tournament. Also good team defence. Rangers were kept out from the High-Danger area, they let only 3 chances from there.

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I really like how much Ras-Veleno-Zadina like playing together. I agree with Veleno that they fit each other very well in terms of each guy can play to his strength offensively and help the other two guys.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Veleno does remind me of Larkin. Might have underrated offense simply due to playing straightforward and no one offensive tool being elite. I haven’t been super impressed by him but he doesn’t look like someone that would be out of place as a 10-20 range draft pick.

Only watched period 1 of this game will watch the rest later. Same top guys keep producing. Nice confidence starter for training camp.

A Few Good Males

Apr 15, 2018
Detroit, MI
Veleno does remind me of Larkin. Might have underrated offense simply due to playing straightforward and no one offensive tool being elite. I haven’t been super impressed by him but he doesn’t look like someone that would be out of place as a 10-20 range draft pick.

Only watched period 1 of this game will watch the rest later. Same top guys keep producing. Nice confidence starter for training camp.

Agree, not flashy, not a dangler. Takes the puck wide almost every zone entry, but seems to be effective in doing so.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Is there an outside chance that Veleno could actually play this year? It's only a prospects tourny, but man, he's impressed me with his speed and demeanor out there. Hockey IQ is through the roof.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
It is all a matter of perception. A few years ago Veleno was considered a bonafide top 5 draft pick and as recently as 2 years ago he was listed by many in the top 10. Just because he had a poor first half last season, his stock started going down. He did make up for it in the second half when he was traded, but the damage was done by then. It is nice to see that he didn't really lose any of the skill that made others list him among the best players in his draft class a few years earlier.
Don't even have to go back that far. He was listed in the top 10 for large parts of the last season, and was averaging around 12-15th on most final draft rankings.

Is there an outside chance that Veleno could actually play this year? It's only a prospects tourny, but man, he's impressed me with his speed and demeanor out there. Hockey IQ is through the roof.

0% chance he starts with the team IMO, but I think if we have a lot of injuries, a late season callup could be possible. Outside of Turgeon, I don't think we have a more NHL ready center than him in the system who is not currently expected to be (Rasmussen) on the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad